World's fastest supercomputer vs. the human brain

53 posts in this topic

I think you're being pretty optimistic about programming for emotions and irrational decision-making. An ocular interface would also need to be integrated, so that shiney things and pretty colours can trigger function calls.

The gap between the power of the fastest computer an MY brain is diminishing from both ends until it meets in the middle.

Seriously, the raw processing power of a babies brain is similar to that of an older person (until they start to deteriorate) but a baby can't do much except basic functions and LEARN.

If these new fastest computers with exaflops+ have a self learning program installed then, if you nurture them for 70 years, you might end up with an artificial Einstein.

I ask myself, what's the point of emulating the human brain or measuring success against that? What would be the ultimate goal of such a project? Would perfection be an artificial human brain? We are already making thousands of perfect human brains a day for nothing and it's a whole lot more fun doing that than sitting in a lab making an artificial one.

Are you allowed to spank a supercomputer or will that interfere with the nurturing process?

Only when it throws a tantrum and says 'you can't make me!'

I honestly don't get the point of comparing this against human brain. They never can

- be jealous, be angry, be sympathetic, be happy or any other emotion for that matter

More importantly, they cant enjoy beer like we do :-)

I honestly don't get the point of comparing this against human brain.

I heard time might not be infinite but it is still VERY long.

Why can't supercomputer emulations of the brain be capable of emotion, Kalapatt?

What is it about the large networks of biological neurons that can't be emulated?

All in all Sci-Fi Singularity can be now freed from the Moores law, since 1.6 million compute cores of Sequoia relies entirely on architecture and parallelism to achieve its 16 Petaflops of speed. Moores law is slowing down and soon be out of the equation..

Comparing the performance of supercomputer and human brain makes absolutely no sense. This is like comparing the speed of water heating in coffee machine and washing machine.

Here you go Kalapatt. Though simulated emotions might not appears quite convincing, may be next generation super computers could be tested with some dopamine, noradrenaline, and serotonin...

Why can't supercomputer emulations of the brain be capable of emotion, Kalapatt?

What is it about the large networks of biological neurons that can't be emulated?

Well, let me rephrase. In some distant future a super computer might be capable of emulating human emotions. But my point is what benefit we humans get from that other than having the fun of watching two jealous super computers fighting over a sexy Mac?

my point is what benefit we humans get from that other than having the fun of watching two jealous super computers fighting over a sexy Mac?

I would be totally amused watching a machine becoming alive by gaining self awareness. I guess some people are REALLY difficult to entertain.

In some distant future a super computer might be capable of emulating human emotions. But my point is what benefit we humans get from that..?

They would make terrific virtual sex robots, just for a start.

Kalapatt, the benefit is that life on Earth evolves to the next level.

As soon as machines are as intelligent and self-aware as humans, those machines will be able to build more machines.

And those machine-built machines will be even more capable than the first generation, and so it proceeds.

We end up with a so-called "intelligence explosion".

What's to say that human intelligence is the absolute pinnacle that the universe is capable of?

post-16-13400292758227.png

The purpose of building these supercomputers, and using them to emulate the brain, is that it's an intermediary step to super-human intelligence.

And by the way, it's not "some distant future". The progress is exponential. And we're just about hitting the "second half of the chessboard" right now.

For the average TTer who is aged late 30s, if you're lucky enough to live to your 80s then you'll see this become reality. Quite possibly much sooner.

You know that Terminator was fictional right?

Maybe it's a stupid question but given your other responses here, I'll pose it anyway.

More pressing question is how they are gonna be used. If it is to simulate American nuclear weapon on imaginary foes (as mentioned by Hutcho)rather than in search of nanoscale phenomena then not interested.