Questions on Arbeitslosengeld 1 (ALG)

77 posts in this topic

@engelchen- Thanks a lot for the info :)

@Someone'sD - So it seems the Diploma cannot get approved. With training program, we can still try, as Engelchen suggested.

One more question. Is there a penalty for quitting your job? As mentioned before the wife is thinking of taking a package so I’m assuming there a delay before ALG kicks in

Random question I'm hoping someone might know the answer to: I was collecting Arbeitlosgeld for 3 months last year in Frankfurt and then moved to Berlin to take a new job.

In submitting my taxes, apparently I need a statement that says how much I received from the Arbeitsamt. Do I need to go to/write Frankfurt to request it or can I go to a local Berlin one for it? Not sure if the system is national or state based.

26 minutes ago, candicissima said:

In submitting my taxes, apparently I need a statement that says how much I received from the Arbeitsamt. Do I need to go to/write Frankfurt to request it or can I go to a local Berlin one for it? Not sure if the system is national or state based.

The Arbeitsamt sends this Leistungsnachweis automatically until the end of February, do they know your new Berlin address in Frankfurt? If not, you have to contact the Frankfurt Arbeitsamt. But actually you need the Leistungsnachweis for your own purposes and not for the tax declaration, the Arbeitsamt submits the data to the Finanzamt electronically, simply leave the fields open (better than to give wrong numbers) in your tax declaration.

14 hours ago, someonesdaughter said:

The Arbeitsamt sends this Leistungsnachweis automatically until the end of February, do they know your new Berlin address in Frankfurt? If not, you have to contact the Frankfurt Arbeitsamt. But actually you need the Leistungsnachweis for your own purposes and not for the tax declaration, the Arbeitsamt submits the data to the Finanzamt electronically, simply leave the fields open (better than to give wrong numbers) in your tax declaration.

Too late on leaving it blank, but will reach out to them because I didn't receive anything.

Can anyone please tell me if ALG 1 is applicable for reduced working hours as well?

My sister who works for an IT Service firm since last 5+ years facing possibility of Termination (betriebsbedingte Gründe) or 50% employment with a sister concern, for the time being, with the chances (not a promise) of being reinstated by 2019 First Quarter.

1 hour ago, sachss said:

Can anyone please tell me if ALG 1 is applicable for reduced working hours as well?

No, sorry - ALG1 only covers being without job, not reducing hours.

There is 'Kurzarbeitergeld' that covers reducing hours under certain circumstances – but the employer (not the employee) would have to apply for it. 

1 hour ago, someonesdaughter said:

No, sorry - ALG1 only covers being without job, not reducing hours.

There is 'Kurzarbeitergeld' that covers reducing hours under certain circumstances – but the employer (not the employee) would have to apply for it. 

Thanks a lot for the Info.:)

On 27/10/2017, 09:41:51, franklan said:

No, you do not have to take any job offer. However, to be eligible for ALG, you need to be available... When somebody studies, he/she is not available, thus not eligible for ALG. The same might apply for a course (unless the course was assigned to you by the Agentur for Arbeit).

Make sure that your sister reports the imminent unemployment now... You have to report that condition as soon as you know about the pending unemployment, otherwise you might get a suspension of payment...

Hello, after reading this reply, I would like to ask you a question if you don't mind. Can one take an integration course which is only 12 hours per week when his getting ALG1? Does it mean he is still available meanwhile???  
The advisor from AfA advised my friend to have an integration course but it is neither assigned nor paid by AfA. The course will be paid by my friend himself.  She did not tell him if he could be still eligible for ALG after he enrolled for a course, either. On the one hand, my friend knows he must do what she told him to, on the other hand, he doesn't want to be not eligible for ALG 1 after having a course. In this case, he would like to know an evening course (normally 10-12 hours per week) will let him be in a win-win situation. Thank you very much for you great help.

1 hour ago, IML said:

Hello, after reading this reply, I would like to ask you a question if you don't mind. Can one take an integration course which is only 12 hours per week when his getting ALG1? Does it mean he is still available meanwhile???  
The advisor from AfA advised my friend to have an integration course but it is neither assigned nor paid by AfA. The course will be paid by my friend himself.  She did not tell him if he could be still eligible for ALG after he enrolled for a course, either. On the one hand, my friend knows he must do what she told him to, on the other hand, he doesn't want to be not eligible for ALG 1 after having a course. In this case, he would like to know an evening course (normally 10-12 hours per week) will let him be in a win-win situation. Thank you very much for you great help.

The fact that he was advised by his AfA advisor to take part in the course should provide sufficient protection of his continuing ALG I support. He could ask the advisor to provide written confirmation of their advice if he is worried.

Being available to take up employment does not necessrily mean being ready to turn up on the job immediately. The main point is to be available for interviews within reasonable notice. Choosing the evening sessions would obviously maximize your friends' window of availability.

The integration courses are usually offered in 12 hour weekly blocks and most of them are run during morning, afternoon and evening sessions. Participants may self-select which of those sessions they sign up for. Applicants who are working or have child-care duties during the day may be given priority for the evening sessions.

Note: some of those who are obligated to take the courses are often reluctant to participate and may also be disruptive in classes so, as they are mostly there in the daytime sessions, the more serious students tend to progress quicker in evening sessions. This is not a universal truth, but it is widely reported.

Good luck to your friend with his progress and, "Hats off!" to you for your concern.

