Recommendations for birthing clinics in Karlsruhe

18 posts in this topic

Hey Toytown. I'm new to this site.

My husband and I just moved to Germany in February this year. He's German, I'm American and am not speaking 'the German' yet. We're currently living in Ettlingen. I'm pregnant with my second, and am trying to get familiar with the whole pregnancy/birthing process here. What I'd really, really appreciate is some feedback or recommendations on which hospitals or birthing clinics, as well as midwives (English speaking), other women would recommend in the Karlsruhe area, as I don't even know where to begin.

I'm only 10 weeks along, so I have time to figure things out (whew), but I thought it couldn't hurt to start researching earlier.

Anything you can say or input you might give would be helpful! I feel a bit lost :S

Hi Kie-Kie,

Firstly, congratulations on your pregnancy. I had both my children at the Diakonissenkrankenhaus in Rueppurr, I felt that all the staff were very friendly and that the care given was excellent and would recommend it to anyone.

From memory I think there are 3 options for the delivery the Marienklinik, the Staetisches Klinikum and the Diakonnissenkrankenhaus, they all offer opening evenings so you can have a look around the delivery suites and wards and get a feeling for the place.

Regarding a midwife, a lovely lady called Karen Barth helped me once I was home after the birth, she spoke perfect english. This website lists the english speaking midwifes in Ettlingen Midwives.

Normally in Germany, the midwives in the community offer birth preperation courses, reflexology, accupuncture etc. before the birth. Once you go into hospital for the delivery, a midwife working at the hospital will look after you. Generally, once the baby has arrived you stay in the maternity wards for upto a week. The community midwife will then visit you regularly once you are back at home to make sure that the baby and mum are doing well. The community midwives also offer a Rucksbildungskurs (post pregnancy exercise class) and usually other things such as baby massage and baby care courses. I'm not sure about the maternity care provided in America, but in Germany I think its top class.

Good luck with it all.

steffysprout: Thank you for your input! The place in Rueppurr sounds worth looking into. I will do that. And thank you for the referral on the midwife, and link to midwives in Ettlingen. Will check it out.

It's so nice to hear that you found the maternity care here "top class". That makes me breath a sigh of relief. I really liked my birthing-clinic experience in the US, and felt it was the best it could get, so have been wondering if Germany could come up to that same standard. :P It seems it can (I hope so!)

And thank you, eflenstar, for the link to the other thread on this topic!

I also gave birth at the Diakonissenkrankenhaus and aside from a few small criticisms we were happy with the experience.

Let me know if you want to know what factors went into our decision process.

One of the biggest differences from giving birth in the States is that most of the care during the birth is given by midwives and usually the doctor will check in on you every once in a while. My situation wasn't all that simple, unfortunately, so I saw rather a lot of the doctor.

Diak and the Marienklinik allow you to bring your own midwife to the birth, if you are able to find on their very short list who still has a spot for you. (There are extra costs.) Because of insurance changes very few midwives still work as a "Beleghebamme" and it may already be too late to book one of them. -You can't wait for the "Infoabend" on this if you wish to pursue it. I asked around at 12/14 weeks and it was too late.

Another option is the Belegarzt, which is only available at the Marienklinik. This is slightly closer to the US model. You still have a lot of contact with the midwife, but the ob/gyn would be your personal doctor rather than whoever is on shift. This is only an option if you are a patient of one of doctors working as a Belegarzt at the Marienklinik.

- and on other topics

It is nearly impossible to sign up your child too early for a pre-school/daycare spot (although some require you to wait for the birth). I only wish it were as ridiculous as it sounds.

I wound up being "too late" to sign my child up for Pekip (an activity/child development class for babies) and we weren't able to do it and I have spoken to other parents who had similar experiences. I also and wasn't able to attend the Rückbildungsgymnastik course of my choice because I waited until just a few weeks before I wanted to start to sign up. This may not be an issue in Ettlingen, but you may want to ask around about what the waiting lists for courses, etc. are like in Ettlingen.

congratulations and all the best,

ann

Dear Ann,

I am also expecting a baby in Karlsruhe-Durlach and so listening to this discussion. Thanks for your info. Since I'm a working mom, it's absolutely critical for me to find a day care that accepts my baby after the first few months (around 1-yr old). So you mean you couldn't register in a day care? I haven't really started to look into day cares yet because I thought it was too early -- my baby's due in April. Could you please let me know if you know of any places in Karlsruhe or Durlach that may accept one-year olds? Any comments on which one is better? How early should I put myself in the waiting list?

