Moving to Berlin and my situation or question is unique

1,846 posts in this topic

Ireland (and I presume others) allow you to hold two passports in certain circumstances. A common example would be a service engineer/contractor/whatever who must travel at relatively short notoce to many countries which require a visa in your passport. The company holds one passport and applies for your next visa to embassy x before fed-exing it to you and you fed-ex the one you have back to them.

The only reason I might still try for dual citizenship is because I was thinking of travelling in the Middle East after I leave Germany and had been told that if you re passport shows entry stamps into Israel they wont let you in Syria or Iran (and vice versa)

If this is the only reason, don't bother. When visiting Israel you can ask to have the stamp on a separate paper in your passport.

Hi y'all,

Here's my situation: 23-year old artist/illustrator, degree in Visual Communication, native English speaker, crappy French, no German.

Want to move to Berlin for a fresh start and to do my artwork- need a flat and a job to prop me up. Plan to get on a German course as soon as I get there, whatever happens.

Need some advice...

1 - How easy is it to find cafe/bar work? Impossible without some basic German? Any English-speaking places spring to mind? I have been trained and certified by the best baristas in the UK and currently work as a supervisor at one of the top espresso bars in the country. If that makes a difference. Also what do these kinds of jobs usually pay?

2 - Would I be better off doing a CELTA course and finding teaching work? Again, is this possible without basic German?

All I want from a job is money to get by, really, but I just need to know which is more likely to work out in the long run, in some ways a cafe job would be perfect = less responsibility, but I guess I need to know either way I'll stand a good chance of getting some work.

I have read the topics on which neighbourhoods to live in, and on previous visits I've stayed in Moabit (grim) and Kreuzberg near Schlesische Str. which was cool but are there better parts of Kreuzberg? Schonenberg might be good for me too. I need somewhere cheap-ish, artsy, alternative, lively, a few good cafes and bars, not too provincial. Any thoughts?

Also, if anyone knows about what its like trying to get involved in the art scene, meet people and get your work out in Berlin I'd love to hear your experiences.

Cheers in advance!

Peace

Topics merged by admin

From my experience, it's really difficult to find a job if you don't speak German (in Munich at least). Unless you've been headhunted by an international company, you will need German even for jobs at coffee shops. You could try Irish bars at the very least. Good luck as you're gonna need it!

Hello folks, I am working on moving from the UK to Berlin hopefully before the end of the year..But I have been wondering for a while about what time would be the best to be moving.

I guess there might be a lot of people moving to Berlin around September / October (students etc). So maybe there is a lot of demand for flats around that time, and I might be competing (using my very ropey German) with too many other flat-seekers..(but not sure if I am right about this though..)

Any idea if it would be a better idea to wait until end of October or November? (In case there are basically more flats available on the market at that time, and less people looking for them..)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

As STB says, you will have no problem finding appropriate accommodation at any time of the year.

On reading this thread it struck me how times have changed in Berlin. Back in the pre 89 days and in the early 90s finding an apartment was the biggest headache in Berlin. About the only place you could easily find something cheap was in the newly opened eastern part. You were always being quizzed by people - germans as well as expats how you managed to get your apartment "und wie hast du die Wohnung bekommen???" as if there must be some funny business involved. I was asked that question so many times especially by eastern Berliners, who were presumably unused to the idea that you could actually go out and choose and rent an apartment for yourself. Ah connections - Vitamin B, (Beziehungen), Schmiergeld, an IM, I knew, etc etc.

Actually I think finding a decent job in Berlin was the biggest headache - probably still is, but tracking down decent affordable housing came a close second.

Ok, good good, thank for the replies.

Well, job-wise I haven't got anything lined up at the moment. I am basically a musician, but hopefully I will be able to find some sort of part-time work eventually once I am in Berlin to help paying the rent etc..(although I hear finding work is fairly tricky..)

Cheers :)

Berlin is awash with empty properties. You are worrying too much.

Didn't realise that you were looking too... ;)

To find a nice place in a hip area like Friedrichshain becomes more difficult around March/April. Arriving in the middle of winter is a better bet.

Hi there - my partner and I currently live in Edinburgh, Scotland but are considering a move to Berlin. We are coming to the city on 29 September for a week to really get more of a feel for the place as well as looking into the property situation. We are both professional sorts but we like the relaxed, easy going lifestyle Berlin has to offer. If anyone could recommend any good bars for stylish nights out as well as the more low-key live music type venue that would be great. Also, any non smoking venue tips would be most appreciated.

