Sufficient salary ranges in and around Munich

1,022 posts in this topic

i am single .

let me tell you all details.

following expenses will also be borne by the company:

Complete Private Accommodation (without food)

Transport

Bonus

Medical Allowance

now you tell me is it a good starting salary?

can you please also tell me what really is the average salary of a finance manager in the area.

thanks

In all seriousness: It's quite enough, unless you indulge in controlled substances and Gucci/Versace/YSL clothing.

Kimlee - as sarabyrd says unless you have some seriously expensive habits this is more than enough. But speaking as an HR guy I would be seriously concerned about hiring a Finance Manager that couldnt figure out their own monthly outgoings and what would be left at the end. I just hope you'll have a better handle on the company P&L!

In terms of what the going rate is for a Finance Manager you cannot accurately assess market rate just by job title. I would also need to know size of company, reporting line, how many people work for you, budget accountability, expected experience/qualifications etc etc. Then it comes down to how your experience and competence match up to the job requirements. Alternatively just look at what similar roles are being advertised to see if its in the right ballpark.

i am single .

let me tell you all details.

following expenses will also be borne by the company:

Complete Private Accommodation (without food)

Transport

Bonus

Medical Allowance

now you tell me is it a good starting salary?

can you please also tell me what really is the average salary of a finance manager in the area.

thanks

The company is taking care of the major expenses so you'd be able to keep yourself in coke and hookers, no problem.

jimmyb and MrNosey Icon

thanks fort the reply .

i just also downloaded the salary surveys it also shows that the average is kind of same .( survey did not show the 0-2 years experience job salary)

as far as assessing my own expenses as i am expat so that's why i had little idea and asked here .

other company details , staff reporting etc will be told by company in the final interview.

i am a qualified accountant.

thanks again every body for the answers.

have nice time

I wish i could have your salary package!! If i had it, this post wouldn't exist!! Good luck mate for your interview! I am going to Munich tomorrow morning at 4am...

Hello there, I am back from Munich. Did you a smart guy walking around with a black handbag in the city centre? If so, it's me!! :rolleyes:

This morning, it was rush to catch the flight at 7am to Munich and arrived at their office just 15 mins early. Perfect timing!!! But I was very starving and thirsty, i didn't manage to buy any food and drinks for my lunch because there was no enough time to do anything...

After one hour presentation and 1 hour face to face interview. I was asked what the salary expectation was? I said, well, XXX is such a big company, i am sure you will give me a good salary to match my 9 years experience. But they continued to ask me to give them a rang. Finally I said between 50k-60K would be reasonable as my starting salary. About the relocation package, they said the standard package in the company is 2000 euro, and I also could claim all the relocation receipts to them. Not sure what that means?? I was rush to catch my return flight to the UK, so i didn't ask them too detailed. Does it mean that all the costs occured for my accommodation in Munich, I could claim them back?

Of course, on top of that, they have 25 days holiday+50% paid health insurance etc...

About the relocation package, they said the standard package in the company is 2000 euro, and I also could claim all the relocation receipts to them. Not sure what that means??

I think this means that you can be reimbursed for relocation cost invoices up to the amount of 2,000€, which appears a bit stingy to me for an international move. So you would have to hand over your invoices for moving costs, rental car, real state agent cost for renting an aprtment in Munich = Makler, and so on and would be reimbursed by the company but only up to 2,000€. The advantage of doing it this way is that you wouldn't be taxed on this reimbursement.

However, it could also mean 2,000€ additionally on your pay check (which will be taxed at your personal tax rate) + reimbursement of all incurred relocation costs, which would be better bargain.

Please see here for a list of all allowed moving costs categories, i.e. things for which your employer is allowed by German tax law to reimburse you for (and should they only reimburse for up to 2,000€, you can claim for the remaining unreimbursed costs in your yearly tax return).

Of course, on top of that, they have 25 days holiday+50% paid health insurance etc...