Thanks a lot,

--Mana

I don't know about Karlsruhe, but we know people who have signed up their not-yet-born-babies up for day care, when they knew they would need it a year in advance. Also, if a spot becomes available, don't expect them to contact you. You need to be on the ball about that, inquiring about your status. This is what I was told it was like in Mannheim.

After reading all the feedback, I find I have more questions :)

steffysprout, you wrote that there are three options for where to have a baby the Marienklinik, the Staetisches Klinikum and the Diakonnissenkrankenhaus. Are these three different types of clinics/hospitals that offer different things--or are they just the names of three birthing clinics in Rueppurr? (Sorry if that's a dumb question :S) And if they are different, what are the differences?

One other question I have is: What is the process for pregnancy checkups?

With my first, I was in Mexico for the 1st-2nd trimesters. I went to a general practioner once a month for regular checkups (weight, urine, etc. No pelvic checks though!) I had one ultrasound per trimester. In my 3rd trimester I moved back to the US and started seeing my midwife and the checkups were similar, just better equipment, ha.

However, from what I've read about the process in Germany what I understand is that one sees gynecologist every month, who does internal ultrasounds at every check up. And then I guess at some point one starts seeing their midwife. Is that so? Or is there the possibility of finding a midwife sooner, who would take the place of the ob-gyn and do all those monthly check ups instead?

And if it is the ob-gyn, any recommendations of English speaking, female doctors? I found one in another Looking for an English Speaking Gyno in Karlsruhe, but apparently she's booked for a month and isn't taking new patients.

You guys are wonderful and helpful, thank you!

Hi Kie-Kie,

Here's a website to search for doctors: http://www.med-kolleg.de/arzt/

I'm only in my 14th week, so I don't have all the answers for you yet :) But based on my experience here, all doctors manage to speak English. I don't even ask anymore! Their staff, however, don't most of the time. I'm seeing a doctor in Durlach, but I suppose you're looking for one in Ettlingen. There's this really good one in KA:

Frauenärztinnen Dr. Anke Schüler und Heike Harmeyer

Gemeinschaftspraxis für Gynäkologie

und Geburtshilfe

Medizinische Genetik

Weinbrennerstr. 7

76135 Karlsruhe

Tel. 0721- 85 35 58

Fax 0721- 83 02 24 7

info@schueler-harmeyer.de

www.schueler-harmeyer.de

I stopped seeing her because she couldn't give me an appointment for 2 months when I realized I was pregnant. I get an ultrasound every time I go to my doctor which is once a month as you said. But I'm starting to think that's too much, and I'll ask her not to do it any more if possible.

I still need to checkout infoabends of the hospitals and find an English-speaking midwife. We can do that together if you like :) (m_taghdiri@yahoo.com)

Hope that helps.

It was 2007 when I toured the 3 clinics so memory is abit hazy, but I think they were all similar in what they offered and I just went with the nearest one. Best to go and have a look for yourself.

Regarding the checkups, I went monthly upto 28 weeks, every fortnight upto 36 weeks, then weekly until term date, after which I was there every couple of days.

The check ups consisted of weight, urine, blood pressure checks at every visit & various blood tests when required. I had ultrasounds at all my visits upto about 36 weeks (only the first one was internal, I think cos the baby is so small). There are 3 main ultrasound checks, at 9-12 weeks, 19-22 weeks and 29-33 weeks, the doc took various measurements to ensure correct development of the baby, the others were more of a quick look and I think he also took head measurements at each. I certainly don't think an ultrasound is required at each visit (I know in the UK, there are normally only 2 ultrasounds during the whole pregnancy). From about 31 weeks, they also took a trace of the baby's heatbeat.

I think it is possible to visit a midwife for checkups but not sure at what stage, I stayed with the Frauenarzt for all the pregnancy.

After your first visit to the doc, you'll get a Mutterpass containing all your medical notes, this might make everything a little clearer.

Sorry can't recommend a Frauenarzt, the one I visited has now retired.

