Questions on Arbeitslosengeld 1 (ALG)

77 posts in this topic

On 22/05/2017, 10:44:25, Tim Hortons Man said:

@Anika any updates? noticed you had a few posts about moving for a job.

1. Every 3 months you will get called in for an interview to discuss how your job searching has been going and is there any prospects of work soon. There's no real pressure involved, just an informal chat. As long as you show some signs you are looking for work that will keep them happy (see spreadsheet info below). You get notified by letter a number of weeks before the interview, and get a text reminder the day before. So efficient! It is possible to reschedule the interview but you'll need a good reason. A form comes with the original interview request a change of date.

2. I was never made to attend any interviews for jobs, that responsibility was all mine. No suggestions or any kind were given. Maybe this depends on your skillset and also the temperament of the the person you are dealing with.

3. No demands are made. Maybe after a long time (> 8 months) that might happen.

4. Not sure. You can actually work a small amount and still get ALG I, not sure the exact amount, like one day a week, or might depend how much you earn at that job. You can ask them, I only found this out later. Questions like that also make them happy ;) They like to see that you are pro-active in attempting to rejoin the workforce.

5. Again, not sure. If you are already getting ALG I just send an email. If it makes you more employable and is short term they might go for it, though I have no actual experience of this situation.

6. Whether they ask you or not its a good idea to send them an email every month. I used to send a spreadsheet showing what jobs I was applying for; dates, location, position applied for, outcome, interview yes/no, etc. As long as there is >10 per month they should be happy with that.

You are also allowed to take holidays, I think max. 3 weeks, but you need to notify them in advance.

Thanks, an update for us. On another thread I was asking about pensions when laid off. ALG will pay for your healthcare costs while not working but what about pension? That is my big concern as it's nearly 1500€ a month to hold the pension. 

31 minutes ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

Thanks, an update for us. On another thread I was asking about pensions when laid off. ALG will pay for your healthcare costs while not working but what about pension? 

"Erhalten Sie Arbeitslosengeld, werden Sie rentenrechtlich so gestellt, als hätten Sie mit 80 Prozent Ihres vorherigen monatlichen Bruttoarbeitsverdienstes weitergearbeitet. Die „Rentenminderung“ beträgt in diesen Fällen also 20 Prozent gegenüber dem vorherigen Bruttoarbeitsentgelt aus einer versicherten Beschäftigung."

https://www.deutsche-rentenversicherung.de/Allgemein/de/Inhalt/2_Rente_Reha/01_rente/03_vor_der_rente/03_rentenzeiten/01_rentenrechtliche_zeiten/00_03_arbeitslosigkeit.html#doc214260bodyText1

35 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

"Erhalten Sie Arbeitslosengeld, werden Sie rentenrechtlich so gestellt, als hätten Sie mit 80 Prozent Ihres vorherigen monatlichen Bruttoarbeitsverdienstes weitergearbeitet. Die „Rentenminderung“ beträgt in diesen Fällen also 20 Prozent gegenüber dem vorherigen Bruttoarbeitsentgelt aus einer versicherten Beschäftigung."

https://www.deutsche-rentenversicherung.de/Allgemein/de/Inhalt/2_Rente_Reha/01_rente/03_vor_der_rente/03_rentenzeiten/01_rentenrechtliche_zeiten/00_03_arbeitslosigkeit.html#doc214260bodyText1

Thanks that's along the lines of what I thought!

One more question, as mentioned elsewhere my wife's company is moving the whole IT department to cheaper locations (Romania India and Portugal) so I'm looking at this as an opportunity to Engineer her layoff and if it goes as planned retire much earlier than planned (58-60 rather than 66 and 10 months). She just found out that the package can be paid out over 2-4 years. This has the advantage of saving a bit of tax but more importantly making it easier to budget. So my question is if she did that would have to wait till the full amount has been paid out or is it just the normal waiting period.

Thanks and loads of greenies to everyone :lol:

8 hours ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

So my question is if she did that would have to wait till the full amount has been paid out or is it just the normal waiting period.

What normal waiting period? Sorry, I can't follow you. Maybe I need to look for that other thread first...

Sorry to clarify, when you take a Abfindung from your job you usually have a delay before you can collect ALG. Normally the abfindung is paid out all at once but there is an option to take it over 4 years

I was thinking to take a "risk" and change a job for better payed one in other German city 

in case if it will not work , will I be still able to get full amount from what I payed previously? or it will be reset to that specific city  or region?

On 05/09/2017, 22:50:56, alien7 said:

I was thinking to take a "risk" and change a job for better payed one in other German city 

in case if it will not work , will I be still able to get full amount from what I payed previously? or it will be reset to that specific city  or region?

There is no regional adjustment; your entitlement will be calculated based on your average earnings for the 12 months before your termination. 

8 hours ago, RedMidge said:

And take into account- 3 month? Sperrzeit, if you leave your job.

Only if he quits the new job; there is no Sperrzeit if he is fired during the probationary period. 

4 hours ago, engelchen said:

there is no Sperrzeit if he is fired during the probationary period. 

Hold the horses:

If he gets fired without a reason mentioned in the termination, no Sperrzeit. You're right about that, Engelchen. That's the "it just didn't work out" situation.

However, if he didn't show up for several days, and thus provokes being fired during the probation period, he's in trouble, when that is mentioned in the termination.

Sure as hell, if he gets a "Fristlose Kündigung" due to being caught stealing or touching Boobs at work, there will be a Sperrzeit, too.

