Questions on Arbeitslosengeld 1 (ALG)

77 posts in this topic

It is not so easy to shift away to a big city like Berlin, Frankfurt or Munich where the job opportunities would be much better.

You do realize that those rural districts in Baden-Württemberg have Vollbeschäftigung where pretty much everyone is employed somewhere - whereas say in Berlin someone in your position can be glad to get a legal full-time job where he earns anything more than 450 Euro? (oh, and those jobs are now gonna disappear into the grey market since the introduction of a minimum wage this week).

For every year of work and payment to the unemployment fund, you get 6 months Anspruch. That is normal.

Umm... no?

It's actually:

- before the first 12 months are full they earn you nothing; first 12 months then earn you 6 months entitlement

- next 12 months you get 2 months entitlement every 4 months contribution (hence 12 months max)

- if you're over 50, you can get another 3 months entitlement with another 6 months contribution (15 months max)

- if you're over 55, you can get another 3 months entitlement with another 6 months contribution (18 months max)

- if you're over 58, you can get another 6 months entitlement with another 12 months contribution (24 months max)

Hi everyone,

I couldn't find a better fitting forum for this question.

I will be receiving ALG I from March 2015 first time ever. I am hoping to get a job that fits as soon as possible of course, however, I would love to take time for an Integrationskurs now. I have been living in Berlin for more than 2 years, and worked this full period, so I had no time to do it.

I went to the Jobcenter last week and asked about it and I am not really an eligible person to receive funding for that (overqualified or whatever), which I don't mind. As I understood these courses are quite affordable anyhow.

My question is: Can I pay out of pocket for an Integrationskurs that lasts for about 3 months while I am on ALG I? This would mean that, though applying for jobs, I couldn't take any full-time employment while the course is running. Should I ask the Arbeitsamt about this next time I see them or just register and do the course anyway?

Thanks for any replies, I hope I was clear.

Hello there,

I hope I can find some info on a topic that nobody I asked seems to be sure about it.

I receive ALG 1 since the 1st of March and everything is going well so far. The money I receive though is not that much and my parents are willing to help me a bit financially until i find a new job.

The question is, will there be any problem with ALG 1 if I receive some money in my bank account?

And generally speaking, are there any restrictions with ALG 1 when it comes to the financial status of my bank account? I have no idea if they check the activity of my bank account or not.

Thanks a lot for any help!

You could be a millionaire- no problem.

ALG 1 money isn't welfare. It's money you and your employer have paid into the mandatory unemployment insurance before. And has nothing to do with your wealth status.

Once this insurance doesn't pay anymore (usually after 12 months) and you slip to ALG2- that's welfare, and there your bank account or other assets would be of importance .

Hi everyone, 

Such a wealth of information here on TT!!

A follow up question as I have not found this discussed despite looking through a bunch of the 95 threads that appear in a search. If I am let go after 3 years of working in Germany, I understand that I am entitled to arbeitslosengeld 1 for 12 months. I realise this is not welfare and I have been paying in a nice chunk every month for this eventuality. I have read it is 67 % of previous salary. Now to the specifics because I want to make sure I really am on top of this and do not get any nasty surprises. Assumption, as we all know, is the mother of all **** ups. 

1) is there a ceiling/ maximum? I was luckily quite well paid. 

2) Does age or children affect the %? 

3) Does the income of your spouse affect your eligibility or % your receive. 

4) Do savings affect it?

5) anything else I have not even thought of? 

PS anyone need a very hard-working creative problem solver who has dealt with logistics issues of all types in many parts of the world? And who sadly worked so hard she didn't have time to learn German. (short sighted obviously)

Thanks to all who have some answers!!

Your profile says you're a "feline" male of 46 years of age, living in Berlin. Please fill out your profile properly, instead of asking for help and expecting us to know your situation well enough (how, by osmosis?!) to give the right answers.

Good morning,

Thank you  the frollein for your reply. I am actually female and had not checked my profile since creating it. I must have marked male by accident although I am not sure what relevance it has to arbeitslosdgeld. And I am not a great fan of dividing people into nationalities unless it is really necessary which is rare. For my question, the only possible relevance I see is if I am EU national or not and I am. I am an EU feline ;) And I am 46 married with 2 children and YES I do live in Berlin and I love the city. I also have a cat.

Hope that clarifies enough of my situation and allows me to appeal for informational assistance in this community of the wise and expereinced.

Kato - thanks for your reply. Anyone have specifics regarding ceiling and percentage if you have children. Also, my children are on my husbands tax return- does this mean they don't count in my favour?

Thank you!

I am fired from the job (midi-job, about 750€/mo) that I have been working for just over a year now.  I was assuming I can claim ALG I, but I am also registered as self-employed earning around 200€/mo from it.  I am planning to make my self-employed work the main source of income eventually (hopefully within 5 or 6 mo.) but I see no way to increase the income that much within the next few months.  Would I qualify for ALG I, or do I need to deal with Harz IV for help?  I would be willing to work part time but not interested in finding a full time job at this point as I want to put more effort into building my business.  Does anyone know?

