Occupy Wall Street Movement

401 posts in this topic

You're absolutely right, Wobinidan. What is needed therefore is a modern day Lysistrata movement. No more crazy pussy for those Wall St. wankers!

I've seen the protesters on TV several times. However, I'm yet to hear about any accomplishments of this movement in terms of progress in changing the status quo.

Hi- Are there any fellow Americans out there interested in going to the American Embassy sometime this week or next week

State Department. Brilliant backdrop. Here's an idea... currently there are about 20 European investment banks on the brink of systemic failure. Why not use one of them? Because if you live and work in Germanny the government is going to sodomize you to fund the Eurogeddon banks bailout.

The US government should (in theory) be responsible for regulating the banks, if they had done so four years ago, we may not be in the situation we're in now. Therefore, protesting outside the US embassy, as it is the only government building outside the US, is valid.

If the Basel Accords hadn't told banks everywhere they could treat sovereign debt like gold-plated, bulletproof investments we probably wouldn't be in this predicament either. Something to think about.

As Jon Stewart put it (paraphrased), the demonstrators haven't left yet, so the media flipped the switch from "Ignore" to "Circus". Unfortunately, those are the only two settings on the switch.

Watch it here.

Give it a few weeks, for crying out loud. The protests are growing in the US. You think new legislation would be in place by now?

We know the protesters are having an effect, because the news organizations are now all out trying to ridicule and discredit them, instead of just ignoring them like they were doing a couple of weeks ago.

Of course, I don't think new legislation would be in place by now.

Here's the thing. The financial crisis in the US didn't recently start. It's been brewing over the last 30 years. Now it's reached a fever pinch the youth are taking to the streets. But what exactly is their platform? What change do they want to affect? Is their methodology the most effective?

Why aren't they protesting in front of the White House or other government agencies?

The news media I've seen have been showing them being arrested, marching with signs, and highlighting just how inarticulate and inconsistent they are in their message about their activism.

Right. The prostesters' message is inconsistent, while the solutions from the government have been entirely coherent and effective.

You didn't watch El Jeffo's Daily Show video, did you?

Warm bodies on the street marching and protesting is enough to be effective, without some kind of 10-point document of demands.

They're not picketing DC, because they'd be cleared out of there on trumped-up "national security concerns" after a day or two.

What about bed-in protests? Any of those happening? I just bought some new pajamas.

Ah, the good old days, Babycakes...John and Yoko...sighs...showing his age... :)

What's the matter Keydeck? Do you somehow feel that because you're busy on your hamster wheel, everyone else should be the same pacified drones with their thumbs up their bums and their brains in neutral.

You are so dangerously individual...

I watched the Oscar winning documentary, "Inside Job", last night.

THAT is what all the discontent is about.

Very informative without blaming any particular political party.

Ah, the good old days, Babycakes...John and Yoko...sighs...showing his age...

Yes John, always wanted to try it. It looks a lot of fun. Is it necessary to invite the media, I wonder. Maybe it could be webcasted. Sigh, I'm just an amateur. :D

I've seen the protesters on TV several times. However, I'm yet to hear about any accomplishments of this movement in terms of progress in changing the status quo.

Well they are certainly starting to piss off the locals and they seem to be having quite a negative effect on local businesses who of course we all know are true enemies of the people.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/08/nyregion/occupy-wall-street-begins-to-chafe-its-neighbors.html

"Great Unwashed" indeed.

Seriously, I thought someone would have posted this by now. We attended the Occupy Indy march today. I got some video too. There were about 1000 people that showed up. Young, old like us, in between...some even handicapped. Here is their declaration.

“As we gather together in solidarity to express a feeling of mass injustice we must not lose sight of what brought us together. We write so that all people who feel wronged by the corporate forces of the world can know that we are your allies. As one people, united, we acknowledge the reality that the future of the human race requires the cooperation of its members. That our system must protect our rights, and upon corruption of that system, it is up to the individuals to protect their own rights, and those of their neighbors. That a democratic government derives its just power from the people, but corporations do not seek consent to extract wealth from the people, and the Earth, and that no true democracy is attainable when the process is determined by economic power.

