Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Selling a broken car

16 posts in this topic

So I have to get rid of a broken car..:( The repair costs are far more than the actual worth of the car. I am planning to sell the car to a junk yard, just curious if anybody has had experience doing this. Should I de-register the car before selling? Any bill of sale thing to do like in the US.

Thanks in advance!

You can sell it to one of those "export" companies, they will come to your place, make you an offer, pay in cash and take the car. You can either de-register it before or they will de-register it for you. The only problem is those people are a pain in the ass to deal with.

I sold a broken car some months ago (engine problems) and I actually got more money than I expected.

Just list it on autoscout24.de and mobile.de for 300 Euros or so. Basic listings are free, and there are plenty of dealers browsing those sites who export junkers to Africa or Eastern Europe, and repairs are not much of an issue when you can hire a mechanic for 2€/hr.

The timing belt went on my old volvo and the repair wasn't going to be worth it as it needed a new motor. I thought I'd have to pay to have it scrapped, but someone suggested ebay.

I put it on ebay as a "bastlerfarzeug" (it automatically goes on autoscout too) and instead of having to pay to scrap it, I made 500€ from it.

Thanks all for your suggestions! I did speak to a used auto parts store car guy yesterday and seems they are interested in buying the car..Was much easier than I thought.

Thanks again!

On 10/25/2011, 10:46:45, Krieg said:

You can sell it to one of those "export" companies, they will come to your place, make you an offer, pay in cash and take the car. You can either de-register it before or they will de-register it for you. The only problem is those people are a pain in the ass to deal with.

I sold a broken car some months ago (engine problems) and I actually got more money than I expected.

I will be very great full to you if you tell me the name of the export companies 

Walk around in your area and you will see cards stuck in the windows of parked cars or laying on the ground where people have thrown them away.

You can sell your car at wirkaufendeinauto.de  I sold a car there. I made an appointment online, brought the car there, they inspected it and made me an offer. I took it and we signed the papers right away. They took the car and had it deregistered and the money deposited in my account the next working day.

Thank you for your answer leong but wirkaufendeinauto didnt gave me a good offer so if you know any other name please do let me know thank you

It seems some Iraquians buy them as they are, ship them to eastern Europe, assemble a good one from different cars and then ship them to the middle east.

They pay well if the body structure and panels are in good shape.

Problem is, these are sometimes dodgy guys.

8 hours ago, B F said:

I will be very great full to you if you tell me the name of the export companies 

honestly you put it in the paper and they come find you.  Every car we've gotten rid of (that no longer passed Tüv) was gotten rid of this way.  I think it was just the local paper, but Ebay Kleinanzeigen works too.  When we asked where the cars were going, we always got the same answer: Iraq.  Who knew. 

On 12/28/2017, 5:25:39, B F said:

Thank you for your answer leong but wirkaufendeinauto didnt gave me a good offer so if you know any other name please do let me know thank you

Well, we are talking about people buying broken cars so do not expect very good prices.

On 12/28/2017, 10:31:30, B F said:

Krieg,

could you please tell me the name of some export dealers 

You need a local one in the place you live.    Walk around in the city and you will see their business cards in the car windows around.   

And check here:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-autos/bremen/auto-ankauf/k0c216l1