Occupy Wall Street Movement

401 posts in this topic

What does the American Embassy have to do with large banks, Wall Street, or Coca Cola? Just curious.

The US government should (in theory) be responsible for regulating the banks, if they had done so four years ago, we may not be in the situation we're in now. Therefore, protesting outside the US embassy, as it is the only government building outside the US, is valid.

I appreciate your passion and enthusiasm for the cause, but a protest here would achieve nothing really, as someone pointed out this is very much an American movement trying to portray itself as a global movement and it just isn't.

Plus, while I value free speech and the right to protest, there are more than enough people in Berlin who excerise these rights far too often, if you do go ahead with this could I politely request you do it on a Sunday?

It's just it's getting to be annoying that busy, central streets are frequently closed while people gather for "more rights for football fans" (not even joking on that one) and such every few days. Even yesterday, a whole stretch of Mitte was intermittently closed, fair enough the protest in this case was a worthy one, in support of underpaid nurses.. but buses, trams, trucks and even pedestrians were blocked while going about their business. It must cost the city millions in police (of which there were large numbers) and even more in disruption of infrastructure. Now, I accept the idea is to gain attention, but nobody seems to listen when protests are hugely disruptive anyway, so why not just do it in a public park?

Protest by all means, but disrupting the average person on the street is not going to win any cause much support.

That said, I wish you well.

but nobody seems to listen when protests are hugely disruptive anyway, so why not just do it in a public park?

Do you even know where the US embassy in Berlin is?

as someone pointed out this is very much an American movement trying to portray itself as a global movement and it just isn't.

Well done for regurgitating what someone already said. This is a movement with an American base that has global relevance, I suggest that before you start whinging about the inconvenience of having a few roads blocked for a couple of hours, you take a closer look at how these fucking people (bankers) are responsible for jepordising the livelihoods of billions of people, and yet still receive massive bonuses, even from wholly or partly nationalised banks which were bailed out with taxpayers money.

Well done for regurgitating what someone already said. This is a movement with an American base that has global relevance, I suggest that before you start whinging about the inconvenience of having a few roads blocked for a couple of hours, you take a closer look at how these fucking people (bankers) are responsible for jepordising the livelihoods of billions of people, and yet still receive massive bonuses, even from wholly or partly nationalised banks which were bailed out with taxpayers money.

I used to live and work in London - as a motorcycle courier - for my sins - it seemed like every weekend someone would protest about something.

Many of the causes I actually agreed with - but every weekend to be dodging round protests really hit my wallet, and the wallets of others trying to earn a living -

Even though you may have a good cause and you obviously have the right to demonstate, for you it's just once but spare a thought for the people that have to endure these "good causes" every weekend

There is a meet in Mauerpark on Sunday.

It appears to be a Preparation for a Demonstation on the 15th October Which is a date planned for worldwide Protests related to the "Occupy Wall Street/ Occupy together" movement.

I'll be checking it out.

Here's some info

Warm Up @ Mauerpark: info

Mauer Park Warm Up for Oct. 15

http://15october.net/

The actual Oct 15th planned March looks to be from Alex to Brandenburger Tor so will allow you to do your piece outside the US Embassy.

All the Best.

We are the 99%

From the link -

People of the world, rise up on October 15th!

Surely the world extends outside of Berlin. Will anything be happening in Munich?

As someone who attended the anti-capitalist protests in the early years of the last decade, and gave up because of the violence and incoherence of that movement, I'd like to say that OWS is already doing a much better job than we ever seemed to. It would be great to see a truly peaceful, informed movement take a stand against this love-in between corporations and government.

It also might not hurt trying to reason with the Wall St. folks. I'm reminded of what Sarah Silverman once said about the Pope and the Vatican. If these people would share some of their wealth to solve the problem of world hunger, they'd get "crazy pussy."

What about bed-in protests? Any of those happening? I just bought some new pajamas.

h.i.l.a.r.i.o.u.s. :lol:

It also might not hurt trying to reason with the Wall St. folks. I'm reminded of what Sarah Silverman once said about the Pope and the Vatican. If these people would share some of their wealth to solve the problem of world hunger, they'd get "crazy pussy."

1: I don't think the Catholic church is particularly into pussy

2: I think Wall St has plenty of the stuff required to get into a girls pants (hint: I don't mean charm)