Moving to Berlin and my situation or question is unique

1,846 posts in this topic

Hallo!

My friend and I are moving to Berlin in July and would just like a few tips of how to get started there!

We are currenly searching for flats and flat shares at the moment but would like to know the average price we should be paying, just in care we're paying over the odds!

We're also looking for jobs there as well but I since we don't speak much german, will there be a limitation!? Also would we get taxed stupid amounts of money?

Is it relatively easy to set up a bank account there as using our british debit cards, we get charged quite a fair bit!?

I know we have to register with the local police within 7 days of arriving but is there anything else at all of that nature we would have to do?

One last thing! How easy is it to register with dentists and doctors etc, do you need some sort of certificate from your current british doctor?

I'm sure i'll end up thinking of something else to ask, i'm just frightened i'll end up forgetting something! Its scary stuff, this moving to another country malarky! :unsure:

Cheers!

Topics merged by admin

I know we have to register with the local police within 7 days of arriving but is there anything else at all of that nature we would have to do?

Before others suggest that you use the search function ... I will :)

And - you dont register with the police - they dont want to see you. You register your residence with the Einwohnermeldeamt.

But you will find this all herein...

you people pay waaaay too much for language courses, 350 a month, holy shit.

although i dont have the info offhand, they have one euro a class courses that are mostly full of old turkish ladies but the foreigner office can give you info about this.

Hi

just want to know if anyone can give me the heads up about a few things. Im planning to move to Berlin this August, going to be doing a CELTA course there so i can teach english. (I've been teaching english for about 6 years off and on and for five of those I have been living in Japan, so I am fine with the experience, i just know back in europe you need it for the bigger schools)

Soooo, couple of things that it would be great to know about. Firstly, im going to be finishing this course mid september, are schools hiring around then and which are the best ones to aim form? any advice on who to approuch and how to go about it would be great.

Secondly, how easy is it to get by on teachers wages? I am back in London now and its just ridiculous, like impossible. I know that loads of teachers complain about crappy money etc etc plus german taxes but realistically compared to London what would it be like? surely its got to be better.

Thirdly, in terms of living, where is the best place do you think? I would like to be somewhere laid back, alternative, affordable with cool bars and cafes etc etc but not too dirty and dangerous. (am i dreaming?) Dodgy I can handle, I am used to living in brixton in London, but seriously dangerous is a different matter. basically i like clubs, parties, bars, live gigs etc especially the more underground or alternative stuff but dont go out as much as i used to being 31 now and so like a few nice cafe bars around to chill out in and more laid back arty type events to go and see instead of going out on mad ones all the time.

one other thing is he language, im in the process of learning german now and i am used to arriving in a place with zero language skills and picking it up as I go, Im just wondering how easy it is to kind of integrate into Berlin life and actually be speaking the language. In Japan it doesnt matter how well you speak it you can never really integrate and you end up mainly hanging out with foreigners (and japanese girls who like foreigners) and speaking english. Is it the same in berlin or is it easier to make german friends?

anyway, thats a lot of questions, but any help would be great.

Topics merged by admin

hey there

we had a similar conversation a while back - I'm being lazy so here is the link:

TEFL

As for living somewhere try checking out the boroughs of Friedrichshain and Prenzlauer Berg they are in the alternative east Berlin part of town.

You can find about 2500 links in English language concerning daily live, insurance, finding a flat... in Berlin in the BCN-LINKLIST on my web page: www.TheBusinessClass.Net

If there is something missing, please let me know and we’ll add it to the list.

Hey guys and girls,

I have recently decided to move out to Berlin for a while and see if it's a good place to make my potential new home. I don't know any of the German language or have any friends in the area, but I do however really need a fresh change of scenery and a little bit of excitement in my life.

I currently work for some independent record labels and music publishing companies (Web Design, Graphics, Marketing etc) in the UK and I hope to keep these clients once i have made the move, all i need is a fast internet connection and my PC. Ideally I would like to work for companies in Berlin as I guess this would be the easiest way to meet new people. I'm a friendly, fun loving, easy going guy and hopefully the language barrier wont be too much of a problem.

Can anyone give me some advice on the initial move over, meeting new people, coping with language barriers, finding work etc... any advice would be greatfully received.

Thanks.

C.

Topics merged by admin

Hi drone

i live in prenzl' berg and also listen to alternative so if you want to meet up it can be arranged. I moved here from portsmouth 9 months ago.

Hi everyone. I've just moved here from Ireland.

