Chipped windscreen on car in Munich

24 posts in this topic

I have a chip in the windscreen of my car. Can anyone suggest a place in Munich to get it fixed? I believe it is possible to fill the chip without replacing the whole windscreen (at least from watching TV ads in the UK).

Carglass repariert.

Carglass tauscht aus.

in my mind i just shot you in the head for mentioning this...and getting that damnable song stuck in mah head. :|

If the chip is in the drivers direct line of vision they won't repair it.

Allershausen is quite correct here, but check first with your insurance company as many include a windscreen option where it can be repaired or replaced with only a minimum cost to you. When I had this problem last year it only cost me €50 to have a €1200 windscreen replaced.

It depends on your excess. See the other threads where this is already discussed at great length, in wonderful technicolour, but your insurance company is obliged to cover glass repairs above your excess without affecting your schadenfreiheitsklasse :)

As we're getting towards the end of the year and thus insurance renewal time it might be worth changing your insurance policy conditions to ensure that the excess you pay is little or nothing, before you renew it. It will increase your yearly premium, but not by the same amount as the excess and then you can have the screen replaced in the new year. As long as you don't tell them it happened this year they will pay up. Not that I've ever done this, not me, oh no.

Glass breakage is covered by the Teilkasko part of the insurance so that's what you need to change. It also covers broken lights, even though modern lights often aren't actually made of glass.

If the chip is in the drivers direct line of vision they won't repair it.

You can check on the Carglass site but above is correct, regardless of the size of the damage. ANYWHERE else on the windscreen will not be repaired if the damaged area is larger than a €2 coin. Nothing to do with Carglass directly - other companies are the same - it's the law.

So I mentioned to the mrs yesterday that we should double-check what kind of windshield insurance/excess we have on our car. No reason, just thought of it then.

Thanks to Mr. Murphy, she called to inform me that she just got a small chip in the windscreen. :huh:

Back in Oz, my insurer actually handed out little coin-sized transparent band-aids to apply to such chips to stop them spreading/turning into cracks. Can anyone tell me where I can source these from in Germany/Munich? Are these even available here or would the winter weather extremes make the crack expand regardless?

Would a resin option be my best bet or should I just take it straight to carglass o.ä.? (& how much might they charge for such a chip, assuming it's smaller than a 1c coin?)

Go to Carglass, if it is a small chip it will be covered by the insurance and it won't affect your premiums in most cases.

Take it to Autoglasscarglass or ATU..

I had a "Resin repair" last year... cost 99€

I believe that my insurance would have paid for it, but paid privately as I was in a hurry and couldnt be arsed with all the paperwork that I would have needed to find there and then!

WDR's "servicezeit" program recently investigated different windscreen repair/replacement companies.

The segment starts at 11:20 in this video and goes on to explain how you can tell if the windscreen can be repaired or must be replaced. That depends on the size of the chip and/or the location on the windscreen.

The results of the test start at 19:00 in the video.

booked an appointment in for carglass, but by the time I got there (about 3-4 days after the chip occurred) it turned into a 3-4cm long crack, stemming from the chip. Due to the length/size, I had to get the entire screen replaced (€150 excess with HUK).

Mind you, they said even if it hadn't grown, they wouldn't have repaired it because it was deemed to be in the drivers field of vision (borderline)...

I was contemplating just leaving it and only have it replaced once/if the crack got huge (apparently not illegal to drive with a 1m+ long crack in the windscreen?). But the mrs. wanted it fixed asap. Lets just hope it doesn't happen again in the near future, as otherwise I could have had both chips/cracks replaced for the one excess cost!

This has perplexed me ever since I moved to Germany. How come it's "Carglass" in a country that drives Autos, but "Autoglass" in a country that drives cars?

So I just saw a huge crack this morning on my windshield, and right away did a search on TT.

It's on the driver side, upper part of the windshield, but definitely longer than 3cm, but not directly on my line of sight when driving. Although I have to admit, ever since I saw it, it's been on my peripheral view all the time. I have Teil- and Vollkasko. And it looks like it's covered by Teilkasko, as many have mentioned here before.

I've a 150€ SB for Teilkasko. And I just received a notice last week from my Versicherung for my 2016 payment to be paid on or before 01.01 (I pay yearly).

My question is - does anyone know how much a full windshield replacement will cost? Will it be worth it to just pay it myself, and not claim?

I've also read that claiming this against Teilkasko will not affect my no-claims bonus (posts from 2011), but is this still true? Or is it better change anything in my coverage, as Allershausen had earlier suggested?

Appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Thanks!

28 minutes ago, stomp said:

My question is - does anyone know how much a full windshield replacement will cost? Will it be worth it to just pay it myself, and not claim?

Mine ( VW Polo ) €450 - car glass guy came to my house and did it there - I paid the €150 SB and it didn't effect my premiums