Sufficient salary ranges in and around Munich

1,022 posts in this topic

We have to send minimum of EUR 1000 per month :)...

Yes i saw that tax is too high in Germany... But have to manage both the families and should be prepared if he gets selected...

If the future company of your husband takes care of the required work permit, it doesn't necessarily mean that you are allowed to work in Germany as well. In most cases it isn't. You need to sort that out first. Then, you must determine your tax category, also depending on children or not. There is lots of info on this on TT.

In the UAE there are virtually no taxes, so prepare for the worst in Germany . How much money do you want to send back to India?

I hope we fall under Tax category III...but not sure of how much required to manage our cost :unsure:

My bf was working as field application engineer his salary was7,000 per month.with this money we could enjoy life in stuttgart area but not in Munich.in munich you guys must earn at least 3000 eur net.

A single person absolutely does not need to net 3k in Munich. No way. Unless you live large.

you can expect to spend 500 - 900 euros on (warm) rent, and if you NEED an extra 2 - 2.5k on top of that you really need to examine your spending habits. I am not an ascetic and I still have plenty left over on 2500 net. 1500 could be tight. 2k would be minimum in my opinion unless you are super frugal.

If you're supporting a family, yeah, 3+k. But not for a single or half of a dual income couple.

I hope we fall under Tax category III...but not sure of how much required to manage our cost

Suppose your husband will receive € 75k per year, then you're looking at € 4K net per month with tax category III. You deduct € 1K to send back home which leaves you € 3K per month for a couple in Munich. This will be enough. For housing you should reserve something like €1000 depending where you live. If you don't have a car and live a normal lifestyle, you can manage with € 2K per month.

A single person absolutely does not need to net 3k in Munich. No way. Unless you live large.

you can expect to spend 500 - 900 euros on (warm) rent, and if you NEED an extra 2 - 2.5k on top of that you really need to examine your spending habits. I am not an ascetic and I still have plenty left over on 2500 net. 1500 could be tight. 2k would be minimum in my opinion unless you are super frugal.

If you're supporting a family, yeah, 3+k. But not for a single or half of a dual income couple.

:rolleyes: Thank you. Yes we have to support our family and as well as manage our expenses too... I am more concerned abt the renting a furnished apartment and managing the food expenses well with in 2k... is it enough for a couple?

I am checking the web site http://vermietungen.quoka.de/ for the rented houses / apts...

Suppose your husband will receive € 75k per year, then you're looking at € 4K net per month with tax category III. You deduct € 1K to send back home which leaves you € 3K per month for a couple in Munich. This will be enough. For housing you should reserve something like €1000 depending where you live. If you don't have a car and live a normal lifestyle, you can manage with € 2K per month.

Thank you very much :) :)

Am moving to Munich next week - have just read this thread in total - very helpful - thanks esp to Yorkshirelad, Panda and lisa and very amusing MrNosey - also jimmyb for good advice and airwave you are absolutely spot-on re Paris - having lived there all your comments 100% correct NB! this doesnt reflect France - Paris is another country...

IfIcould - big sympathies there mate - had that happen a couple of times and as mentioned have seen it from the inside too - LH doesnt know what the RH is always doing. So - where did you end up?

I will be starting the job search trawl (wife transferred with company - my turn now) so if anyone can suggest best sites to moniter eg Monster that would be helpful - I am qualified infrastructure engineer / BDM for DataCentres (air, power, BMS systems) so techy type sites may be best.

One big question - I have basic German but have been told business/office language is English - is this really true?

Thanks in anticipation

I have been reading with intrest all the posts in here and have some good info so far.

The company that i work for is a large worldwide company and they have a small office in Unterföhring just outside Munich.

I am a Software test engineer with 7-8 years experience and i would just like to know that what i would like to earn in Munich is fair or should i be asking for more.

I am divorced with 2 kids that are fairly young so it will be a hard decision to make anyway.

I have told them that i would like a minimum of 60,000 euros and i work this out to take home per month about 2700. Should i ask for more or is this fair, i am beginning to think i should ask for high 70's after doing more research, but i would like others to let me know what they think.

I will be moving over by myself, but would hope to come back to the UK often to see my Kids.

I am guessing 1000 euros a month for rent would be enough, but it seems like that would be just for a shell and i would have to put a kitchen in and all the other furniture..

I do have a house in the UK i might rent or sell, but again i am not sure what to do with it yet.

My company do have relocation polices up to a max 8K so that should help a bit.

Looking forward to recieving some advice.

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hi all,

I have been lurking the TT forums for about 2 weeks now and found some great information. But some of the info I gathered seems conflicting so I thought I'd ask them here.

A bit about me. I currently work as a QA technician in the UK and my salary is £18K (Not London). In my current company I am getting a small annual raise soon. But it won't be much.

