My SIGG bottle makes strange noises

11 posts in this topic

Something very strange is happening, I hear a strange noise like a vibration or electrical noise coming from my desk. I already moved all electrical equipment to dofferent corners of the table to try to understand from which device the noise comes from. It is not the mobile phone, not the watch, not the mouse or the computer. It is coming from the SIGG bottle!!! :blink:

Can it be that it interferes with some magnetic field coming from the computer or from the flat screen? Is there anyone out there who knows more about physics than me and can explain this strange thing? :unsure:

Thanks

It's unlikely to be any kind of electrical interference issue, since SIGGs are (usually) made from Aluminium - unless you bought a crappy one from China made from Stainless.

More likely, it's the contents changing temperature causing a pressure differential.

it should be a original SIGG, it is almost empty (contains perhaps 2-3 ml water). The paint coat is scratched and the bottle is a bit battered. Perhaps that is the problem ...

Smitty is probably right. My SIGG makes lots of noise if I put carbonated water in it. If there's some water in yours and the temperature is fluctuating, you could be getting a similar reaction. Try emptying all of the water, normally not a bad idea anyway, and leaving the nozzle open to allow air to flow freely

Hi all...

I have had the same problems for some time now. It took me few days to realize where the noise comes from. It is exactly as micia has described. I put tap water inside and regardless whether the cap is closed or not, I can hear strange vibrating noises in a while.

As far as I can recall, I started to hear the noises after few pieces of the inside layer of the bottle peeled off. It might have something to do with that then.

Other than that, I have no idea what is behind this strange behaviour.

Okay, an arts graduate with my physics hat on... could it be that it is picking up radio waves?

I've seen that happen with various bottle types when the lid is "closed" but not actually airtight. Also happens on the bottom of a mug of hot tea, if there's a little condensation under the mug and if the bottom of the mug is the right shape. My guess is that there's a pressure difference between the inside and the outside of the bottle (or in the hollow under the mug), causing tiny bubbles of liquid to move, which make the squeee noise.

Could be that the rubber is vibrating, but I think that would have a lower pitch.

It's an interesting phenomenon and one which I've only seen in Germany.