We're looking to live in Charlottenburg, Prenzlauer Berg or Zehlendorf dependent on sales here in the UK so venues around those places would be great. Also, would be great to meet any existing ex-pats while we're over for a drink or two as our contacts are limited.

On another note - I am studying photography on the side and am looking to goto Marzahn to take pics - I assume this is perfectly safe as you read all sorts of things -:)

Thank you very much...

Ax

Also, any non smoking venue tips would be most appreciated.

Have you read any previous threads on this website at all?

Living wise, i'd recommend the site www.wg-gesucht.de, you can search for all types of rooms/apartments etc there. From what I've heard it can take a little bit of time to get a good apartment if you're only looking in certain areas but getting a short term place is fairly easy. Most people I talked to moved here and got a months short term furnished rent whilst looking for a place. Prenzlauer Berg is a great place to live but a little more expensive.

Bar wise, check Kastanienalle/oderberger strasse in Prenzlauer Berg or Simon-Dach-Strasse in Frierichshain, they're both pretty cool areas full of places although for non-smoking you may be out of luck, I certainly don't remember seeing any :) A lot of people like Kreuzberg for a night out too but its not to my tastes so I couldn't recommend anywhere.

Best bet though would be to turn up to the Thursday Night drinks event when you're here, you'll get lots of tips n help there.

Topics merged by admin

Hi

Have been reading around on this forum as I am thinking of moving to Berlin, but a little afraid of the long cold grey winters I have heard of. Is it really that cold and for how long? Barcelona is surprisingly cold in winter (hats gloves) and there is no heating in the flats, sometimes it feels warmer in London in the winter so might not be much of a change. Worse than the cold is that it would be grey all the time. Snow is no problem just grey is. Any Brits who can comment on that?

Anyway what are the pros and cons of living in Berlin??? Are German people friendly and nice? I have a German friend here who is pretty nice but a little blunt sometimes. Is that a typical German trait? I am 35 single female so is it easy to meet people and hook up? Not really into clubbing much these days, more good food or pub culture, so would Berlin be the wrong city for me, if I don't want pumping techno all night? I don't speak German but have learnt Spanish and not too worried about learning a new language. But obviously zero German would be a problem at the start. Also I will be coming with my well behaved dog.

Any insights or revelations would be really really helpful - things that you can't explain or know about when you are just visiting a city. i.e. the foreign community in Barcelona generally refer to Catalans as twatalans, just because. What drives you crazy about Berlin? What makes you love it and want to stay? What is the general consensus about German people? Is there a good English speaking foreign network to meet up with?

Anything and I mean anything would be helpful. Lastly is the standard of living pretty good? I read taxes were really high and you need private medical insurance which probably offsets the advantage of low rents? Also read some people on the forum don't seem to like Berlin much. Why?

Anyway thanks in advance for any info. Roasting and noisy here in Barcelona.

Hey Cherrie,

I'm from Budapest so I could write a book about long, cold and aweful winters, I don't think that it's so bad in Berlin, I just moved back from London because I could not stand the weather there (always raining and u r stuck in a pub). Anyway, I moved back because I like Berlin's relaxing atmosphere, I think people are very nice, there's a lot to do, culture, exhibitions, parties of course (not just techno, u can find everything u like), pubs and cafes especially in the East (I'd suggest Prenzlauerberg and Friedrichshain) where young people live, there are parks everywhere for dogs and BBq's etc. There are pretty good schools for beginners too, German is not my favourite language but anyone can learn it. The standard of living is good, I think it's a very cheap city in compar to any other capitals.

Any questions just ask. :)

Rita

Why do you want to move to Berlin? And what about a short vacation trip to Berlin (about two weeks) in winter - I guess this will be a better answer then ours...

You want to move from a charming sophisticated city like Barcelona, with a sunny warm climate, great food, mountains and beaches on your doorstep to somewhere like Berlin?!

I lived in Berlin for several years in the 90s. Yes its cold in the winter, though not as cold as eg Warsaw or Budapest or other eastern locations, its still much colder than London. It was more than cold enough for me and the winter seems to last a long time, practically from like November through until April. Has an effect on the psyche of the place and the people. But come the spring and summer it all changes, life moves outdoors.

As someone else mentioned, living costs are cheap. Its a lively place. Very sprawling and spread out. Also has a surprising amount of nature there - forests, lakes, even sandy beaches at some of the lakes.

As long as you can cope with the drawbacks - german attitude to food, (but there are plenty of non-german restaurants to be found), plus the extreme winters, plus the relatively poor economy and job market, plus the rather abrasive nature of the native locals (called "Berliner Schnauze") you might enjoy Berlin.