Car rental in USA - price comparison

38 posts in this topic

I haven't rented in a while but it was always a better deal here with better rates and insurance included. Of course, they tried to sell me their insurance over there as well but I didn't fall for it.

I just booked a mid-size wagon (Hyundai Sonata oder ähnlich) for 15 days over opodo just now for 354.34€. No hassles. Just thought I would ask here (but I fly in 20 hours to my mom's funeral :( ).

Make sure you have a couple of dollars ready to hand for the toll road (tunnel?) on the way out of the airport.

At least it was that way the few times I was in Boston.

ADAC (my favourite) would ask for 470€ for the same vehicle, but that includes full insurance (no excess/deductible) and an additional driver. It's often the local insurance add-ons, especially reducing or removing the deductible, which I think is very important, that can hit you hard.

EDIT - it seems Opodo rent via www.rentalcars.com (it probably belongs to them anyway) and they have a zero excess, which makes the price very competitive. They do, however exclude tyres, windscreens and underside from full cover.

Right, Opodo is now using www.rentalcars.com.

Hem, I grew up in New England. If you head straight to Route 1, there are no tolls until you hit New Hampshire. The mistake many make is heading through the tunnel. I leave Logan for Maine (Route 1 to 95 and head North). A well-worn route.

fraufruit, thanks so much. Can't wait to get back here.

+1 for ADAC. In my experience their price is a little higher but you know you have all the insurance and the extra driver included with no hassle. Irritating that they dont take amex though. Autoeurope are pretty good for all inclusive prices too.

Regarding the GPS depending on your length of stay I would recommend looking online for the nearest Bestbuy, Target, Walmart etc and buying one there. If you are staying for more than about a week its probably cheaper AND you can either use it again on your next visit or sell it on Ebay when you get home.

Or look on ebay for a US GPS before your trip, buy it here and take it in your hand luggage.

I bought one for 85 euro and I have had no end of use from it.

go straight to Budget Rent-a-Car using Costco code W852802.

Budget welcomes Costco members! To secure these special rates, you'll need to present your Costco membership card when picking up your vehicle.

I doubt many TT members are Costco members, so that's not very good advice.

Maybe things have changed in three years. Or, as in my case, you have a family member who is and can put the rental car in his/her name with you as a second driver.

I doubt many TT members are Costco members, so that's not very good advice.

boy you sure put that (3 year old) post in its place! :rolleyes:

Do you think that this 3 year old post won't come back up if somebody searches for USA car rental info on here?

I was just trying to warn anyone that finds that post, that it's not gonna work unless they have a Costco membership.

Hi,

I incidentally did search for US car rental and ended up on this 3 year old thread with last update about 3 months ago. ;)

Anyway, I came across a site called uscarhire.com which claim to provide all inclusive prices including taxes, insurance etc. and seem to be cheaper than other websites mentioned here.

Does anybody have experience with this website? Any hints on whether it is a good or bad deal?

I don't remember which website enview last went through but we got fantastic deals with Dollar the last two times. I'll send him a PM, drawing his attention to this topic.

One important distinction from Europe to America is the CDW. In Europe it is usually included but with a high deductible (perhaps 500-1000 local currency) where as in America no insurance is included, so as it was explained to me a few years ago, if you have an accident the full value of the car is charged to the card and adjusted later.

Edit: this may have changed as this was a few years ago I looked into it.

Has anyone ever had to put a claim in on CC or separate insurance due to an accident?

Hi,I incidentally did search for US car rental and ended up on this 3 year old thread with last update about 3 months ago.

Thanks for using the search function :)

Thanks to this 3 year old thread, I found opodo.de, and thats what I booked my car with, because the prices aren't bad, and insurance is included, unlike the US version of Kayak.

I do use Kayak for flights, though, but I always book my rental car through a German site, either Sixt directly, expedia.de, or opodo.de. That way, theres no surprises when I go to pick up the car.