In summary: The employer may fire you without giving any reason in the probation period. If that's the case, there is no way to apply a Sperrzeit, as the Amt has no way to prove a wrongdoing. But if the employer fires and gives a reason why (naming that wrongdoing in the termination), that may result in a Sperrzeit.

3 hours ago, franklan said:

In summary: The employer may fire you without giving any reason in the probation period. If that's the case, there is no way to apply a Sperrzeit, as the Amt has no way to prove a wrongdoing. But if the employer fires and gives a reason why (naming that wrongdoing in the termination), that may result in a Sperrzeit.

Although I agree with everything you wrote, let's face it, what employer gives a reason for termination in the probationary period?

If the employer gives a reason, the former employee might receive a Sperre, and then the former employee sues the employer. If the employer doesn't give a reason, they get rid of the problem without having to worry about any legal issues. Asozial, but from what I hear it happens rather frequently. <_<

I have a question regarding Arbeitslosengeld 1, in combination with skill upgradation course.

Since last 4 years, my sister works with an IT Service firm in Düsseldorf, which is being bought by a larger firm around early next year.

She has 2 options : take up a position with a sister company of the acquiring firm for much inferior terms and conditions or accept termination on operational grounds (Betriebsbedingte Kündigung).

She is eligible for Arbeitslosengeld 1, and wants to take the second option. In the meantime, she wants to join a skill upgradation course with a private training institute, or take up a full time 1 year Diploma in Fachhochschule.

What we understand of Arb 1, that it is an insurance entitlement, and the recepient doesn't need to take up any job offer. Can someone please correct if this is wrong ? If she joins the Diploma course, she will have to completely focus on her academic work loads, and can only passively look for jobs she can take up upon completion of the course.

2 minutes ago, sachss said:

In the meantime, she wants to join a skill upgradation course with a private training institute, or take up a full time 1 year Diploma in Fachhochschule.

What we understand of Arb 1, that it is an insurance entitlement, and the recepient doesn't need to take up any job offer.

No, you do not have to take any job offer. However, to be eligible for ALG, you need to be available... When somebody studies, he/she is not available, thus not eligible for ALG. The same might apply for a course (unless the course was assigned to you by the Agentur for Arbeit).

Make sure that your sister reports the imminent unemployment now... You have to report that condition as soon as you know about the pending unemployment, otherwise you might get a suspension of payment...

Thanks a lot @franklan. This is exactly the question. She continues to live in Düsseldorf, irrespective of the choice she makes regarding accepting alternative job offer / training / Diploma. And she can attend any meeting with Agentur für Arbeit. Does that count as being available ?

The courses / praktikum etc which Agentur may suggest Arb 1 recepient to join are optional. Furthermore, with training program she's undergoing a skill upgradation program in her field. The Diploma is however more generic academic program, but totally in her area of competence.

PS: Can she report now, without the documents of Betriebsbedingte Kündigung. We assume it will take at least another month.

28 minutes ago, sachss said:

The courses / praktikum etc which Agentur may suggest Arb 1 recepient to join are optional.

The courses the ALG I offer are not always optional.

Furthermore, with training program she's undergoing a skill upgradation program in her field.

If she can convince her Vermittler, the Agentur für Arbeit might be willing to pick up the cost of training programme.

The Diploma is however more generic academic program, but totally in her area of competence.

Doesn't matter. If she is a full-time student, she is not eligible for ALG I.

PS: Can she report now, without the documents of Betriebsbedingte Kündigung. We assume it will take at least another month.

Does she have anything in writing yet?

58 minutes ago, sachss said:

What we understand of Arb 1, that it is an insurance entitlement, and the recepient doesn't need to take up any job offer.

She can't just refuse jobs because she doesn't want to work and would prefer to study. How much lower is the offer than what she is now earning? If it is at least 20% less, she can argue that it would be sittenwidrig.

@engelchen Thanks a lot.

- She is going to join an SAP course, which is expensive; we do not think Agentur would sponsor that. Still we can ask; there is nothing to lose.

- She doesn't have any document at hand, just communicated by manager. In fact manager (who is pretty helpful) wants employees to think over it.

- The alternative offer is new job offer from new company (the acquiring company's subsidiary). And it is first level support job (but nothing confirmed yet).

- What we understand, she is getting fired and re-hired (hence alternatively, she is getting fired, and getting into Weiterbildung, while unemployed)

- The real question is : While on ARB 1, option to take up any (first) job offer which comes her way or not. If yes, it's basically same as Arb2, which is not conditional upon net worth.

31 minutes ago, sachss said:

- The real question is : While on ARB 1, option to take up any (first) job offer which comes her way or not. 

It is called ALG1 not "ARB1" and no, she has not to take "any" job offer – but she as to be available to the job market (not only for meetings with the Agentur). Doing a Weiterbildung or studies or anything else that is not initiated or approved by the Agentur für Arbeit means she is not available, hence no ALG1. 

47 minutes ago, sachss said:

- She is going to join an SAP course, which is expensive; we do not think Agentur would sponsor that. Still we can ask; there is nothing to lose.

There are SAP courses that they cover, whether or not your sister can obtain approval will probably depend on how much they still have left in the budget (it is almost the end of the year).

The real question is : While on ARB 1, option to take up any (first) job offer which comes her way or not. If yes, it's basically same as Arb2, which is not conditional upon net worth.

The answer is in SGB III § 140. See the Fachliche Weisungen for more info.