World's fastest supercomputer vs. the human brain

53 posts in this topic

If they continue to double every year, that means exascale will be reached during 2018.

Just hope they don't call it HAL9000.

Dudes we did it, 200PFLOPS (130PF real). Now just gradual scale it to 1,2 EXFLOP. HELL YES. 

WE GOING SIMULATE A PART OF THE BRAIN IN REAL TIME, ON THE PRE EX SCALE. We have everything we need and now we will have simulation of visual cortex THIS YEAR. We going to test run a work load of the entire brain in 2019 Q2, and we will know if it will work or the models are worng.   

Been hard 5 years, now we have all the parts and the crunch time is over. I am so happy.

Thank you Nivida, tank you IBM, thank the entire Science Team, Here we go. We are the first and no one can take it from us now:)   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summit_(supercomputer)

22 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

...and you are...?

Someone on vacation in Norway, just wanted to spread the good news on the old forums. Altho connected to the annex at Oak Ridge, i am not hands to hands on the supercomputer. Used to post here long time ago and just wanted to say we DID it. We are not gonna actually simulate a human brain just the work load. 

You guys have seen nothing yet. Exa-scale is coming this year and it gonna change the world, just by the problems that will be solved :)     

Cant say what i do, and who i am sorry.  

22 hours ago, coolness.personified said:

Are we going to be able to simulate spiderpigs flounces in real time? If so then it would be worth it.

Nha not that fast yet lol. 

pfffft.... Mr Big Secret walks on to TT to tell us the latest and greatest from the World of Secret Super Science.

Yeah, right. :D

I was working in the Emirates in 1986 and had a call-out to look at at one of the Abu Dhabi oil ministry's DEC VAX comps. They also had a Cray in the same building which they let me see, but not touch. I don't know what they used it for, probably playing Pacman... :)

DEC - yes gone from the surface of the Earth like many others (I cut my teeth on a DEC PDP-8).

Did my third-year project on a PDP-11 when studying for my B.Sc. at Manchester.

Also gone: Sun Microsystems (where I joined in 1998) although Sun hardware lived on for a while under Oracle...

Lasted until I retired (just).