We come to you at a time when corporations — which place profit over people, self-interest over justice, and oppression over equality — run our governments. We have peaceably assembled here as is our right to let these facts be known.

They have taken our houses through an illegal foreclosure process, despite not having the original mortgage.

They have taken bailouts from taxpayers with impunity, and continue to give executives exorbitant bonuses.

They have perpetuated inequality and discrimination in workplaces based on age, the color of one’s skin, sex, gender identity, and sexual orientation.

They have poisoned the food supply through negligence, and undermined the farming system through monopolization.

They have profited off the torture, confinement, and cruel treatment of countless animals, and actively hide these practices.

They have continuously sought to strip employees of the right to negotiate for better pay and safer working conditions.

They have held students hostage with tens of thousands of dollars of debt on education, which is, itself, a human right.

They have consistently outsourced labor and used that outsourcing as leverage to cut worker’s health care and pay.

They have influenced the courts to achieve the same rights as people with none of the culpability or responsibility.

They have spent millions of dollars on legal teams, but look for ways to get them out of contracts in regards to health insurance.

They have sold our privacy as a commodity.

They have used the military and police force to prevent freedom of the press.

They have deliberately declined to recall faulty products, endangering lives in pursuit of profit.

They determine economic policy despite the catastrophic failures their policies have produced and continue to produce.

They have donated large sums of money to politicians, who are responsible for regulating them.

They continue to block alternate forms of energy to keep us dependent on oil.

They continue to block generic forms of medicine that could save people’s lives, or provide relief in order to protect investments that have already turned a substantial profit.

They have purposely covered up oil spills, accidents, faulty bookkeeping, and inactive ingredients in pursuit of profit.

They purposefully kept people misinformed and fearful through their control of the media.

They have accepted private contracts to murder prisoners, even when presented with serious doubts about their guilt.

They have perpetuated colonialism at home and abroad.

They have participated in the torture and murder of innocent civilians overseas.

They continue to create weapons of mass destruction in order to receive government contracts.

To the people of the world, We, the New York City general assembly occupying Wall Street in Liberty Square, urge you to assert your power.

Exercise your right to peaceably assemble, occupy public space, create a process to address the problems we face, and generate solutions accessible to everyone.

To all communities that take action and form groups in the spirit of direct democracy, we offer support, documentation, and all of the resources at our disposal.

Join us and make your voices heard.”

Worldwide map of Occupy Together Meetups. On Thursday there were 400 cities, today/now...1120 cities. This has gone viral.

This topic needs to be moved.

It might be useful to hold an OWS protest at Deutsche Bank in Frankfurt, but it would not get traction with the Germans IMHO.

The message of OWS is too broad and pretty incoherent, but it is a good start. OWS and the Tea Party seem to be two sides of the same coin, i.e. fed up with corruption.

I'm starting to warm up to Jon Stewart, but find it unfortunate that political ideas need to be communicated under the pretense of comedy as ironic or snide remarks.

That's quite a list of grievances, evocative of Luther's 99 theses nailed to the church door. It feels a bit ironic that a major figure of technological progress has just passed at a time when a lack of social progress, or indeed regression, is finally being acknowledged by groups of people from all kinds of backgrounds in one of the countries of the developed West.

I watched the Oscar winning documentary, "Inside Job", last night.

THAT is what all the discontent is about.

Very informative without blaming any particular political party.

Thanks for mentioning the film. I just watched it online (http://vimeo.com/25142692) and found it a real eye-opener.

The irony of this misguided photo is the various items are paid for by the citizens, but are made by multinational corporations some that pay little or no taxes.

post-14005-13181628743134_thumb.jpg

Yes, and that people who work for the corporations actually make and sell the goddamn products.