Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Good horror films

36 posts in this topic

White Noise gives me the heebee jeebies because there are documented events that tie to the movie, it is also what makes the paranormal activity franchise successful. Also, even though there is a tangible bad guy that is sort of reveiled at the end, they dont exactly end in triumph but leave alot of chills. I think that it is suspense without having to suspend belief that makes for a good horror flick, although I cant really stand to watch any of them anymore. (Watched Paranormal Activity on Halloween and still regret it).

Let me know if they need someone to play the lead, I would be happy to clear my schedule!

My God, White Noise is an absolutely horrible (not horrorble) film. What a total waste of film.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/white_noise/

I recently saw The Innkeepers at the Munich Fantasy Film Festival. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_innkeepers/

Here's a short capsule review I wrote after seeing it--

Wow, now THAT's how you make a ghost story. Ti West's latest is simply brilliant. A genuinely terrifying (and I don't get scared) old-school ghost story that doesn't rely on schlocky "BOO" moments (it earns every scary moment), and builds, relentlessly slow (in the best way possible) to a scary as shit climax. The key is the proper development of the characters and the writers creating people that the audience can actually relate to. The two leads are extremely believable (and likable, which is key). The very witty script is leavened with more than enough laughs to cut the tension and they talk like people would actually talk and react like normal people would probably react. Kelly McGillis (damn, she got old!) is solid as well as an actress turned psychic. I highly recommend this one, folks. Seek it out.

It is the PERFECT date movie if you want your girlfriend to cling to you. And perfectly safe for those who don't like gore. Totally scary, not bloody (well, a little bit).

It#´s funnz how Kubrick´s Shining differs a lot from King´s book. When thez made a TV version that stuck closer to the original, it didn´t seem as scary, mainly due to all the additional supernatural elements.

@Rick...thank you I will have to check that film out. It sounds like it might have a similar feel t what I am working on. Great review, by the way...honest, and to the point. I like that in a writer!

@Ogre...thanks for your opinions, you are right, child ghosts are creepy that's why they get used so much. I actually have a few of them in the script right now, but they will only work if the camera angles are just right :) which of course isn't up to me.

@Chad...yup expected endings suck, my first draft has one bad guy dying, but another taking his/her place in the process (I was told by the producer and the studio that I had to leave it open for a sequel). I'm still trying to figure out what to do about the body count at the end though? I have a few ideas, just haven't fleshed it out to decide which is my favorite yet.

@LukeSkywalker...Love Star Wars...so kick ass name :P Great choice in favorite film, classic horror, and the fact that it involved a young girl was I think what made it so scary. The Devil is the perfect bad guy. Sequels suck...what are we on like Saw 10 or something? I'll be 80 and they'll still be making sequels!!!

For me the scariest big bad is a clown, but I have a phobia, so a children's birthday party could turn into a horror flick for me :D

Again, thanks for all of the responses...ya'll have been great. I have a lot of "homework" to do now.

You gotta forget 80's horror movies and stick with current trends:

- horror scenes can occur in daylight

- sometimes there is no build up to the horror scene

- situations are more realistic and closer to everyday routine

- bad guys win sometimes/all the time

You can also mix horror with comedy, while still making it shit scary. Example: Evil Dead (from the 80's, I know)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coGH4OaR9hc

And nothing can beat the original Texas chainsaw massacre. That creepy intro... still sends shivers down my spine!

*WARNING-Trailer is pretty intense*