Moving to Berlin and my situation or question is unique

1,846 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Find an apartment where you can register.

 

That would require actually renting another place, i can't afford to rent two different places at the same time and can't get out of my sublease at this point unfortunately. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're not allowed to register your sublease, it's because your tenant/landlord doesn't have permission to sublet, making it illegal. IMO you can get out of it based on that simple fact.

 

Just food for thought.

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone, 

 

I'm a Canadian undergrad student preparing for an exchange semester in Berlin in spring/summer 2019 (March-August). My exchange university (Humboldt) recently sent us an email warning about the housing situation in Berlin, and about how a lot of exchange students can't find a place to stay on their own. They suggest registering for a spot in student residence, but that would be an hour-long commute for me each way since I'll be going to the Mitte campus. 

 

Being well-acquainted with the terrible housing situation in my own city (Toronto), I started looking for places immediately, but I quickly realized that I don't know enough about Berlin neighbourhoods to be able to make an informed decision about any of the places I find. So my question is this: what are some areas you would consider quiet, safe, and accessible in Berlin? I don't really care about living in the "trendy" neighbourhoods (i.e. Kreuzberg/P'berg), and would prefer living somewhere clean, family-friendly, and middle/upper-middle class. I know that I'm considerably limiting my options, but, being a 19 y/o vaguely Middle Eastern-looking girl with my anxieties about striking out on my own, I don't want to take a gamble with housing while I'm in Berlin.

 

Also – has anyone had any experiences with the many student housing companies in Beriln (i.e. The Fizz, StayToo, House of Nations)? 

 

Thanks so much for your help! 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to TT, @maralatt

 

I don't live in Berlin so I'll leave it to some of those TTers who do to give you their tips about specific areas and answer your question.

 

I'm posting to strongly advise you to put "accommodation scams" into the site search box (top right) and READ carefully all the threads that search brings up.

 

The Berlin, Munich, Frankfurt, Hamburg and Stuttgart rental markets are all very popular targets for internationally operating scammers. Many credible looking, but tempting because of their apparent cost:benefit advantage, scam offers are posted in every popular real estate advertising website in Germany.

 

People come here regularly who have already, or are about to, throw their money away.

 

Read those threads.

 

There are multiple tips in them and on other threads in TT on how to do it right and find good and genuine offers.

 

Apart from looking up the BVG (public tranport provider in Berlin) site for their maps, so you can plan better where to live, another thing you should familiarize yourself with are the common abreviations used in all German housing ads. 

 

Liste der Abkürzungen in Wohnungsanzeigen – Wikipedia

 

Also, when trying to find results for Germany its better if you don't use www.google.com Instead use www.google.de

 

deepL offers smoother machine translations than www.translate.google.com although the latter will 'translate' entire pages if you set the source and target laguages, feed the page URL into the source language box and hit, punch or kick manually encourage it to do so.

 

Good luck with your move and studies and enjoy your time in Berlin!

 

2B

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much for your advice, @2B_orNot2B! I really appreciate it. 

 

I was already staying away from more informal postings (on facebook, craigstlist, and the like) but I had assumed that listings on more credible real estate websites (wunderflat, nestpick etc) would be safe. It's good to know that I have to be more careful on these as well – now I'm really considering visiting Berlin sometime in the fall to actually view places before I pay for them long-distance. 

 

Thanks so much also for all your other tips – I have a good reading knowledge of German (somewhere between B2 and C1) so I don't need to translate absolutely everything, but the list of abbreviations is still incredibly helpful!

 

So glad to have found TT, and thanks so much again! 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh now learning German isn't a problem really - online platforms, books, TV-shows. Yeah I know that seems too simple though it works when you start. I learnt Italian up to B2 level and just after that I went to a language course to improve my oral speech skills. Wish you luck!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My situation is not unique.  Have searched the forum database and found an old, out of date post that relates to my question.  Looking for a more current perspective.  I am moving to Berlin from Montreal.  I have a recording studio here that I am relocating to Berlin.  Have read all of the pertinent German law regarding imports/customs.  Looking for general advice about shipping (by boat) and customs paperwork from a Canadian who has shipped their life over the ocean in a container.  Currently considering Europack here in Montreal as the overseas shipper.  Any advice greatly appreciated.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, shackpalace said:

 Looking for general advice about shipping (by boat) and customs paperwork from a Canadian who has shipped their life over the ocean in a container. 

Good luck with that.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shackpalace said:

My situation is not unique.  Have searched the forum database and found an old, out of date post that relates to my question.  Looking for a more current perspective.  I am moving to Berlin from Montreal.  I have a recording studio here that I am relocating to Berlin.  Have read all of the pertinent German law regarding imports/customs.  Looking for general advice about shipping (by boat) and customs paperwork from a Canadian who has shipped their life over the ocean in a container.  Currently considering Europack here in Montreal as the overseas shipper.  Any advice greatly appreciated.