Before you start thinking you're getting a special deal here, the minimum yearly vacation (set down by law) is 24 days a year + all official holidays (= Feiertage), e.g. Easter, Christmas, New Year's Day, May 1st, ...

And it's also the law that the employer pays half of your social security costs:

• health insurance
  • public pension insurance
  • unemployement insurance

So, before you start enthusing, I suggest you have a look at the standard deductions from a German salary, you can calculate it with this online calculator (thanks YorkshireLad6 for finding it!).

You say you wife isn't with you at the moment, this would mean the German tax department treats you as a single (= tax category I). However, if your wife is resident in another EU/EEA country (and doesn't earn more than you, then it wouldn't make sense), you can apply for her to be treated as voluntarily tax-resident in Germany and get the first 16,008€ of your joint family income to be tax free (instead of only 8,004€ if you didn't apply for this). Please read this thread in this discussion for details.

It's only 24 days holiday if you work a 6-day week. You might want to ask them how long their standard working week is.

If you wife was staying in UK in what you consider the family home then your home in Munich could be considered a second home for reasons of work, for which all costs associated with that home, including rent, utilities and the travel between the two homes could be claimed against tax. That could pretty much give you a tax-free income.

It's only 24 days holiday if you work a 6-day week.

Good one, YorkshireLad, you're right - I missed that :)

For a 5-day working week the legal minimum is just 0 days a year.

PandaMunich (why you call yourself panda <_< ), YorkshireLad6:

Thanks so much for your so detailed info. I think i should work 5-day a week. But i am not sure the rest of conditions of this job including relocation package. Still waiting for their reply to see if they are willing to give me the offer. Once I have it, I can find more info for all of benfits etc..

My wife (has British passport)is in China at the moment to look after her father, not sure when she could come over. In this case, I don't think I could apply for voluntarily tax-resident or treat my flat in Germany as my second home... Should I ask that company for a tax advisor as one of conditions of relocation package? How much norally does it cost? I don't want cost too much for the company because i think it is something extra.. I think. Also how about the church tax? Before I quit my job (back in May), I was paying my offering to a local church in the UK, do i have to pay church tax in Germany? How to avoid it? Sorry mates, i keep you all busy all the time...

why you call yourself panda

I like pandas, but I'm not Chinese if that's what you meant :)

My wife (has British passport) is in China at the moment to look after her father, not sure when she could come over. In this case, I don't think I could apply for voluntarily tax-resident or treat my flat in Germany as my second home...

You can't apply for her to be voluntarily tax-resident, but there's no reason why you can't apply for the "doppelte Haushaltsführung" (= second home) costs. Your first home would then either be in the UK or in China (wherever you keep up a home and visit your wife) and the second home here in Munich. Please read the following posts in Filing a Tax Return 2010 to find out more (it's even about a wife living in China, we aim to please).

Should I ask that company for a tax advisor as one of conditions of relocation package? How much norally does it cost? I don't want cost too much for the company because i think it is something extra.. I think.

I wouldn't ask the company for a tax advisor, your position is not such a high-level that they would indulgence such a whim and you would only come across as difficult (= schwierig), which is a thing to be avoided at all costs with prospective German employers.

You can either:

• do the tax return yourself by following the instructions in the TT Elster wiki (yellow section for employees), or
  • you can have a Lohnsteuerhilfeverein do it for you, please see this post in Claiming tax deductions (with a yearly salary of 50,000€ it would cost you 135€), or
  • employ a more expensive tax advisor, please see this post in Filing a Tax Return 2010 (anything from 104.60€ to 627.60€ for a yearly income of 50,000€)

Also how about the church tax? Before I quit my job (back in May), I was paying my offering to a local church in the UK, do i have to pay church tax in Germany? How to avoid it? Sorry mates, i keep you all busy all the time...

The normal way to avoid paying church tax is to put down "no religion" (= Keine Religion) when registering yourself at the Bürgerbüro in Germany once you've moved here.

Have you been baptised?

