The worldwide occupy movement

249 posts in this topic

kropotkin has a good point that the OWS demands would probably be more effective if they had some thematic parameters.

Unless they seek to become a political party like the Tea Party, in which case, of course they would need to cover a variety of positions in their platform.

Moore is either dishonest or clueless if he thinks that trading is taxed at a 0% rate- maybe he has heard, for example, of capital gains taxes? Presumably his proposed trading tax would also apply to trades made at a loss.

moctoj2- someone who is independently wealthy doesn't have to work as a freelance, much less at all.

Moore and others talk a good game as if they care about ordinary people, but they're really in it for themselves, as kropotkin points out.

Moore doesn't care about ordinary people? Guess that's why he wears hoodies and a baseball cap instead of a suit.

Prince William is independently wealthy; why does he work or serve in the military risking his life? Your point makes no sense.

Taxing transactions on wall street is an excellent way to get transparency and extra funding for government programs. Why not? I think there are more computers trading than actual humans, why not tax them?

Is Moore talking about instituting a point-of-sale federal tax on shares when they're traded? What a cash cow that would be for the federal government.

Would suck for small share-holders, people with stock in retirement accounts, etc.

Taxing transactions on wall street is an excellent way to get transparency and extra funding for government programs. Why not?

How would taxing transactions enhance transparency? I would expect that big blocks would be traded off of the exchange or off-shore to avoid transaction tax.

That aside, why should the initiation of a new tax be part of the platform? It is a populist and probably a very divisive issue and would not help address the main problem.

Alternet

It's time for the bankers who crashed the economy to pay back those of us who bailed them out--with a financial transactions tax.

It wasn’t Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac that crashed the economy. It wasn’t the federal government. It wasn’t hapless homeowners who were sold mortgages they couldn’t afford. It was Wall Street financiers that aggressively sought and bought mortgages to package and sell as derivatives, which the banks could wager on.

Moore doesn't care about ordinary people? Guess that's why he wears hoodies and a baseball cap instead of a suit.

Prince William is independently wealthy; why does he work or serve in the military risking his life? Your point makes no sense.

Taxing transactions on wall street is an excellent way to get transparency and extra funding for government programs. Why not? I think there are more computers trading than actual humans, why not tax them?

Ah, I see. I guess Warren Buffett, for example, doesn't care about ordinary people because he wears a business suit. Moore's outfits are a part of his public image, i.e., marketing. What one does is more important than what one wears. Then again, does Moore wear a hoodie and baseball hat to entertainment industry functions or when he meets when those who fund his polemics? Nah....

Your point about Prince William makes no sense- military service is a family tradition- he doesn't need the money, i.e., he doesn't need to work.

I think you'll be disappointed at the tax revenues brought in by such a tax- it will be interesting to see how fast trading profits are made overseas, which would likely result in a fall in tax revenues earned from traders.

Is Moore talking about instituting a point-of-sale federal tax on shares when they're traded? What a cash cow that would be for the federal government.

Would suck for small share-holders, people with stock in retirement accounts, etc.

Exactly. Is anyone naive enough to think that trading wouldn't move offshore? When JFK was president, a tax on forex trading was instituted. Guess what happened after that.

I guess moctoj hasn't heard about Fannie's massive derivatives book. Not that she would care anyway.

I love how you try to put words here that aren't mine. But apparently, you've been doing that quite frequently anyway.

It is worse than being a loser – at least losers generally try.

Indeed. You are very trying.

Former NYT Reporter Chris Hedges on Bill Moyers.

http://billmoyers.com/2012/07/24/moyers-moment-2012-chris-hedges-on-the-necessity-of-revolt/

I don't agree with everything Hedges says, e.g. that the Tea Party is a proto-Fascist movement (could be partially true) and his somewhat sentimental views of organized labor, but unfortunately his idea that a revolt might be necessary is interesting.

Here is another clip from a discussion at IMPACT 2012

http://jessescrossroadscafe.blogspot.de/2012/09/additional-material-from-impact-2012.html