Contact 2-3 main International shippers in Montreal for quotes and advice. They know about  import/custom laws. And will do everything.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Contact 2-3 main International shippers in Montreal for quotes and advice. They know about  import/custom laws. And will do everything.

 

 

Already done.  Looking to have a more specific discussion about the logistics with someone who has gone through the process already.  Specifics being container shipments from Canada/Montreal.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is required of non EU citizen that want's to move to Berlin/germany for work and study? 

How possible is it to get Job that can take care of my  school fees and my accommodation and feeding? 

And most importantly, I don't have a sponsor and probably can't foot the bill and will have to enroll in a language school before schooling .

Any hope for me or help? 

Can take up any job(day and night perhaps 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Augustus said:

What is required of non EU citizen that want's to move to Berlin/germany for work and study? 

 

Work or study? To study you need a higher education entrance qualification recognised in Germany and financial means to make a living (verifiable and paid into a blocked account for the first year). And, of course, sufficient language skills for the desired course of study. You can't get a visa without all this.

 

18 minutes ago, Augustus said:

How possible is it to get Job that can take care of my  school fees and my accommodation and feeding? 

 

Next to impossible, non-Eu/EWR students are not allowed to work full time but only for 120 full days (or 240 half days, less than 4 hours). 

 

18 minutes ago, Augustus said:

And most importantly, I don't have a sponsor and probably can't foot the bill and will have to enroll in a language school before schooling .

 

The chances of finding a sponsor who risks tens of thousands of euros are likely to be slim. Sorry. 

 

18 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Any hope for me or help? 

 

Not really, sorry.

 

18 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Can take up any job(day and night perhaps 

 

No, you can't, see above. In order to work in Germany (instead of studying) you would have to have a qualified profession, which is lacking here and pass the priority examination - for the job there must be neither Germans nor EU citizens available who can exercise it. 

 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

 

Work or study? To study you need a higher education entrance qualification recognised in Germany and financial means to make a living (verifiable and paid into a blocked account for the first year). And, of course, sufficient language skills for the desired course of study. You can't get a visa without all this.

 

 

Next to impossible, non-Eu/EWR students are not allowed to work full time but only for 120 full days (or 240 half days, less than 4 hours). 

 

 

The chances of finding a sponsor who risks tens of thousands of euros are likely to be slim. Sorry. 

 

 

Not really, sorry.

 

 

No, you can't, see above. In order to work in Germany (instead of studying) you would have to have a qualified profession, which is lacking here and pass the priority examination - for the job there must be neither Germans nor EU citizens available who can exercise it. 

 

Thanks, I have two years left to complete the course am studying here (medical laboratory science) 

Am currently in 400Level and it's a 5years course

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Augustus said:

Any hope for me or help? 

Can take up any job(day and night perhaps 

 

Exactly.   Work a lot and save shedload of money, while learning German alongside.  Then think about self-financing study as above.

 

Most migrants do not haave the luxury of a sponsor.   Background of those moving to improve prospects usually does not include such wealth.  But lots have sponsors, plural.  Groups of relatives and extended family all contributing a bit.    Someone local smoothing their path, perhaps sending money back, too.   That's how they make it possible.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, swimmer said:

 

Exactly.   Work a lot and save shedload of money, while learning German alongside.  Then think about self-financing study as above.

 

Most migrants do not haave the luxury of a sponsor.   Background of those moving to improve prospects usually does not include such wealth.  But lots have sponsors, plural.  Groups of relatives and extended family all contributing a bit.    Someone local smoothing their path, perhaps sending money back, too.   That's how they make it possible.

Alright, thanks so much 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

I am an American who studied in Berlin 4-5 years ago and had a freelance artist visa through 2017 (probably irrelevant). I now have a full-time job in Estonia and an Estonian and thus EU citizen wife. I have enough friends and contacts where finding employment on a freelance basis to start as well as housing in Berlin would not be too difficult (also probably irrelevant along with my decent Deutsch skills).

 

I would love to return to Berlin and reacquire that Visa and get back to work. Is there any advantage to having an EU wife even if it’s out of Germany? I thought I once heard that I get spotted a 5 year residence permit due to my marriage, but I’m not sure if that’s true. Would love any advice available.

 

Thanks

 

J

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, overlord_jake said:

Is there any advantage to having an EU wife even if it's out of Germany?

 

Would love any advice availabe?

 

Just don't show your wife this post! 

 

Trust me referring to your wife as an 'it' won't get you very far..:lol: 

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your wife moves to Germany, then you can come with her on a family/dependent visa.

 

But if she stays in Estonia, then you have no advantage.  Why should you?

Also, the German Finanzamt won't recognise your marriage for Tax purposes either if she does not live in Germany.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sir Percy B said:

 

Just don't show your wife this post! 

 

Trust me referring to your wife as an 'it' won't get you very far..:lol: 

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now