If yes, the above won't always work because the Catholic church has been known to hunt down baptism records in home countries and then back-charge church tax to the day you registered in Germany. So if you were baptised the safe way is to also declare that you want to leave the church once you're here in Germany. Please read this post in this thread on how to do this.

my dear friends, i sadly say that i didn't get the offer. The reason why I was not successful is very odd. They said they did like all the presentation about introducing myself and they were happy with all the questions i answered. But after they interviewed 2 people, they found out that they made mistakes on what type of person they are hunting... They need someone with much higher profile than a senior role. So they said now they are looking for an expert on databases and are willing to pay £70k-100k. I checked the jobserver website, they did change the salary...The result is really unbeliveable!! :( sounds like a joke!! shouln't happen in such a big company!!

Once again, thanks all for your help and hopefully my post is useful for the people who are in the similar situation. Wish you all the best!!

Sorry to hear that it didnt work out - I have known this to happen a number of times over the years when I have supported line managers recruiting. Sometimes they see a candidate with more experience than they specified and the proverbial light bulb switches on about the opportunity this could provide, sometimes they are out of touch with what $xxK buys in the market and have to rethink. Its a real pain for candidates but I'm afraid the job market is a bit of a jungle and the law of the jungle applies!

Are you still going for the Paris position by the way?

hi guys, thanks so much for your prompt replies. I am about to leave the UK to Paris...

The German company is an international company (top 10). Currently from my understanding that they are hiring a junior role for their databases admin. Before I left my previous company, i was in a senior postion. If this is the case, can I still ask more than 50k (the pay on top mentioned on the ad.) to fit my 8-9 years experience?

Guess this has been a very long thread to go through, but bits and pieces here, like the quote above. I never knew that a senior position in the UK was worth only 30K GBP to begin with, when the new immigration law for non-EU into Uk is at 34K roundabouts. Am sure the immigration guys are not looking for people with 12 years plus to get a job to move into the UK. What am drving at is that you have a very typical Indian mentality (am an indian too) of titles, expereience etc. This doe not work in most cases in Europe. Its a fit to the job. You could have 8 years exp be a genius eaning 100+K, or a geek and earning the same or somebody like you who thinks of himself to be a senior sitting at 30K.

Wake up and check what suits you.

Hi Guys,

I have the following two job offers, could you give me some advise that

how the Munich package relate to the cost of living:

Düsseldorf: € 65k + 10k bonus, expect to get about 72k effective

Munich: € 70k + 10k bonus, expect to get 75k effective

+ Since, I am currently in Düsseldorf therefore, I know that I can manage a good living

in this package. But is the Munich package any better?

+ I intend to maintain a two person house, about 60-70 sq. meters, a small family car

and other things like utilities, shopping, dining out etc.

+ We dont drink so pubs and beer dont matter.

+ and is the visa office/people in Munich friendly towards foreigners?

is the following comparison realistic?

http://www.unicum.de/studienzeit/service/lebenskostenrechner/confront.php?bundesland_1=3&bundesland_2=11&stadt_1=48&stadt_2=111&extras=1#extra_1

Thanks.

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

For example, if one get 50k in Frankfurt, Colonge; can he maintain the

same life style in Munich for 55k?

Thanks.

I am HOWLING that miete mit nebenkosten is listed at 322

If you live in a WG... maybe. I'm not a student so I'm not familiar with every trick to save a few pennies here or there, but these figures look quite low for Munich, in my opinion.

But regardless of how expensive a Döner is here compared to there, 75k should be *way* more than enough to live well in any German city. Maybe it's more productive to think about which city is more your "style" instead of splitting hairs over a few thousand euros?

I don't think the people at the KVR are particularly friendly nor unfriendly towards foreigners. I've always found them reasonably pleasant, but on the other hand, they're clearly not there to socialize.

I have found the cost of living comparisons on Numbeo.com to be more accurate than most. However, do keep in mind they are based on averages of reported values, sofiguress may be skewed one way or the other (i.e. I don't exactly picture either the garbage man or the CEO of the garbage company filling in surveys about the cost of living).