Hi Ladies,

Perhaps this ought to be in a new thread, but here we go -

re: Daycare/pre-school in KA

Here is a link to a list of NEW Kitas/ Kitas with new spots for the under three set - link

Hereis the list of all the facilities broken out by location and with an indication of whether they are full-day (You have to look carefully, this could mean until 4pm.) Also don't be fooled "extended hours" are generally until 2pm.

We applied at about 5 of them either when I was 4 months along or immediately after she was born, whichever they allowed initially looking for a place when she is 1 1/2 years (so two years out). We have a spot for her, but we got it because someone moved and it's an undesirable spot because she will be forced to switch facilities when she is three. We have yet to hear back from the rest - and here they do notify you (so I have heard), meaning that we would not have received a spot for this year.

Spots for the city and church run centers are allocated in the spring for the coming school year. Applications are sent to the individual centers.

I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I am here and figured I mouth off about this too :)

They are three different hospitals.

We are fortunate here in KA that you can wait as long as you would like to pick one (unlike Munich, for example) - there are none so booked that early registration is necessary. As a result, you might be the only person not visibly pregnant at the info evening - but I still found it helpful to get an idea of what was going to go on earlier rather than later.

Remember, in an emergency, you can show up at any hospital.

The link to the Diak's maternity page - link

dates on the web page

The link to the städtisches Klinikum's relevant page - link

note - this is the hospital with the full-blown pediatrics station, so in theory, this is where you should be headed if you go into pre-term labor, no matter what your plans were to that point.

1rst Wed of the month

The Marienklinik is now part of the St. Vincentius Klinik - link

information evenings - 1rst and 3rd Wed of the month

I think you will find that all of the hospitals do a good job of supporting breastfeeding. I got lots of guidance and didn't have to struggle to see a lactation consultant like some of my friends in the States.

m_taghdiri: Thank you for the link to the Frauenarzt. We tried making an appointment but unfortunately she's all booked and not taking new patients. :( We'll keep looking. And yes, I'd be happy to look with you for midwives! Congrats on your pregnancy, by the way.

Ann_MA: Thank you for the links on each of the hospitals! Good to hear that early registration isn't a must.

steffyspout: Thanks for taking your time to explain a bit about the check up process. I look forward to getting my Mutterpass :)

My girlfriend is a midwife in Karlsuhe, She speaks perfect English, is German, so knows the system and works out of South West Karlsruhe. Shes worked in the StadtischesKlinikum and the Diakannissesn (sorry for my spelling). She does pre-natal courses aswell from her pratice in Ettlingen.

If any of you are interested please drop me a line and i can put you in touch with her.

regards

I recently gave birth in the St. Marienklinik and had such a wonderful experience. I highly recommend it. We actually were able to have a "family room" where my husbad was able to stay with me the whole time. Private bathroom, double bed and food provided for my husband. The hospital is very quiet, the care was wonderful and most of the staff speak english.

As for that doctors recommended (Harmeyer and Schüler), I go to her (Harmeyer) but I don't think she speaks English. I actually never asked but they both seemed not to understand me when I spoke to my husband in English. Both doctors there are really great and so nice. She wasn't taking on any patients when I contacted her at the beginning of my pregnancy but apparently if you are pregnant already when you ask for an appointment they have to take you on. At least that's what they told my husband.

We will be taking the tour at St. Marien Klinik tomorrow night at 18:30. They do tours the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month.

We'll also be taking the tour at Städtisches Klinikum on the first Wednesday in January at 19:30. They do tours the first Wednesday of each month.

If anyone's planning to attend these and wants to say hi, feel free to drop me an email!

We already took the tour at Diakonissen, and it was a nice presentation. Be sure to arrive a bit early to get a seat and ensure you get their information packet. (The presentation room was filled the night we went.)

You don't have to preregister for these tours, just show up.

Looking forward to hearing more about everyone's experiences!

Hi,

If anyone needs a breastfeeding advice, u can contact me.. I just arrived to Karlsruhe and speak english/spanish, few german and i am a certified breastfeeding educator that will be glad to help any of you =)

Hellooo! as the last post was a while ago... has someone had other experiences in the meanwhile? I am giving birth to my second child end of Oct and I am still not sure which hospital is best - also because I speak little German and my husband does not speak German at all... any recommendations or advise?