To introduce myself, I'm a graphic designer. I've just spent the last 6 years after university working in a couple of agencies in Dublin. Great experience, but I'm a bit burned out. (Hands up who likes working 60 hour weeks??) So I've decided to move over here for a few of reasons: 1. I'd like to have some time to myself to figure out how I can be more creative; 2. I want to have a better pace of life! 3. I love the city and the people.

I'm a bit worried that although I've got some cash, I'm not going to be working straight away (I need to sort some stuff out with my portfolio mainly)... Am I going to find it hard to get an apartment? I have a few questions, sorry if they've already been asked...

Registering

Where and how do I go about this? I've found some really great articles on Toytown, however berlin.de is down and I can't figure out meldeaemter.de - none of the links work. Well, they should be links, but they're not :( Basically - where, oh where, do I need to go - and what should I bring? I'm staying in Prenzlauer Berg for the next 2 weeks, until I find something more permanent.

Opening a bank account

I'm house hunting at the mo, and after reading the advice here, I feel I need to have a bank account yesterday! Is it as easy as calling into a bank with my passport? If so, which bank - and what's the deal about the bank charges? (Banking in Ireland is incredibly competitive and there are no charges for just having a current account. I don't need a credit card, I have one from Ireland that should be sufficient for now. I can also do international bank transfers, online, with my Irish account.)

Mobile phone networks

Which is the best one? From what I've seen O2 seem to be the cheapest, but waaayyyy more expensive than in Ireland! Any advice here? I need to get a handy too as my Irish one is locked and won't accept a German sim.

DSL / internet

What's the best way to go about this once I've found an apartment? Who are the best provider? I really, really, really need to have internet access!

I'd really appreciate some advice! Thanks for reading.

Lou (Long time lurker, first time poster, please be gentle!)

Hi everyone. I've just moved here from Ireland.

To introduce myself, I'm a graphic designer. I've just spent the last 6 years after university working in a couple of agencies in Dublin. Great experience, but I'm a bit burned out. (Hands up who likes working 60 hour weeks??) So I've decided to move over here for a few of reasons: 1. I'd like to have some time to myself to figure out how I can be more creative; 2. I want to have a better pace of life! 3. I love the city and the people.

I'm a bit worried that although I've got some cash, I'm not going to be working straight away (I need to sort some stuff out with my portfolio mainly)... Am I going to find it hard to get an apartment? I have a few questions, sorry if they've already been asked...

Registering

Where and how do I go about this? I've found some really great articles on Toytown, however berlin.de is down and I can't figure out meldeaemter.de - none of the links work. Well, they should be links, but they're not :( Basically - where, oh where, do I need to go - and what should I bring? I'm staying in Prenzlauer Berg for the next 2 weeks, until I find something more permanent.

go to the closest Bürgeramt - it doesn´t have to be the one in Prenzlauer Berg though - you have to fill out a form there - which you can also download from their website. you need your passport and you have to state from what you´re living (freelance, student, job seeker etc) - but all in all - quite easy - maybe its good to take a German along with you - don´t count that the staff will speak English

Opening a bank account

I'm house hunting at the mo, and after reading the advice here, I feel I need to have a bank account yesterday! Is it as easy as calling into a bank with my passport? If so, which bank - and what's the deal about the bank charges? (Banking in Ireland is incredibly competitive and there are no charges for just having a current account. I don't need a credit card, I have one from Ireland that should be sufficient for now. I can also do international bank transfers, online, with my Irish account.)

once you have your registration - no problem. You need this registration + your passport - they´ll check your credit history (Schufa), but that´s it - at least for the Sparkasse, but I doubt that this is any different for other banks.

Mobile phone networks

Which is the best one? From what I've seen O2 seem to be the cheapest, but waaayyyy more expensive than in Ireland! Any advice here? I need to get a handy too as my Irish one is locked and won't accept a German sim.

DSL / internet

What's the best way to go about this once I've found an apartment? Who are the best provider? I really, really, really need to have internet access!

best is to get a flatrate for both of them (mobile + internet) together. problem is that most providers require a minmal contract time of 24 months - an exceptions is Alice (Telekom);

if you don´t mind longer contracts - quite cheap option: freenet

cheers and welcome in Berlin

Also some info here: http://www.berlinfo.com/Worktime/Authoriti...arted/index.htm

For the bank left_sky is right. I have my account with the postbank and i'm pretty happy with them. The charge for having the account is 6 Euro per annum. So pretty cheap.

For the DSL/ internet I'm using Deutsche Telekom and pay 55 Euros monthly for the unlimited internet line and the land line. All the calls within Berlin are free of charge.

hi,

i've recently got set up here in berlin, so have just been thorugh all these things.

bank - if your younger than 27 (maybe 26) you can get a free account. i found a little brochure at the postbank, you get an EC card (debit card/cash card), internet banking, and an account, and its free. seems fine to me, you can withdraw from any of the cash group banks.

internet - just got alice, flat rate lite or something, 26€ a month including phone connection.

anmeldung/registering - not too sure, i just went to my local Rathaus and took my passport. had to wait a long time (like 2 hours, but cos it was a take a number system, i just went shopping). the form is in german, my german's not great but i understood it, either that or you can take a friend. you then have a quick chat with someone, and it was really easy (though i'm from UK, might make it easier).

Hey, Im 18, finnishing my A level course in England, studying Fine Art, Politics and English Literature.

I want to study Fine Art in Glasgow but first i'd like to take a gap year and move to Berlin for about 8 months. I love Berlin's Art, it's architecture and its history. Ive been to Germany a few times but only studied German for 2 years at school. I want a life changing experience, just to be able to say i did something in my life and to give me inspiration with my art work which im sure i can get from this city. However...

I need to know the basics really, in black and white;

What i need to do to be able to legally move to, live and work in Berlin.

Can anyone just move over there or do i need to be able to contribute something... my CV consist of high school, sixthform and a part time job at M&S haha

How am I going to get a job in Berlin? and truthfully...will that job be meat packing in a factory?

am i right for embracing such an opportunity or am i just stupid...is this plan a possibility at all. I'd like to think in this modern world i can go wherever the hell i like!

All comments, and help would be greatly appreciated.

Felix

... What i need to do to be able to legally move to, live and work in Berlin ...

EU citizens like you are free to move to Berlin (and the rest of the EU) ... and do what suits them

Thanks everyone, all of your advice was great! I've now got an apartment, got registered and opened a bank account. (It's been a pretty hectic 48 hours!) All that remains is to set up internet and get a handy. Phew! That's first on my list for tomorrow.

When I registered today, I was really surprised to find that I didn't have to wait for long at all. It was much more painless than I was expecting. Yay! (Maybe it's really busy on the late days of Tuesday and Thursday?) To be honest, I was a bit freaked out by the forms (or rather examples of said form that I found online) but when I went in, the lady that was dealing with me took most of the required info from my passport and rental agreement and only had to ask me a couple of (easy to understand) questions. They also had a version of the form in english so that you could check that everything that she typed in was correct! Woo hoo. I'm on the system now, is Big Brother watching me?? :) Sorry, just not used to it...

The one stumbling block that I encountered in both the registration place and the bank was that, as an Irish citizen, on my passport everything is written in Irish and then English - but it was easy enough to explain!

So thanks again for all of the advice, I really appreciate it!

Hi someone mentined you need proof of funds to support yourself when you have to deal with all this paperwork. Is that still true for us Brits? a little bit worried as when I arrive won't have too much but will have a place to stay, a job on the way (hopefully) and will be awaiting my last couple of pay checks and tax return from Oz. If it is needed what sort of amount do I need to throw into my account?

woohoo my first post! :P

one thing i can't find out about the registration process, do you register AFTER you've found a flat to live in or as soon as you arrive in the country intending to stay indefinitely? (I'm an EU citizen).. eg what do you do about registering if you're staying at a guesthouse for a few weeks while you look for a flat? seems it's german law that you have to register within 7 days of arrival or something?

In regards to the question about getting a residence permit without a job- is this possible for non-EU? My boyfriend and I are moving to Berlin but we both work online with jobs in the US. I'm going to school, but he's not. The US embassy site only lists two options for visa - work and study. He doesn't fit into either of those categories. Any ideas or experience with this?

Okay so when I get to Germany I have to prove I have enough cash to support myself til I get settled. Does anyone know how much this is and whether I can scrape by with a little less if I have prove of employment (fingers crossed I get a job) ?

woohoo my first post!

one thing i can't find out about the registration process, do you register AFTER you've found a flat to live in or as soon as you arrive in the country intending to stay indefinitely? (I'm an EU citizen).. eg what do you do about registering if you're staying at a guesthouse for a few weeks while you look for a flat? seems it's german law that you have to register within 7 days of arrival or something?

You have to register when you get there but you can use the address of the guesthouse if they're willing to sign the paperwork for you. one address is as good as another- it's just a formality really