Sufficient salary ranges in and around Munich

1,029 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, WanWhiteWolf said:

I just had a phone interview for a “Software lead” position. All went well until the salary expectation part. 

I asked 90k. I am already earning 80k as an “Senior Software Engineer” with no team management responsibility. They said that even 65k would be above average and that my expectation is unrealistic. 

Glassdoor seems to confirm what they say but I find the information hard to believe. On payscale I see conflicting information. 

Do software leading roles really go for 60k? 

If you're already earning 80K then your expectation is not unrealistic for you, even if it might be for them. My guess - they are a relatively small company so they are less able to offer a higher salary. Bigger companies pay higher salaries.

47 minutes ago, WanWhiteWolf said:

I just had a phone interview for a “Software lead” position. All went well until the salary expectation part. 

I asked 90k. I am already earning 80k as an “Senior Software Engineer” with no team management responsibility. They said that even 65k would be above average and that my expectation is unrealistic. 

Glassdoor seems to confirm what they say but I find the information hard to believe. On payscale I see conflicting information. 

Do software leading roles really go for 60k? 

Yes, it is possible, but rare. Usually management positions start at 70k€ but easily get >85k€. And they can go up to 105k€, for larger or more complicated teams.

On 19/11/2019, 22:25:43, lisa13 said:

Oh of course that's very helpful. 

I was not talking about some theoretical time in the future, but the present.  Maybe you can tell us when that crash is going to come so we can all be prepared, eh?

Do you need to buy? Did you do projection of current price + mortgage taxes interest and the fact that u r buying on a top of a period in terms of price, to eventually resell in 5/10 years? 

Feel free to do...I have already seen in 20 year many times this thing occurring.

1 hour ago, karmakoma said:

Do you need to buy? Did you do projection of current price + mortgage taxes interest and the fact that u r buying on a top of a period in terms of price, to eventually resell in 5/10 years? 

Feel free to do...I have already seen in 20 year many times this thing occurring.

why are you responding to this a month later?

my personal situation has no bearing whatsoever on your original comment nor on my response to it.  It's got nothing to do with anything but if you feel better trying to skate in another direction because you can't predict when a dip may happen, feel free.

It depends on what quality of life you desire. 

Factor in 1000-1500 EUR for rent in a decent neighbourhood, food and essentials another 500-1000 EUR per month, entertainment budget 500-1000 EUR, and I'd say you need at least 3000 EUR to live comfortably.  This increases exponentially as your appetite for the good things do!  Also if you have children, expect to need to spend more!

500 - 1000 euro entertainment budget? I guess some people are more easily entertained than others...

18 hours ago, Sroka said:

It depends on what quality of life you desire. 

Factor in 1000-1500 EUR for rent in a decent neighbourhood, food and essentials another 500-1000 EUR per month, entertainment budget 500-1000 EUR, and I'd say you need at least 3000 EUR to live comfortably.  This increases exponentially as your appetite for the good things do!  Also if you have children, expect to need to spend more!

Parents of young children don't have the time or energy to get entertained at a rate of €1000/month on a €3000 income so that's a non-issue. How do you do it? and more importantly why?  I mean, if you live by yourself and get €10,000 net a month I can see spending 10% of it on women and blow. Is that the case?

For entertainment budget I think 500-1000 EUR is fairly standard for most in Munich.  Consider entertainment all things like going out to have a drink - beer gardens, cafes, bars, clubs, etc. / Culture - cinema, museums, gigs, meetups, etc. / Hobbies - gym, sports clubs, skiing, hiking, etc. /  Various incidentals like subscriptions to things like Spotify, Netflix.  

As a single person, I'd say it's very easy to spend 100-150 EUR per week on these things!

Then, if you've got kids (I have 2), then you can spend another 100+ EUR on them per week for kids activities.  So yeah, factor in somewhere 500-1000 EUR for entertainment per month in Munich, unless you want to live like a hermit and drink beer alone while watching Youtube every night.