Moving to Berlin and my situation or question is unique

1,846 posts in this topic

Hi,

I just moved into my new Apartment in Berlin last weekend (in Prenzlauerberg) and have a few questions:

1. Any place that is confirmed to be selling Cheddar cheese? The real thing? (I love making nachos and cant find Cheddar)

2. Your favorite Burger place with the best tasting burgers?

3. Favorite general Restaurant? Reasonable price, good food, fun etc?

4. A cool date idea for when my GF returns in 2 weeks (it will be her birthday).

5. Whats with the dog Sh!$?? Dont they enforce a no-dog poo rule here? Also rarely see cops.

Thanks and any other general advice would be appreciated too.

Prohst!

Topics merged by admin

Oh almost forgot the most important question:

Is there a good website to locate restaurants in my area that deliver?

5. Whats with the dog Sh!$?? Dont they enforce a no-dog poo rule here? Also rarely see cops.

Do you want the German polizei to police the massive amount of dog shite on every street? :lol:

Hi,

I just moved into my new Apartment in Berlin last weekend (in Prenzlauerberg) and have a few questions:

Topics merged by admin

1. You can buy Kerrygold cheddar (slices) in Extra. Kaisers sometimes have cheddar, again sliced. Galeria in Alex has a packaged block of cheddar which is quite good. IMO the best place to buy cheddar is REAL. They have a large selection of cheese in general.

2. MarienBurger, Marienburger str. Not sure if they're the best tasting as I haven't tried many other places, but they're quite nice.

Frittiersalon F'hain is organic and has tasty burgers.

3. My favourite restaurant is Khushi. Their food is spicy: when they say it's hot, they mean it. I've found other Indian restaurants to err on the side of caution when it comes to scharf-ness.

With regards delivery service, you'll probably get lots of menus in your letterbox over the coming weeks... but you can also search for lieferservice in Google and you should get some answers.

Hi,

1. Any place that is confirmed to be selling Cheddar cheese? The real thing? (I love making nachos and cant find Cheddar)

2. Your favorite Burger place with the best tasting burgers?

3. Favorite general Restaurant? Reasonable price, good food, fun etc?

4. A cool date idea for when my GF returns in 2 weeks (it will be her birthday).

Thanks and any other general advice would be appreciated too.

Prohst!

Topics merged by admin

Do you want the German polizei to police the massive amount of dog shite on every street?

welcome to Prenzlberg, mate. can definitely recomend Maruzzella, the italian pizzeria in stargarder strasse and, if you want to taste a truly berliner schnitzel, osswald in raumer ecke gohrener...

don't really know about cheddar, but Kreuzburger @PappelAllee ecke raumer has decent burgers...

and finally, well, about your dog's shit, it might be that not to let him s*it and pi*s wherever he wants to is a matter of respect for everybody else living in the neighborhood instead of just a matter or being caught by the police... :huh:

I was walking down K-Dam yesterday afternoon and saw the most disgusting huge spread of dog shit right in the middle of the sidewalk. I was grossed out by this.

Police resources shouldn't be used for policing this as it would be virtually impossible to do, however, it should be removed as a consideration for others when you own a dog.

Cheddar for nachos...well, Galeria Kaufhof in Alexanderplatz sometimes has "Chilli Cheddar" with chunks of hot jalapeños in it. Other than that, they have a reasonable selection of British cheeses - Blue Stilton, White Stilton, Sage Derby, Wensleydale (IIRC) with cranberries and more besides.

The Chilli Cheddar blows your head off!

The two branches of "Broken English" have Cheddar as well.

http://www.brokenenglish.de/

In addition, there's another English shop in Neukölln.

'Your Piece of Britain' - British shop

Hi everyone! I'm new here and considering moving to Berlin in the summer. I'm just leaving university and so I'm looking for a city which is cheap and where I can start on any old job when I arrive but have the chance to apply for a 'proper' job after I'm settled - Berlin seems to offer all of this :)

One big question is on my mind though - how difficult is it to actually get an apartment? I've heard from a couple of people that there are usually many applications per advertisement. I'm looking for pretty much anywhere which is cheap, comes with a cooker and is close by bicycle to the city centre (and ideally under €400 warmmiete!).

So could I have difficulties or if I'm not too fussy am I bound to find a place within a week or two?

Thanks!

-Daniel

Hi. I'm moving to Berlin from South Germany. Can anyone tell me what is the best way to look for shared accommodation and which areas I should really be looking at? Also does anyone know if its possible to work in retail in Berlin with only minimal german?

Topics merged by admin

I have looked over this forum on information about Moving to Berlin and although it is very helpful I still seem to be feeling incredibly lost on how to actualy do it. I plan to move in June for a good few months if possible and I am trying to get my head around the process of doing it.

So I wonder if anyone can give some straight forward simple advice on the procedures and costs that I would have to deal with to actually get myself in a flat renting.

Steve

Topics merged by admin

With all the kindness I can muster, if you can't figure it out from all the information on the site then you might be as well staying where you are.

Organising the move is a giant pain in the ass that will cause you to sob with frustration and kick whatever inanimate objects are nearby. It's a fucking breeze in comparison to actually being in a new place and having to start a new life there, with a different language and culture, no friends, possibly no job in a crap economic climate, among a nation of people who are notorious for not actually being friendly at all.

why are you finding it so difficult? there's loads of info here, check the archive too. a) buy a flight, an open-ended return for, say, six months, in case you hate it. B) search the english-language accommodation agencies, you can easily take your pick from furnished or unfurnished flats, of whatever size, ranging from 300 to 1500 euros, depending on whether you are rich, poor or somewhere in between. c) move in.

If you want to go to bother of registering in the country, plenty of info on here about how to do it - though severa;l times I've lived in Berlin for six months at a time and haven't bothered! Health care - easy, you presumably have an EHIC card. Job? If you need one, think carefully before going to Berlin, especialy if your German is not good - basically the job market over there is a disaster. What else is there to think about? You can always head off somewhere else if it doesn't work out.

I was just wondering what people think. I have been here for a while, but it seems like when I first came here, everyone I knew made an effort to speak German (foreigners, I mean). Now I meet lots of foreigners who don't really make an effort. is there now a critical mass of english speakers here that it makes it unnecessary (in some people's eyes)?

Here's my take on that ... if you stay for longer than six months, then you absolutely have an obligation to learn the language. If not, then you're just dead weight, you might as well leave.

I mean, if you're going to stay in Germany, then you need to learn the language of Goethe and Schiller. It's a beautiful language and it's a worthwhile personal investment to do so. Is it a tough language? Yes. Is it worth it? Absolutely. How difficult is it? You can master it within a year if you work hard at it.

ouch. that is totally mean. but I am surprised how often I meet people who can't even order food. I think adults have trouble learning a language because they take it too seriously. they think they will sound stupid if they mess up. but guess what. everyone messes up, and you sound stupid if you DONT speak German.

I didn't mean for that to sound mean. I just think we have a cultural obligation to invest some intellectual capital in the country that has given us a visa so that we can call it ... at the very least ... our temporary home.

Germans are ready to accept our bad German with open arms. Fear of language is a personal and psychological problem that we all have. We need to get over it. I was just in Paris and ordered my meals with the most embarrassing French possible. I have never before been greeted with such receptiveness. Yes, the Germans will probably be rude to you ... but many are just socially inept -- it is nothing personal. In truth they respect you for making the effort. Based on my experiences ... the rudeness is a problem of Berlin and the East. People in Cologne, for example, are insanely friendly.

I totally agree, but somehow things got lax. I think it has to do with there being a large english speaking community here now. people just aren't forced to learn it.