Sufficient salary ranges in and around Munich

942 posts in this topic

Hi

I am newb here, and thanks for all your useful info here.

I had two telephone interviews in the UK with an internation company based in Ismaning and next week I will have a face to face interview. I have a master of computer science degree with 8 years of Oracle/ SQL server dba, data analysis and reporting /BI experience. So far that company is willing to pay 50000 euro + bonus +relocation package. I was told the income tax is very high in Germany, so do you think this salary is fair and enough for myself (married, but my wife is not with me at the moment)??

Thanks for yout time!!

You could check http://www.parmentier.de/steuer/steuer.htm?wagetax.htm for an idea what your net will look like.

With €50,000 a year, as a single man (which you will be considered if your wife is not with you) you'll end up with €30,000 in your pocket, or 2,500€ a month, after all deductions and health insurance. A decent apartment in the north-east of Munich will cost you around 1000€ a month, and would be big enough for you and your wife, should she decide to join you (and if she does then the additional tax-break that provides, if she doesn't work, adds around 300€ a month). Most of the rest of the living costs you can expect are similar to UK, so you can work out most of the rest yourself to make your decision. Ismaning itself is conveniently located for public transport, pretty much half-way between Munich city and the airport, and close to the A99 Autobahn which circles the east of the city and provides connections to north and south Europe. Bear in mind too that you need to consider the quality of living here, as well as the cost, so take that into account with your considerations.

How big's the bonus? 50k is in line with average Bavaria FT salary (52k) so it's OK. The IT graduates I know in SW Germany would expect to start on 60k.

Thanks all for your replies.

I found this job via the agency, jobserver, so i don't know how much the bonus is..

I worked for the council background as a senior IT engineer, my pay was about £30000 plus 35 holidays and council pension.

Thanks yknott for you link, i tried, it seems i only can get about 2100 after the tax... I think it is unbelievable!!

PS: Does it include my pension? Or do i need to pay extra for the pension to Germany or i have an option to pay back to my private pension in the UK? thanks!

Thanks yknott for you link, i tried, it seems i only can get about 2100 after the tax... I think it is unbelievable!!

Not according to my calculation - I make it nearer 2500 if you are single, without kids, and don't pay church tax. This includes all social deductions, pension and health insurance. And as I explained above, I think it's perfectly adequate to live on, in reasonable style, even in Munich.

Ificould,I don't know what you are doing to arrive at that figure. It is EUR 2,457 net in tax class 1 (single person) or EUR 2,797 in tax class 3 (wife with you but not working). Keep in mind that the deductions include public health insurance (for you AND your wife, if she comes here), mandatory pension, unemployment, disability, and income tax. You won't have any additional health care costs except for EUR 10 per quarter, if you visit a doctor in that quarter, and usually EUR 5 each for prescriptions.

YorkshireLad is right that a nice apartment (3 rooms, plus kitchen and bathroom) will cost you about EUR 1,000 in Ismaning, but that would likely be a "warm" price, which would include most utilities (water, heat, rubbish, etc. usually excludes electricity, which would be another EUR 50 or so per month.)

Assuming you don't have a lot of debt or need to send a lot of money home to your wife, that's a very decent monthly income, IMO.

The more important bit IMO is negotiating a good relocation package. Keep in mind that you'll likely have to pay 2x monthly rent to an estate agent to lease your apartment (total waste of money, but that's the system here - you can find apartments not managed by an estate agent, but they are few and far between), 2-3x monthly rent as a deposit, installation of a kitchen (as most apartments don't include a kitchen), and light fixtures throughout the apartment. That's just to get in the door and have livable rooms. Costs for bringing your things over would be on top of that, plus keeping in mind replacing many electric items (unless you put converters on everything). Of course there is more, but that's the bare minimum of things. I would guesstimate it could cost up to EUR 10,000 to get landed here in good shape.

plus keeping in mind replacing many electric items (unless you put converters on everything).

If the OP is bringing his stuff from the UK he won't need converters, just change the plugs, UK stuff works fine here.

... The IT graduates I know in SW Germany would expect to start on 60k.

Not where I work. Starting salary for recent graduates is much, much lower than that, even with bonus added in.

Sorry, should have said adapters, not converters. I can't imagine stripped down wires and changing plugs, but then again I am phobically afraid of electricity. :rolleyes:

...and I'm phobically [sic] afraid of adapters. Nasty, dangerous, uninsurable things. Better to pay for an electrician to change plugs than to risk your life.

Its worth looking into the bonus a lot of german companies have quite large bonuses (10% of base salary) which you can be usually pretty sure of getting if you meet your targets, its typically paid out twice a year and there are also some that pay 13 months a year. You need to look into all this. The important things:

- are whether job is a step in the right direction (as far as you can tell)

- whether or not you want to live in Munich

- is 2.5K acceptable

Leezas geussimate for costs I would say is not off the mark. The relocation package should include your company paying for a relocation agent and initial accommodation for at least a couple of months. The relocation agent will make getting somewhere decent to live a lot easier given that you don't speak the langauge and have no credit history here.

Living abroad is a lot of fun but it is also very hard work and after initial fun there can be a bit of an anti-climax.

Thanks mates for all your superb replies!!

don_riina: I cannot speak German, only English!! I don't know any one here, I think I have to start from scratch, like you <_< !!

I am a simple person, so if i pay 1000 every month for my flat, the rest of my money should be more than enough to live with if my wife is not with me for a short period. just read the job JD again, they set the salary in a rang of 40k-50k. I don't think I could ask more than 50k. That's ture, I should do my best to get more from my relocation package.

I just had a tel interview yesterday with a small e-business company (15 people) from Paris. They invited me to Paris next week as well. The salary they would like to pay 55000 euro plus all the insurances at the moment, not sure about the relocation package etc.. work only 35 hours a week and most of time I could work at home while doing the projects, it sounds more flexiable!! Of course, the tax in France is only about 30% after I did a quick research.

That's really a tough decision for me. If you were me, one is a well-known company in Germany, but you get less pay in a quite area; another one is a small company, but you get much more pay in a lifeful city (I do like french food, by the way :blink: ). which one you choose??

Don't forget that a lot of german companies will pay 13 salaries as opposed to 12 so his €30,000 take home pay would be give him probably €2300 a month and a double one at christmas (yes I know it works out at 2500/month if he divides up the other salary but just so as to have a better idea for planning.)

for the adapters, i normally use a computer 6-way power extension. It should work with all sorts of plugs including us ones!! i think! :rolleyes: