Moving to Berlin and my situation or question is unique

1,846 posts in this topic

You´ll get a residence permit so that you can live with your wife. Together with her, that is. You can´t live separated if you want a family permit.

3 hours ago, overlord_jake said:

Yes, she would come with me to Germany, silly expats.

Remember that you leave a country with fast internet, contact-free payments and online governmental services in return for Germany 👻.

6 hours ago, Sir Percy B said:

Just don't show your wife this post! 

Trust me referring to your wife as an 'it' won't get you very far..:lol: 

Perfectly good German! As Mark Twain so lucidly explained:

"In the German it is true that by some oversight of the inventor of the language, a Woman is a female; but a Wife (Weib) is not -- which is unfortunate. A Wife, here, has no sex; she is neuter; so, according to the grammar, a fish is he, his scales are she, but a fishwife is neither."

(From "The Awful German Language.")

12 hours ago, overlord_jake said:

Ok where can I find info on a Family/dependent visa?

Yes, she would come with me to Germany, silly expats. “It” is our marriage, which is heavenly.

The way you worded it, it didn't sound as if that would necessarily be the case!

This site has some info in English:

https://www.make-it-in-germany.com/en/living-in-germany/family-reunification/spouses-eu-citizens/

As you are American, then you should be able to enter Germany first and then apply for the residence permit.  So you don't need a visa to enter the country, which makes things easier.  Obviously you will need accommodation, health insurance etc. organised, and you must apply soon after arriving.  But having already lived here, then I expect you already know a lot of this.