On 23 December 2015 at 13:59:36, potato said:

I am fired from the job (midi-job, about 750€/mo) that I have been working for just over a year now.  I was assuming I can claim ALG I, but I am also registered as self-employed earning around 200€/mo from it.  I am planning to make my self-employed work the main source of income eventually (hopefully within 5 or 6 mo.) but I see no way to increase the income that much within the next few months.  Would I qualify for ALG I, or do I need to deal with Harz IV for help?  I would be willing to work part time but not interested in finding a full time job at this point as I want to put more effort into building my business.  Does anyone know?

Ok, I guess I am answering my own question.  I was at the AA and they said as long as I do not work more than 15hr/week, I am eligible.  Does not matter how much € I earn, it is the hours that count, interestingly enough.

One thing I forgot to ask today at AA, if anyone here knows...

So to qualify for ALG I, one needs 365 days of employment over the last two years, right?  I always thought it is 365 days at the last workplace (so even if one has worked 730 days in the last 2 years, s/he looses right to claim ALG I if worked less than a year at the last workplace).  So, it does not actually matter how many days one worked at the last workplace before claiming ALG I, as long as s/he was employed for 365 days over the last 2 years?

The reason I am asking this is, I might have found a new job I can start right away, but am afraid I will loose the right to ALG I if I get fired during probezeit (first 6 mo.) for some stupid reason (I have seen many companies in this type of work do this to avoid responsibility).  If that is the case, am I better off waiting till I start receiving ALG I to find a new job, just in case?

On 31/05/2013, 09:57:41, PandaMunich said:

Yes, don't worry, that is one of the advantages of public health insurance.

Makes no difference. If he is private he needs to go back to public if he wants his health insurance paid for by the Agentur.

15 hours ago, potato said:

I was at the AA and they said as long as I do not work more than 15hr/week, I am eligible.  Does not matter how much € I earn, it is the hours that count, interestingly enough.

14 hours ago, potato said:

So to qualify for ALG I, one needs 365 days of employment over the last two years, right?

No, actually you need 12 months.

14 hours ago, potato said:

The reason I am asking this is, I might have found a new job I can start right away, but am afraid I will loose the right to ALG I if I get fired during probezeit (first 6 mo.) for some stupid reason (I have seen many companies in this type of work do this to avoid responsibility).  If that is the case, am I better off waiting till I start receiving ALG I to find a new job, just in case?

You won't become ineligible if you start right away. However, there are advantages and disadvantages of starting a new job before first filing a claim. Will you be earning more or less at the new job compared to the previous job?

Thank you engelchen!

I will be earning about the same at the new job (that is, if I get it).

What are advantages and disadvantages of starting a job before filing a claim?

I have already sent in the application online for "ALG I", but still need to turn in some forms, including "Arbeitsbescheinigung" from the former employers within the last 5 years.  I am not sure if my ALG I claim is considered "filed", or as it is still not complete, just "pending"?  I have a feeling that the former employers will need some time before returning the filled forms to me, possibly even after I start the new job.  I still haven't even mailed them the forms, as I feel maybe all is not necessary if I get a new job within a few weeks.  If I get the new job right away and inform the AA, should I still turn in all the "Arbeitsbescheinigung" for a possible future claim?

Or, should I ask the new job to register me one day after the last day at my old job so I'll have at least one day of unemployment if that is a way to avoid risking the future possibility in receiving ALG I?

Sorry if it all sounds confusing, but I am quite confused with the whole thing...

Thanks again,

On 30 December 2015 at 09:13:17, engelchen said:

You won't become ineligible if you start right away. However, there are advantages and disadvantages of starting a new job before first filing a claim. Will you be earning more or less at the new job compared to the previous job?

Hi engelchen,

Would very very much appreciate it if you could elaborate on what the advantages and disadvantages are...  I explained my situation in the above post.

Thank you very much again for the earlier info.

Hi all,

I have few questions regarding claiming ALG I. These were mentioned by my german friend about claiming ALG-I. So i need clarification on the facts.

1. After like 3 months of receiving ALG - I, the Agentur fuer Arbeits will start pressurizing the receiver to find a job as soon as possible(?)

2. They will even ask you to give interviews for the jobs that are not relevant to the receiver (?)

3. They will demand to take up some workshop/training if the receiver could not get a job in 3 months (?)

Could someone please provide me the facts and clarification? 

Additionally,

4. while receiving ALG-I, can one do Deutsch intensive course ?

5. or what if the receiver wants to do some advanced certification related to their career/ technology so that he/she can land in a good job position and does not want to apply for job offers in the meantime?

6. Is it mandatory to continuously apply for the jobs and report to the arbeitsamt?

Please kindly enlighten me, TIA