Sufficient salary ranges in and around Munich

1,022 posts in this topic

Being single, no kids, and paying no church taxes... German Taxes: ~40% while French Taxes: 30%... So 10% difference there... also you could possible get paid more in France but you will work the same hours (35 in Germany). However, with the current economic situation, I would not want to be in a small company and if the larger company is hiring right now, they must be doing well. (My company had an increase of 20% in employees over the last two years.)

Also, you can always visit France with your wife when she comes to visit if you like it that much. You don't list how old you are but which company will give you a better experience and opportunity after you leave?

Don't forget that a lot of german companies will pay 13 salaries as opposed to 12 so his €30,000 take home pay would be give him probably €2300 a month and a double one at christmas (yes I know it works out at 2500/month if he divides up the other salary but just so as to have a better idea for planning.)

So if my firm paid me 13 times a year instead of the current 12 I'd be making 13/12 x my 50K brutto now? I'll have to have a word with our personnel dept...

Its worth looking into the bonus a lot of german companies have quite large bonuses (10% of base salary)

Wish mine did :(

Hi lee, i am 36 :rolleyes:

both companies provide a similar role - database admin plus some development tasks..

For that small company, based on what they say from the website, they have 200 clients in europe and they are still expending their business (very young company, founded in 2008) .

After I leave, i think that big company would surely enhance my CV...

to be or not to be, that's the question!! :huh:

I could ask the bonus when I have interview next week in Munich... if they pay 10%, that would be great!! how about the relocation? how much should i ask for?

Paris; it's heaving with hot French chicks, you only need a 60cm dish to receive English-language TV and you can get back to blighty very easily on the Eurostar or with the car for fetching all those Brit essentials you can't find in France.

That's really a tough decision for me. (...) which one you choose??

As they say in the City of Lights, "Y a pas photo"!

You could ask them to realistically cover the costs, which should include a day or two in Munich on a "familiarisation/house hunting" trip, real-estate agents fees for finding an apartment, cost of moving your belongings over here, an allowance for fittings in your new home (lights, contribution to kitchen, maybe curtains), advice from a tax advisor for the first year, and a course of German lessons, maybe a few extra days off in the first year to accommodate the move and the formalities you will need to complete on arrival.

On the other side, test the water if this is likely to be acceptable - you don't want to put them off you over a local hire. Much of the above can be offset against tax if your employer does not pay it.

great stuff!! Yorkshire lad, you always gives me very comprehensive tips!!! thanks so much!!

MrNosey? Did you live in Paris before?

work only 35 hours a week

Aaaah, the French. Love 'em sometimes. Also, don't forget that you will be expected to go on strike at least twice a month in France, which is just free holiday. Brilliant.

However, with the current economic situation, I would not want to be in a small company and if the larger company is hiring right now, they must be doing well

I keep getting told that it is really hard to find staff in Munich at the moment; unemployment is so low that is is statistically practically zero, and there is very VERY little churn in the job market here, unlike the UK. So just because they are hiring does not necessarily mean they are doing particularly well. It often seems to me that a lot of German hiring decision are based more on simple "headcount" than anything else.

Ismaning...is the job with SCA by any chance? If so, PM me, I work for SCA. Although not in IT and not based in Ismaning!

Cheers

MrNosey? Did you live in Paris before?

Yes but I left because it was full of French people back then. Not sure if that situation has improved since.

Paris full of French people? Eh? Has not been like that for years.

Paris is much more pricey than Munich when going out at restaurants and drinks. You might want to consider that as well!

I like Paris for a visit but for the price of one litre helles in a Munich biergarten, you can buy a .25 glass of tasteless Kronenbourg in Paris, it would be an easy choice for me.

Yep - personal taxes are less in France (its the employer taxes that are huge) and as you are taxed as a family you can also offset against your wife's allowance if she is not working initially. Your cost of living particlarly rent will be higher though - check out COL comparator websites to give you a rough idea:

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Germany&city=Munich

Putting my HR hat on (I'm an HR consultant doing work in in Munich but live in France) I would look also look at culture and career considerations for both you and your wife. These are usually what make assignments fail not the pay. Paris can be a pretty unfriendly place to a foreigner and the Parisian arrogance is notorious, especially in other parts of France, but can be very lively! Munich I would say is less of a culture shock if you have not lived abroad before, locals are friendly, like beer and sausages and from my experience there is quite a lot of English spoken until you get going.

Career wise - a known/established company helps a lot on CVs particularly if it has a good reputation; from a technie point are they using latest software tools etc as these make you more marketable? I could go on but hoprfully you get the jist of it.

Bon chance or vielen glück!

I don't know if I would put all my eggs in a start-up's basket in this economy. A three year old company is still in diapers.

But then again, if I was told I had to choose between moving to Paris or Mogadishu, it would be a tough choice for me.

jimmyb : thanks for your great info!! that well-known company is using the latest tech, so i could really learn a lot, but same as the company in Pairs, they are e-business company, so they use sql server 2008 and all the other BI tools for their products online.

just came back home and checked my email. Got a new mail from munich, saying i need to prepare below tasks for the interview:

12:00-13:00 Presentation of yourself in front of the management team

13:00-14:00 Interview with VP Operations and Technical Operations

A bit too much for this engineer role as i already had 2 rounds of skype video chats...

Will leave UK on this sunday to attend the interview in Paris. That company seems already happy with my previous telephone interviews, what they would do on the interview is that CEO talks about their coming projects and how I intergrate with their team... I like French people, very simple... well at least looks like..

I think so, luckly they would pay all the travel costs including one night in a cheap hotel on sunday... My agent told me that Paris is like London. If you go to the tourist places, of course it is more expensive, like 8 eruo per bottle of bear. But the local people wont' go that places, they know where they eat, drink and do shopping... sounds right. I never spent a lot when I was in london, i normally go to asda and tesco for my weekly shopping... Also she told me that i could live a bit far of the city centre in Paris and catch the train to work every day. It would work out much cheaper. It really depends on how you manage your money!!

I don't know, just wait and see.. first..

How big's the bonus? 50k is in line with average Bavaria FT salary (52k) so it's OK. The IT graduates I know in SW Germany would expect to start on 60k.

Are you suggesting that people earn more in the SW than in Munich? I would be very surprised at that, in fact, I'd be surprised if anywhere in Germany had higher salaries on average that in Munich (except for possible Frankfurt for certain professions). It needs to be like this because Munich is the most expensive city in Germany housing wise.

Either way, this guy has a masters and 8 years of experience, so if graduates are starting on 60k, I'd feel a little hard done by if I had all that experience and only got 50k.