Sufficient salary ranges in and around Munich

1,022 posts in this topic

Also she told me that i could live a bit far of the city centre in Paris and catch the train to work every day. It would work out much cheaper. It really depends on how you manage your money!!

€ 55K in Paris is on the low side. If you want to have a small 2-room apartment in one of the better "arrondissements" you easily pay €1500 or more per month and the landlords want to have loads of guarantees. From your parents, for example, that they pay your rent if you somehow can't pay it anymore. In Munich this is not the case and you don't have long commuting times like in Paris where it is normal to travel 3 hours per day for work. I don't call this quality of life. The crime rates in the suburbs ("banlieus")are very high. In Munich this is very low, the city is much cleaner and the beer is better.

Paris is nice for a long weekend with your girl-friend. If I were you, come to Munich.

thanks all for your info. Yes you are right. I will try to get the offer from Munich first. otherwise, i have no choice only Paris!!

Hello Guys, i am preparing my interview for Paris one (coming monday).

I think you all have loads experiences. When you are asked what the salary expectation is? How to answer it? Give them a figure? Or leave a space for them to offer one first? cheers!

"just came back home and checked my email. Got a new mail from munich, saying i need to prepare below tasks for the interview:

12:00-13:00 Presentation of yourself in front of the management team

13:00-14:00 Interview with VP Operations and Technical Operations

A bit too much for this engineer role as i already had 2 rounds of skype video chats..."

huh? How is that too much?

My experience with interviewing with German companies is that they want to give you the opportunity to be prepared. Unlike American companies, who often quite intentionally give a candidate NO way to prepare - they want you to be nimble, and able to do ANYTHING, at any time, especially under pressure, of course. German employers are just very different in this respect. And they put a high value on the "face to face" so of course they would want to meet you in person. Being invited to meet with upper management is a good thing, and it is definitely in one's best interest to prepare for that. I just don't see the problem?

IfIcould,

should you be successful with an offer from the Munich company and decide to accept it, please be aware of the fact that any relocation package you agree will also be considered fair game by the Taxman.

Unlike the UK where "relocation packages" are paid outside of normal salary and are not subject to taxation, or at least they weren't when I was still in the UK, here in Germany any such payment will be made through personnel, via your normal payslip and will be taxed. This means you will lose just under half of any such amount.

When I moved from the UK to Germany some years ago I had been prepared for the usual shocks like "avoid paying chruch tax", renting an apartment very often doesn't include any kitchen appliances, almost always doesn't include any light fittings .. etc ... so I negotiated a suitable relocation package to cover such eventualities, but what took me by surprise was that my relocation was then taxed and I received only a good half of what I had negotiated.

Of course I played the game and employed a good tax advisor to get me a large chunk of that tax back the following year, but it did leave a sizeable hole in my requirements during the first year.

As a guide; the following year I received back about half of the relocation tax I had paid.

Other than this, Munich is a great area to live and I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

Question: is the relocation paid upfront (so taxable as income) or do you just come up with receipts and your expenses are reimbursed (so I guess tax-free)?

To the OP: given the choice to work with/for French people or for any other nationality, I wouldn't be picking the French. I know I am generalizing, but after six years of dealing with them...

Having visited Paris recently and currently living in Ismaning (I would imagine about 5 mins walk away from the company you are talking about) I can hand on heart say you would have to cut both my arms off before you could force me to swop locations.

Depending on where you are living here it's like living in the countryside. Take the dog for a walk through the fields. Buy locally produced goods direct from the farmers. Nice cheep beer garden with friendly locals and the city is only 16 mins away by train and the airport 14 mins which is great when you run out of beer on a Sunday ;)

As for 50K, depends on the bonus I guess but I was getting 45K straight out of uni (C++,SQL etc)

EDIT: Forgot to add there are quite a few IT companies here in Ismaning so if you decide to stay here long term you will have quite a few companies to look at if you decide you want a different job

hi guys, thanks so much for your prompt replies. I am about to leave the UK to Paris...

The french company is a 15-people e-business company, they want a SQL Server DBA. The pay is about £55K of course, i could ask more if it is possible.

The German company is an international company (top 10). Currently from my understanding that they are hiring a junior role for their databases admin. Before I left my previous company, i was in a senior postion. If this is the case, can I still ask more than 50k (the pay on top mentioned on the ad.) to fit my 8-9 years experience?

---- if i could (like my nick name) get the offer from that German company, i would accept it and meet you guys in the pub!!

The pay is for a junior position and it is not going to change, no matter what your past experience is.

