Moving to Berlin and my situation or question is unique

1,848 posts in this topic

It is probably these people. The website is in German, but there is a a contact form you can fill out, or try info@fluechtlingspaten-syrien.de -- they probably will understand English

Their name suggests that their focus is exclusively on Syrian refugees.

http://fluechtlingspaten-syrien.de

Flüchtlingspaten Syrien e.V.
Paulstraße 19
10557 Berlin

Good luck!

Hello everyone,

My situation is kind of unique, I doubt that, but I am struggling to find this in the internet. I guess we really are 3% of the population. I am a non EU citizen (nor Swiss or Norwegian) and I hold a Blue Card. I have been with my partner for the past 7 years but we lived in a country where same sex relationships are not legally recognised in any way possible.

After I came to Berlin, we arranged for a marriage in Denmark, legal facilities and less life threatening documents required by the Danes. All went good until my (now legal) husband applied back again to our Country. It's been one month now and we haven't heard a thing. This is very frustrating because he is in a hiatus mode, not able to work, draining our savings and very stressed to the point of depression.

I have tried to call the Ausländerbehörde but they never seem to respond. Has anyone experienced this before? Normally they asked him in the embassy about "validating" our relationship and my Blue Card status makes a lot of the criteria met by default in the family reunification rules. So I am a little confused, will I be ever called for questioning? Is there any way possible to track this application? What is happening?

What did your husband apply for exactly? 

One thing I can tell you for certain anyway, there's not much use in phoning the Ausländerbehörde. If you want anything from them, including information, you're going to have to go there, preferably as early as possible before they open, and join the queue.

@cvm He applied for "Family Reunification" and I have had very pleasant interaction with my sector of the Asländerbehörde in the past. I have always emailed them and they reply me in 3 or 4 days usually. I know I am sector B (if I recall it right) and now my husband has to deal with sector E (if I recall it right).

Wow, ok, well either something's changed or you've found a caseworker who likes you :-) That seems to me to be unusually obliging of them. Have you had your Danish marriage officially recognised in Germany?

5 minutes ago, cvm said:

Wow, ok, well either something's changed or you've found a caseworker who likes you :-) That seems to me to be unusually obliging of them. Have you had your Danish marriage officially recognised in Germany?

There is no need for that as the certificate comes in German and it also holds the Apostille of the Danish Foreign Ministry. As explained to me by the Danish municipality if the German government refuses to recognise this document I should tell them so that they can open an international diplomatic sue smth smth.

Also, all documents are screened at the embassy and they all were already accepted. They told him that now we have to wait. But it is very awkward because I dare not buy something (5€) on Amazon and I get all the spam possible of where my package is. The total cost of the documents alone was 800€ (travel costs for going back and forth Europe is ... I believe around 900€) and I have no idea what is happening -.-

Well it sounds as if you might just have to keep waiting. You could try sending them another email. They're not known for doing anything in a hurry.

21 hours ago, larolaroshi said:

All went good until my (now legal) husband applied back again to our Country. It's been one month now and we haven't heard a thing. This is very frustrating because he is in a hiatus mode, not able to work, draining our savings and very stressed to the point of depression.

Where were you both born? What citizenships do you have?  Were either of you previously married? 

6 hours ago, engelchen said:

Where were you both born? What citizenships do you have?  Were either of you previously married? 

We were both born in a non EU country, hold non EU citizenship and no we were both single, no previous marriages.

Which non-EU countries? For example, Canadian documents are considered reliable, whereas documents from Kosovo are not and need to go through verification that can take months.

18 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Which non-EU countries? For example, Canadian documents are considered reliable, whereas documents from Kosovo are not and need to go through verification that can take months.

All the Documents are from Germany and Denmark. The only non EU document was my husbands passport which is Albanian.

Albanian documents should be alright. Did you also have to submit birth certificates?

When your husband applied at the Embassy,  he should have been given a reference number.  You can contact the Bundesverwaltungsamt  ( http://www.bva.bund.de/DE/Themen/Sicherheit/Visaangelegenheiten/visaangelegenheiten-node.html ) and ask them if all the documents have arrived in Germany. Although they can't give you specific information on the file, they can tell you which department is currently processing it.

13 minutes ago, engelchen said:

When your husband applied at the Embassy,  he should have been given a reference number.

Is this something that is always given? Nothing was said to him about this. He actually had a very hard time trying to explain to the person at the Embassy that me and him are not the same person, because they were not able to comprehend that two men can be married. So, in the end, he was happy they even took a look at his files (and then accepted).

1 hour ago, larolaroshi said:

Is this something that is always given?

He should have received something with a number on it.

He actually had a very hard time trying to explain to the person at the Embassy that me and him are not the same person, because they were not able to comprehend that two men can be married. 

Call the Auswärtiges Amt to complain : 

http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/DE/AAmt/Krisenreaktionszentrum/Buergerservice/Buergerservice_node.html .

I realise your husband was probably dealing will locally employed staff, however, if they can't be tolerant of practices that are completely legal and acceptable in Germany,  they should not be employed at the German Embassy. <_<

Hi all,

I moved to Germany 3 years ago and my German is still sub par at best, so I can totally relate to this issue.  Have you tried looking for jobs at international schools?  That is where I have had the most luck.  Also, I have connected with different families while living here (usually through work) and teach English on the side as well.  This is another good income option and offers a lot of flexibility.

I dont live in Berlin though, I live in Frankfurt, where I have heard the job market is better.

