Quick questions or advice sought (Germany related)

55 posts in this topic

Right I was looking for a thread dedicated to asking small questions or advice, that just aren't important enough to merit a full thread. Their is a thread for questions which are non-germany related, but non of which I could find dedicated to things germany related. So I thought I would start one.

Anyway I'm looking for a quick tip. I'm trying to get my hands on a suit bag for traveling. The problem is I'm traveling tomorrow morning and have about half an hour (before nine) to find one. I'm going to try Real but I doubt they will have such a useful thing. Does anyone have any suggestions about where I could find one on such short notice, and so early in the morning. At a pinch I'm just going to throw a garbage bag over the shirts and travel with them like that.

...I'm going to try Real but I doubt they will have such a useful thing. Does anyone have any suggestions about where I could find one on such short notice, and so early in the morning. At a pinch I'm just going to throw a garbage bag over the shirts and travel with them like that.

Many shops won't be open before 9 a.m. anyway, so you're probably a SOL. Do you have one of those plastic garment bags that you can store suits, etc. in in your closet (Ikea sells them). In a pinch, use one of those? Or try a low budget shop in your neighborhood, though again, not sure if they're open that early. Otherwise luggage shops at the airport will sell them. Not sure of their opening hours though.

BTW, Real did sell travel luggage the first half of the year (Wagener or the like). And they do have cheap luggage too. Good luck!

Yeah that's all I'm looking for really, a garment bag. Real opens at seven and is right next door, wasn't sure if they sold luggage or not. Thanks for the help!

Edit: the airport was also a good idea! the shops open at 6.30 or 7.30 so will be open early enough to hit up!

Topic merged by admin

Feeling bored and wanted to ask anyway even though this will be sometime away before we need the actual REAL info but just thought I'd get a feel for it now, but what is the work situation like for someone who has a (aussie) Bachelor of Medical Radiations to work as a radiographer in germany, also how easy would it be to get him approved to work there he is a german born aussie (came out when he was a toddler) who has a dual english/aussie passport and he has lots of family (aunts, uncles cousins) living in germany about an hour away from Frankfurt. (oh we only want to live there almost on a working holiday kind of thing just for 12mths/2years we have quite a close family here as well but we want to get to know the country where hubby was born) and he speaks fluent german.

Also for the aussies already over what are your opinions on Germany compared to Australia?

It's incredible that so many Germans who apparently have large German families here and speak fluent German have to get their (non-German, non German-speaking) spouses asking this sort of question about basic German life to a bunch of random immigrants who have often not been here very long. Unless it's not their idea of course.

I presume he knows how the healthcare system works here given he can read German web sources and refer to family. In his field, the most important thing if he wants to work in Germany is what the German career path for radiographers is and that above point on qualification equivalence. The second is to consider how employable he will be in his field when his stated intention is to only stay a while (the German workplace very much values longevity).

For a short term stay, I'd say the best bet is to get that family to set him up with something, assuming that "an hour from Frankfurt" (which means nowhere near Frankfurt so perhaps get yourself clear on exactly where it is) is one of the fuller employment bits.

I guess this is the right place to ask.. One, what are those pincer thingies called that garbage people use to pick up small bits of trash off the street/sidewalk, etc..? Two, where can I buy one?

I am totally sick of picking up individual Legos and other random toys one by one, and it's only a matter of time til my back goes out doing it. This trash-picker-upper thingie could be a life(or at least back) saver.

I don't know what they're called or where you'd get those particular ones, but have you thought about BBQ tongs with long handles? I'm sure they'd do the job. I'm sure they'd have them at a TOOM, OBI or Bahaus or somewhere like that.

Abfall-Greifer or Müll-Greifer is the term

Assuming that it isn't you who litters the Legos I would simply recommend to handle the problem according to the " Verursacher-Prinzip". The one who litters is the one who recollects. My daughter learned that from early on.

According to google Abfall-Greifer look somewhat like BBQ tongs and I don´t think you would want to pick up one Lego piece at a time. Wouldnt it make more sense to have one of those shovels, that get used to pick up dog shit? (Hundekot-Schaufel)

I bought one, made of plastic, about 1 meter long, at the T€DI, euro store.

also try putting a thin nylon sock over the end of a vacuum, fasten with a rubber band, then tap them into the toy box.

I guess this is the right place to ask.. One, what are those pincer thingies called that garbage people use to pick up small bits of trash off the street/sidewalk, etc..? Two, where can I buy one?

I am totally sick of picking up individual Legos and other random toys one by one, and it's only a matter of time til my back goes out doing it. This trash-picker-upper thingie could be a life(or at least back) saver.

Beat your kids within an inch of their lives and they'll soon learn to clear up after themselves when they're done.

also try putting a thin nylon sock over the end of a vacuum, fasten with a rubber band, then tap them into the toy box.

I don't want to know how you came about this discovery.

koala is right. That´s what I meant. Only knew it as a tool for dog owners. Although I think it would encourage your kids to pick up their stuff themselves if you threaten to use the poop shovel. ;)