Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How to spend five days in Munich during Christmas

14 posts in this topic

Apart from the ususal BMW and other museum tours, visting Austria, drinking lots of Bavarian beer, what should one do to make Munich trip a great success?

I'd like to add to this, if I may...

I've been learning German with a view to a *possible* move over there at some point in the future. May never happen but hey. In the meantime, I've got a 5-day holiday 21st-25th November (all on my own) in Munich and am wondering what exactly to do!! I'm guessing it will be freezing - and possibly full of snow... so I need to plan for a packed week full of things to do during the day and at night.

The Zoo? (I'm from Edinburgh so there IS a zoo next to me)

Residenz?

Dachau tours?

City bus / segway tours?

I don't drink beer (only cider) so is it worth going to a beer house on my Norman???

Deustches Museum seems a DEFINITE for me.

Any point in doing the Englischer Garten at that time of year?

This looks decent? http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g187309-d2059399-r108687193-Pure_Bavaria_Tours-Munich_Bavaria.html

Anything else to do at nights, rather than sitting in my hotel room (rather than sitting out in the cold!)?

I don't have a WAD to spend, but I do want to enjoy myself. Scouring the tripadvisor forums for more info...

You're unlikely to have a lot of snow in Munich in November. Otherwise, there's a ton of info already here on stuff to do in Munich.

In December, keep in mind that everything will be closed on the 24th, 25th, and 26th. The city will be pretty empty of people between December 23 and January 7. Plan to do things like walk in the Englischer Garten.

Each S-Bahn line has the potential to take you to a countryside walk, ending in a warm Gaststätte near the station.

These are some I've done, but there are more on each S-line:

• S7 Groshhesselohe - River - Isarbräu
  • S7 Pullach - Burg Schwaneck/River - Rabenwirt
  • S7 Buchenrain - Woods to River - Waldgasthof.
  • S6 Mühltal - Woods - Bahnhof Mühltal
  • S6 Starnberg - Lake - Choice of Gaststätten

Check that the place is open before you go.

Neuschwanstein in Winter - If there is heavy snowfall, the road to Marienbrücke (from where you get the prefect view of the castle) will be closed.

ian's ideas/suggestions are good. If you're going to be taking the public transportation, check the schedule. MVV often runs on a reduced schedule during the Christmas-Three Kings' Day period.

Christmas time (especially after the Christmas Markets close) is not the most exciting time to be in Munich if you're looking for a lot of activity and people, but it's really nice if you want to be lazy and relax. We stayed in Munich for Christmas several years, and it was kind of refreshing as a break from the usual hustle and bustle. We watched many of our friends return to Munich in January completely frazzled after travel hassles and stressful time with family, and we were all rested up.

I second taking a day to see Neuschwanstein! I don't know how early you need to book tickets around Christmas (also note the closing dates 24/25/31 of December, and 1 of January), but that's pretty impressive and you can do that after Christmas since all the Christmas markets will be closed. http://www.neuschwanstein.de/englisch/tourist/admiss.htm

The Munich Philharmonic is also very good. Depending on when you friends are in town, perhaps you can catch one of these. http://www.mphil.de/en/concerts-tickets/?m=12&ClickSaison=20112012

Don't know what your friends would like (males? females? mix of both?), but... perhaps you can mix and match some of this.

Day 1

-sleep in and get brunch. Maybe they'd enjoy some lachs/schinken/kaese with sekt Start the drinking early! Or go with some white sausage to really bring the bavaria on!

-Visit BMW Welt or something touristy (I'd double check the hours again...)

-Get dinner at a traditional Bavarian Brauhaus! The one smack in the middle of Marienplatz gets loud and crazy with tourists, or try Weisses Brauhaus a bit down the road for more quiet fun. The last time I was there, it wasn't crowded, and no one was dancing on tables ;)

-Party it up! haven't gone clubbing that much in Munich, so I can't say what's good. heard good things about P1 from my coworkers, but a friend who grew up in Munich says its way expensive and schickimiki... never been, can't say. But the Kultfabrik is cool if you just want young, sweaty fun; at least the Stalin head will be a novelty item?

Day 2

-wake up... er... hangover?

-Do the Christmas markets and just have a lazy day in the city center. Drink gluhwein, have some schmalzkuchen, potato pancakes... yum! And enough caramel apples for a lifetime... Oh, I can't wait already!!! YES! Also highly recommend hot chocolate with amaretto. Depending on where they're from, this my be almost too much Christmas to handle.

-Frauenkirche may be open, and maybe you'll be lucky and get to sit in on some music. http://www.muenchner-dom.de/index.php?id=58 Look under Calendar > Dommusik. The stuff for late December isn't up yet last time I checked.

-Saunas are super popular during winter, and so relaxing (plus a lot are open pretty late)! Again, depending on how close you are to your friends, this may or may not be advisable, as there will be a lot of naked bodies. If you're a group of young lads and are willing to pay more, relax at an FKK place? If its a group of girls, what's better than gossiping, sipping on some mimosas and getting a mani/pedi?

Day 3

-Day trip to Austria (seems like you have this planned)

Day 4

-Have a cultural day and hit some museums, or visit some castles.

-Have kaffee and kuchen! Eat a million pastries and cakes because they are freaking delicious... and eat some more...

-Go have Hot Pot (Feuertopf) or something... It's the Chinese version of fondue where you cook meats and vegetables in your own little pot of soup (with a small personal gas/electric cooker). Ok, this is not German, but its awesome for cold winter evenings and a lot of fun with friends. http://firedragonlounge.de/index_de.html

Day 5

-Day trip to Neuschwanstein!

And, last but not least, a side note about the Zoo... The good thing about going in winter is that it doesn't smell (well I went in the heat of summer, and thought it was OK too), but I don't know what type of Zoo person you are. If you like to stay outside most of the time during your zoo trips... its freaking cold!

Well, that was a lot... Hope that helped. :)

IF you like vintage cars do not miss the Transport Museum (part of Deutsches Museum but located at the Alte Messe, Theresienhöhe, U4/U5).

Englischer Garten = waste of time, zoo okay but will cost you 9 Euro entry if my memory serves correctly.

Residenz = well worth it

Müllersche Volksbad an experience if you feel like swimming.

Dachau only if you have time and are in the mood for gloom and doom (it is basically a huge field of gravel, only one hut, crematorium and an exhibition)

We did the city walking tour which is free aside from tips over Oktoberfest, (since we had a lot of guest in town). We had a great tour guide and I even learned a few new things. I love this tour. And FYI the museums are free or discounted on Sundays.

I think, The town of Dachau is a pretty little town, nice shops and cute little christmas market. There is a smaller castle overlooking the town and it is really nice. Has a great restaurant/cafe in it that serves great pastries. On a clear day you can see Munich.

What are some options for the time after Christmas and New Years eve, since the Christmas markets close down and in general activity remains pretty less during this time?

Except for January 6, most of the usual attractions will be open (restaurants, castles, museums, etc.) It just won't be very busy until after the holidays (things will start to pick up a bit on the weekend of the 7th, people come back to town/go back to work on the 9th.