In the meantime though, I can offer you some fun things to do and see in Berlin.  During the midst of your job search, you still want to enjoy yourself and get to know the city a bit right?? :-) I discovered an AMAZING brunch place in my time here.  As well as other phenomenal restaurants, all of which are cheap and affordable. (I am a travel blogger and teacher, so I can relate to needing to save money and life cheaply ;-))

http://www.travelsandtrdelnik.com/2016/02/superb-weekend-in-berlin.html

http://www.travelsandtrdelnik.com/2015/08/berlin.html

Those are my two entries with details about Berlin, though I have traveled all over Germany as well.  So there is much to be found on my blog about other cool cities here in Germany too!

I wish you all the best in your job searches.  With warmest regards,

Brooke

HI, I am originally American (I hold an Irish/EU passport), and I have been living with my Irish husband in Dublin for the past 6 years.

We are both self employed, although I do not work much because of serious health problems. We arrived in Berlin about a month ago,

we have been staying in a sublet while trying to get our paperwork all together. We're finding navigating the order in which you have to do things

very confusing.

We cannot register, as we're staying in a sublet but it seems we cannot start looking for our own permanent address without registering,

opening a german bank account, and getting a schufa?

Also since we just moved here will our Schufa report even say anything? Or will it determine our dept records etc in Ireland?

Do both me and my husband need to apply for a Shufa or just one of us?

Also, when registering for health insurance they want to know our monthly income. Since we're freelance our monthly income varies widely.

Will printing out a year of our bank records and averaging them suffice?

We just don't know where to begin! Sorry if this has been discussed before, I did look for similar posts but found nothing about a freelance married couple.

Good evening, BAFritz! 

I´m not well versed in Schufa stuff but, as far as I  know, you need to have been in Germany for at least 6 months to appear on the radar somewhwere..but I may be wrong.

The health insurance issue: you say you do not work much because of health problems..if you can show your income (profit) is under 415 euros a month on average, you can apply for family insurance status on our husband´s policy . If not, you  BOTH need your own public insurance contract.  Maybe a print out of your bank records will work but be warned...if they are not satisfied, they will assume otherwise you earn a comfortable income as a self-employed and may ask up to over 700 euros a month per person for public health insurance.

Talk to them properly - by the way, they will want proof you both were publicly health insured in ireland and not privately...God help you if you can´t prove that ( they may require documentation from Ireland and maybe even a letter from your GP there ).

Another point: as freelancers, IF you don´t sort it out within 3 months of registering your presence in Germany, you cannot apply for so-called voluntary membership of public insurance and would need to go the private route. That MIGHT or MIGHT not be a good idea for your husband (depends on so many factors ) but outrageously bad for you.

You can, and indeed must, register while living in a sublet.  Either the landlord or the person you're letting from must sign a "Einzugsbestätigung des Wohngebers" for you. You'll find a copy of the form, and everythung else you need, here: https://service.berlin.de/dienstleistung/120686/

If the person you're renting from refuses to give you that form and/or won't give you the landlord's contact details, that's a pretty good indication that they're renting to you without the landlord's permission, which is illegal.  However, that is their problem, not yours.

You still need to register.  Officially you should do that within 14 days of arriving, although Berlin is overwhelmed so they simply require you to have made an appointment within 14 days, so do that NOW. Look on the page linked to above, top right corner, "termin Berlinweit suchen" - you'll probably have to look first thing in the morning and refresh a few times to get a free appointment, because that's when cancellations are loaded up. Take any appointment that comes up; you can always keep checking later to try to get an earlier cancellation, but it's really important that you have the appointment.

If you haven't been able to get a signed Einzugbestätigung by the time you go for your appointment, explain to the official that your landlord/Hauptmeiter has refused to sign. It's then up to the Amt to decide whether they'll pursue it.

5 minutes ago, john g. said:

Good evening, BAFritz! 

I´m not well versed in Schufa stuff but, as far as I  know, you need to have been in Germany for at least 6 months to appear on the radar somewhwere..but I may be wrong.

The health insurance issue: you say you do not work much because of health problems..if you can show your income (profit) is under 415 euros a month on average, you can apply for family insurance status on our husband´s policy . If not, you  BOTH need your own public insurance contract.  Maybe a print out of your bank records will work but be warned...if they are not satisfied, they will assume otherwise you earn a comfortable income as a self-employed and may ask up to over 700 euros a month per person for public health insurance.

Talk to them properly - by the way, they will want proof you both were publicly health insured in ireland and not privately...God help you if you can´t prove that ( they may require documentation from Ireland and maybe even a letter from your GP there ).

Another point: as freelancers, IF you don´t sort it out within 3 months of registering your presence in Germany, you cannot apply for so-called voluntary membership of public insurance and would need to go the private route. That MIGHT or MIGHT not be a good idea for your husband (depends on so many factors ) but outrageously bad for you.

My husband has private health insurance in Ireland through his parents that he can cancel at any time. I had public health insurance. What happens if he has private health insurance in Ireland? His parents are still covering him. Does that mean he needs to have private here?

When I originally went to sign up (at TK) I tried to just sign myself up, and leave my husband to decide if he wanted to remain on his parents plan, or possibly get his own private insurance. But the man who was registering me was adamant that they would be charging me a percentage of whatever our combined income was, so we figured there's no point in us not signing up together since we'll basically be paying for him too.

Also, what do you mean by talk to them properly? Additionally- they charge some people 700 a month per person for insurance?! We would have to move out of Germany if they did that to us.