I am on the 3rd stage with this company in Munich. They're flying me over for a face to face interview for a QA Manager role. Mind you this is not exactly an IT role. It is a video games company, and it is hard to find average salary ranges for this role. In the UK it goes from £22K to £40K depending on experience but in Munich I can't find any numbers as there aren't that many in this field, in the region.

I have about 3 years of QA experience in the games industry and have 3 degrees including a Masters degree, all related to multimedia development and games theory and design.

The title "QA Manager" alone is a nice step up as I have been basically paying my dues so far. Although the offer is exciting, I still need to make sure I will have a salary, sufficient enough to live with no worries in Munich.

I would like to get an idea of what the average cost of living, for someone like me, would be in Munich. I am 29, single, would like to avoid living in a houseshare and rent a small 1 or 2 bedroom flat if possible. The flat would ideally be near Planegg, Martinsried as that's where my potential job is. I mostly cook my own food and don't have any luxurious habits. I probably won't need a car either.

During the interview, they will probably ask about my salary expectations and while I don't want to sell myself short, I don't want to be too demanding either. If someone can help me out with giving me some ideas about the cost of living in Munich I could maybe come up with a desirable number to give to the company.

Thanks in advance.

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

It depends on what the role is.

I wouldn't get too excited by being called "manager" though. Everyone gets that title nowadays, even if they don't manage anything.

Are you actually going into a management position? ie. Will you have staff answering to you? Are you going to be involved in any planning? or maintaining internal processes? Something that's just more than general QA work?

What you can earn really depends on those answers.

From what I gathered during our phone interview, they don't have an internal QA team but they are planning on doing more internally (maybe why they have an opening).

But since this is at their HQ I'll probably supervise outsourced QA teams and the in-house QA teams in partner developer studios. I won't manage them directly but I would make sure the quality expectations of our company, as the publisher, are met.

QA related research and improving overall QA efficiency are also mentioned. But no it's not a role where I would manage a team of QA. Even though they were talking about expanding and creating an internal team.

But I mainly want to know more about the cost of living in Munich for someone like me. I can then adjust my expectancy accordingly.

If you're going to be managing external QA teams and improving efficiency in your area, then I reckon I'd ask for €50k a year. If not, then maybe €7k less.

I work in QA in Munich and that's my gut feeling for the job you've described.

It also depends on other factors, of course - such as the company you'll work for, other benefits and whether you need to travel, etc. Be prepared to negotiate though.

Oh and don't tell them you're only getting 18k a year now, or they'll never give you that much...

But I mainly want to know more about the cost of living in Munich for someone like me. I can then adjust my expectancy accordingly.

If I had to make an educated guess, you applied at Koch Media Group.

Perhaps you should reconsider your wish to live in Planegg. There is not much going on there for a single guy like you.

I also believe like Hazza that you can easily double your salary, also because you are heavily underpaid: a factory worker at BMW earns far more than your current salary. So, yes don't mention your salary. You also have relevant degrees.

The minimum you need for living expenses (after deducting taxes and insurances) without a car and moderate lifestyle can be like €1100- €1400. This also depends where you live. Schwabing/Bogenhausen are expensive, Planegg much cheaper, but nothing going on. If you double your salary, you don't have to worry about this. Munich has an excellent public transportation system and commuting times are not too bad.

Good luck with the interview.

Thanks Hazza and LukeSkywalker.

Luke you are right about the company. If Planegg is a bad idea, which nearby area would you recommend for me?

I will not mention my current salary but not sure what to say, if they keep asking about it.

Thanks for the numbers on living expenses. With those numbers I can at least know how much I would need in normal circumstances.

Thanks a lot.

Thanks Hazza and LukeSkywalker. Luke you are right about the company. If Planegg is a bad idea, which nearby area would you recommend for me?I will not mention my current salary but not sure what to say, if they keep asking about it.Thanks for the numbers on living expenses. With those numbers I can at least know how much I would need in normal circumstances. Thanks a lot.

Just in case if they persist on asking your current salary make sure to tell the truth coz they might ask for payslips as proof. I reckon Luke and Hazza have given excellent advice. All the best

Martinsried is a little out of the way. If that's where your work is, then by public transport, then if you live somewhere along the U6 you could take that to Großhadern, then bus or bike for ten minutes in summer, or just U6 + bus in winter. Something similar if you lived along the U3 + bus/bike from Fürstenried West. If you lived somewhere such as Pasing, with reasonable living costs, and good connections to Munich centre, you could bike to Martinsried in about 25 minutes. But in bad weather the connection would be two busses, or S-bahn every 20 minutes + bus.

You can see different transport options here: http://www.mvv-muenchen.de