2B

2 hours ago, 2B_orNot2B said:

The fact that he was advised by his AfA advisor to take part in the course should provide sufficient protection of his continuing ALG I support. He could ask the advisor to provide written confirmation of their advice if he is worried.

Being available to take up employment does not necessrily mean being ready to turn up on the job immediately. The main point is to be available for interviews within reasonable notice. Choosing the evening sessions would obviously maximize your friends' window of availability.

The integration courses are usually offered in 12 hour weekly blocks and most of them are run during morning, afternoon and evening sessions. Participants may self-select which of those sessions they sign up for. Applicants who are working or have child-care duties during the day may be given priority for the evening sessions.

Note: some of those who are obligated to take the courses are often reluctant to participate and may also be disruptive in classes so, as they are mostly there in the daytime sessions, the more serious students tend to progress quicker in evening sessions. This is not a universal truth, but it is widely reported.

Good luck to your friend with his progress and, "Hats off!" to you for your concern.

2B

Thank you very much. Without those helping me like you do, I can't help him anything, either.  "Hats off!" to you, too. Thanks indeed:lol:

Hi all,

I will be officially unemployed in a few weeks after 12 months of employment, therefore I'll be eligible for ALG 1. On top of my job as an employee, I was also earning a little money as a freelancer but my work stream and income were/are quite irregular: I write articles for a magazine and they get published whenever the editors decide to, so technically the work that I sent in December 2019 could be published at any time – 3, 6, 10 months later, sometimes even more... Also, I don't get notified about the publications in advance.

So my questions are:

1) when my employment ends and I start receiving ALG 1, can I still earn money from freelancing? I understood there's an hourly and earning limit (no more than 15 hours/week, and 165ish Euros per month, am I right?) but what if this income is not monthly? I can earn 600 Euros in one month and nothing for four months, and then some more... how would I calculate that, knowing that I cannot know how many articles will be published in my ALG 1 period?

2) How and when should I calculate my freelance earnings for tax/insurance reasons? For example, if I wrote (and sent) an article in January and that article gets published in May and I get paid for that in June, would the payment for the article be included in my January earnings (when I was still employed and paying my own health insurance) or in June (while unemployed and on ALG 1)?

3) Would I need to pay health insurance if I earned money from freelancing? I am married, so while unemployed I could technically go back to being covered by my husband's insurance but I guess that if I have earnings from freelance jobs I can no longer do that.

So, to summarise, would you say it's better that I asked the magazine to "freeze" my articles for a while and start publishing them again when I am no longer on ALG 1 and I will have decided if I want to maximise my freelance business or just look for another job?

Thanks so much for your help! 

Hi guys,

So I am likely going to have to apply to receive Arbeitslosengeld as of this summer. I've worked for a good decade so I know what I am entitled to and for how long, etc. One question I have though (as I've never been unemployed in Germany):

After I apply I understand I'll get an invite to go to the Arbeitsamt in person to meet my councilor. Once I do this I'll be able to receive my monthly payment to keep me going and I'll need to continue applying for jobs

Question: How often do you have to physically have to go into the Arbeitsamt to meet up with your councilor?

I understand you can change dates if you have a valid reason, and that if you miss numerous appointments then the payment can be reduced or even withheld, etc, just want to know what obligation you have to physically be at the Arbeitsamt if you're actively applying for jobs anyway?

On 30.4.2018, 12:33:17, sachss said:

My sister who works for an IT Service firm since last 5+ years facing possibility of Termination (betriebsbedingte Gründe) or 50% employment with a sister concern, for the time being, with the chances (not a promise) of being reinstated by 2019 First Quarter.

For periods of short-time work, the normal remuneration is taken into account for unemployment benefit - without overtime or absences. https://www.hartz4.de/arbeitslosengeld-teilzeit/

The employee has the advantage that the months already entitled to unemployment benefit are not affected by the reduced hours compensation. If he is dismissed at a later date, his unemployment benefit is calculated on the basis of the amount of his salary before he started receiving short-time work benefits. Acquired ALG entitlements do not expire. The reduction of the salary in the KUG does not have any negative effects on the amount of the later unemployment benefit in the event of termination. This is an important reason for the employee to agree to short-time work

https://www.akademie.de/wissen/kurzarbeit-kurzarbeitergeld-kleine-unternehmen .

One thing I haven't understood is this, if I found a job before my ALG-1 period of 6 months ends, I worked for some time and then I quit the job myself (without being fired or being made redundant) would I lose my entitlement for the outstanding ALG 1 payments? Thanks!

3 hours ago, Jean Genie said:

One thing I haven't understood is this, if I found a job before my ALG-1 period of 6 months ends, I worked for some time and then I quit the job myself (without being fired or being made redundant) would I lose my entitlement for the outstanding ALG 1 payments? Thanks!

The sperrzeit or blocked period is taken from your entitlement so if you get a 3 month block period for quitting and you had 3 months or less left on your entitlement, you would lose it or if you had more, you would lose 3 months of it.

If instead of quitting, you could find a medical reason why you can't cope with that job, stress etc., you could possibly spare yourself the blocked period.

On 01/05/2020, 20:33:58, LeonG said:

The sperrzeit or blocked period is taken from your entitlement so if you get a 3 month block period for quitting and you had 3 months or less left on your entitlement, you would lose it or if you had more, you would lose 3 months of it.

If instead of quitting, you could find a medical reason why you can't cope with that job, stress etc., you could possibly spare yourself the blocked period.

I see, thank you so much for your help!