Car rental in USA - price comparison

38 posts in this topic

What are some good websites for price comparison on car rental in the USA? I'm looking for a good price...

If you know some that allows you to put extra options at the start (such as GPS), please tell me!

The European-based portals like Expedia are often the cheapest, believe it or not. The headline rates on the American websites seem cheap, but by the time you add on the 32 different types of insurance it's a different story. Here you get an all-inclusive quote because most Europeans, unlike Americans, don't have car-rental insurance on their credit card.

Despite it's name Autoeurope provides good comparisons for US hire, and is in English. Billiger-Mietwagen generally gets better prices and is very flexible to tailor for your actual needs including insurance cover without deductibles, but it's in German (if that's a problem for you. An advantage of both is that they have no cancellation fees, so your can book without hesitation and subsequently cancel if you find a better offer elsewhere.

Try Kayak.com... they're terrific for rentals and finding flights.. you can click to compare additional sites as well. We find rental cars through them for as little as 13.95 a day... and I'd look for an airport rental, even though there are additional taxes added on, it's cheaper than going off-site. You may end up having to buy additional insurance, and if you're driving through areas that have many toll roads, for example in the North east... a lot of companies offer prepaid ez-pay boxes...that let you drive through the automated toll lanes.

[Good Prices] [insurance Included] [Wrong Continent]

Ooooooohhh, so close. No payout. Blackjack maybe?

If you'd like to save on the costs of car rental, you might want to get a credit card which includes the collision-damage waiver (Vollkasko) for rental cars. This is standard on many North American cards (usually Gold and beyond), but rather uncommon in Germany. One of the few German cards that offer this kind of insurance package is the GermanWings Gold credit card (issued via Barclay's). Annual membership fee is €50 (€0 for the first year) and you get the Vollkasko for car rentals world-wide provided you charge the car rental to the credit card and the rental period does not exceed 30 days.

Avoiding having to get the CDW from the car rental company itslelf shaves about 25% - 50% off the total price of the rental.

The Germanwings credit card CDW insurance is quite limited (like most insurances provided by credit cards). It doesn't cover you for business rental, you have to pay the whole rental on the card, and you still have an excess/deductible of 230€. Most of the German consolidators, such as ADAC or FTI Drive include this (with 0€ excess/deductible) in their negotiated rental deals anyway.

I always rent through AVIS. First I look online (German version) to see what kinds of rates I get, then I call them directly - telephone 01805217702. I always get a rate another 15 . 20% cheaper than what is online. I have no idea why but it works for me.

ADAC is indeed great, especially if you are a member. I did book a car from them for San Francisco when all other websites claimed there are no free cars.

Also try Priceline.

Hey, you guys are amazing - thank you so much!!! The recommendation for the billiger-mietwagen is awesome - it allows you to select navigation and full thank in the search options (and all insurances are nicely listed)! Thanks for kayak -it also seems to give good prices, too!

The only problem is that I need a rental car that can be picked up in Galveston, TX on Saturday 15th - and it looks like mission impossible! (I found a car rental on google maps near the hotel, and guess what - it's closed on Saturday...). As I'm very short on time, I'd avoid having to go to the Houston IAH just to pick up the car and go back to Houston...and taxis in that area seem to be expensive like hell (e.g. taxi from Galveston to downtown Houston - $150)

Do you know any website that'd allow to search non-aiport pick ups? Please tell me if you've got any other suggestion how to get from Galveston to Houston with the least amount of money and effort ;)

There appears to be an Enterprise car rental in that town and it's open on Saturday mornings. Just book direct through the Enterprise website. Although all the websites recommended to you should have non-airport pick-ups.

The Germanwings credit card CDW insurance is quite limited (like most insurances provided by credit cards). It doesn't cover you for business rental, you have to pay the whole rental on the card, and you still have an excess/deductible of 230€. Most of the German consolidators, such as ADAC or FTI Drive include this (with 0€ excess/deductible) in their negotiated rental deals anyway.

Whatever you do you need to ensure that you have personal liability insurance. If you have an accident and are found at fault you are liable for any damages and injuries to other parties involved. A full coverage policy on a car(in the states anyway) usually will provide personal liability coverage for a rental as well. Personal liability insurance is mandatory and the $ amount you must carry varies from state to state I believe.

I strongly recommend you ensure that you have some personal liability insurance when driving a rental in the states. If you have a car here contact your insurance company and find out if your policy covers you. I am pretty sure the VISA CDW does not do anything along those lines.

I agree with tech71: Definitely cover your liability insurance, it will NOT be included automatically. Although if you have car insurance for your own car, there might be coverage: Check with your insurance company. (I no longer own a car, so I don't remember anymore!) Since I have a US-based Gold Visa card, my CDW is covered when I rent using that card. (If you ask the car rental station about CDW, they "won't know" whether your Gold Visa covers CDW or not.)

wrt rental company:

- I usually use Enterprise, their prices are usually better than Hertz or Avis, and they are business-like: No funny games, as with Payless ("Oh, you didn't bring photocopied proof of your insurance? Guess we'll have to add $15/day to your rate.").

- If there are several Enterprise locations in town, as is generally the case, check the rates for all of them: They often differ substantially. Sometimes the airport location is more expensive, sometimes less.

- They often have a policy of being able to give you a short (less than 2 miles) ride to/from the Enterprise location.

- http://www.enterprise.com

enterprise not working on weekends...and no drop-off at the airport...

but problem solved in the most unusal and unexpected way :) thank you all for your help and advice - you've been amazing - there's a lot of very helpful information on this thread for other travelers too!

[Good Prices] [insurance Included] [Wrong Continent]

Ooooooohhh, so close. No payout. Blackjack maybe?

laughed so much when I read this :))

Before signing on for the hundreds of types of insurance, check with your credit card company to see what type of protection they give you if you use their card to rent the car. Many of the types of insurance offered by the rental agencies is redundant.

My miserly friend says that the best place to compare rental car rates is Priceline (use Bidding for Travel to tip the right price to bid) or go straight to Budget Rent-a-Car using Costco code W852802.

I fly out to Boston for two week tomorrow and have found Opodo to have the cheapest rental deals on either side of the ocean. Anyone else have a good lead? Seems renting here is the better deal?