I would suggest not even bringing this point up during the negotiation, as this will prompt a question/remark along the lines of "oh, you might be a bit overqualified / too senior for this role and you would end up being frustrated with this junior role". No need to mention the outcome...

Did not read all the posts just the main one so here is my veiw.

50k plus bonuses and relocation package is average, obiously depending on the bonus, but usually a bonus does not exeed 10-20% of your anual income. With your experience and field you should get a better payment. For IT and in Munchen you should aim 100k and above.

Cheers!

bogec: thanks for your comment!! 100k?? You made me sleepless tonight.

Hi guys, i am back from Paris. I spent 2 hours and half to find my hotel (French peopel are not very helpful..) last night and guess what?? They forgot to book the room for me. I had to pay it first and then claim it back!! Next morning, my interview was 10am, I arrived at 9:45 and guess what? they came at 10:30. Putting me down again!! Also as soon as they arrived, they invited me to have a cup of coffee in local Cafe shop. Had a relaxed chat and then took me to have a tech test in the company. Answered all the questions and invited me to have 2-hour lunch. I have to say French food is really nice, that's true!! They also bought a bottle of red wine as our drinks for lunch. I really enjoyed it!! After lunch, the boss made an oral offer: 40K euro + iphone4s + decent laptop for home use + home broadband + 50% paid transport + 100% fully comp insurance for me and direct family members+25 holidays. They didn't pay me the travel expenses there and they asked me to scan all the receipts & send them by email ... So complicated!!

On the way back, my agent from the UK called me and asked me how it went. I told her that I do like the company and people there. It seems that they know how to enjoy the life every day and nite (The boss told me he couldn't have his lunch just in front of his computer. If he does it, he would get depressed). Also Told my agent, i am not happy with the pay, looking for 50K above etc... She said she would try to discuss this with the company and get it back to me on Tuesday.

NOW, i need to concentrate on the interview in Germany. For some reasons, that German company booked the flight ticket at 7am on this Wed. So i have to get up at 4am to catch the flight and get back to the UK at 15:30 straight after the interview. Don't know why they booked this rubbish time for me!! Won't have any time to visit either Ismaning or you guys!!! :angry:

Have a nice day tomorrow!!

bogec: I dare say 100k+ is difficult to achieve in a non-management position (encompassing both people and business management, with budget and results' responsibility).

ificould: bienvenue en France. :) These things are funny when you just go there for a day and it all turns out well in the end, but wait and see for the time when you will actually have an urgent need for someone to do something. You will then realize the person's day hasn't started yet (before 9.30), the person is on a coffee break (10.00-10.30), the person has gone out for lunch (12.00-14.00), the person is recovering from lunch with another coffee break (14.00-14.30), the person's day is nearly over and it's not worth starting anything now (16.30-17.30). Basically, that leaves you with several short windows of opportunity during which you can actually get some job done. And, of course, being a foreigner, you will be the one blamed at the end for failing to achieve the target. ;)

Now going straight to the offer:

- vacation days are the bare minimum - by Wikipedia: "5 weeks[2] (+ 2 weeks of RTT (Reduction du Temps de Travail, in English : Reduction of Working Time) for the employees that choose to work 39 hours per week instead of 35), plus about 10 national holidays (usually not paid with the exception of the 1st of May)"; did they even mention the possibility of getting those two additional weeks or are they expecting you to work 39h a week without taking the additional leave?

- money is very little for Paris; at 40k brutto you're looking at ~33k after tax yearly, i.e. round that up to 3k a month; rent for a decent place starts at ~1300 euros by what I can find online. You can figure out yourself what your life would be like if you spent half of your income on rent alone. Moreover, if they advertised the offer of 55k and they are now offering 40k... do I need to comment on that?

Good luck with the interview in Germany, seems a better option.

Hi

can any body plz tell me whether 3000 Euro (net of taxes) is a gud salary for an expat to live in the city?

the company is also offering other benefits also.

i m an accountant and would be working as finance manager

thx

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

kimlee: sounds good to me, but depends a lot on your expenses. 3k netto would be great for a single person living a decent life or could be chips for a sole earner in a big family.

thx for the reply.

ye all the expenses r born by the company plus its net of taxes.

all i have to expense r the food etc.

will i be able 2 save something?

thx

thx for the reply.

ye all the expenses r born by the company plus its net of taxes.

all i have to expense r the food etc.

will i be able 2 save something?

thx

I've no idea how you could possibly live on €3000 net per month in München.

You'll need some top tips on how to economize.