Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Advice on moving to Leipzig

32 posts in this topic

Hello,

Me, my German wife of 12 years and our two boys (6 & 3) are moving from Stockport, England to Leipzig in the New Year 2008. Our house is currently up for sale and we have started applying for jobs from internet searches.

I would welcome any handy hints or tips for life in Leipzig for expats. My wife was born and bred in Leipzig but has not lived there for about 14 years.

We do have some friends and family in the Markkleeburg and Borna areas and would welcome any advise from English speakers about the best please to start searching for jobs and for life in general

Thanks & all the best,

Ben.

Hi Ben,

What kind of work are you looking for?

the best please to start searching for jobs

A pretty one.

I have been working as an international transport co-ordinator for the past 17 years. Sending cargo by road to a from eastern europe and russia. I am looking for work in a similar field but would also consider taking a teaching job.

Hi, Nice of you to join the forum and good luck job hunting.

However Leipzig has a 20% unemployment rate so finding a job there

could be tough.

I have been working as an international transport co-ordinator for the past 17 years. Sending cargo by road to a from eastern europe and russia. I am looking for work in a similar field but would also consider taking a teaching job.

Hi Ben,

Amazon has recently opened a big regional DC and as far as I know they are still hiring (including white collar). Then there is DHL which is currently preparing to open their European Hub at Leipzig/Halle Airport with a couple of thousand vacancies. Both companies may provide opportunities for you in the logistics area. Then there are obviously the usual bunch of forwarders...

Just check out:

www.stepstone.de

www.jobpilot.de

www.monster.de

and the like...

Good luck anyways.

hi and hi all (first post n all) :-)

as spiderman said about dhl and amazon ill skip that part - jobs are a little difficult to find but are there if you're willing to do anything to get started - for example if you want to work in a callcenter the place i'm working is usually hiring - but it's not great! -

as for leipzig... you may be interested in leipzig international school for the young uns - i believe they can carry on with brit gcse syllabus there and the language is english. private school and very nice people!

accommodation is very cheap in le - and of a pretty high standard - schleussig in the south part of the city is very family friendly and is an area that is rapidly becoming very popular - and is very close to the park. but markleeberg is also pretty nice and only 10 mins from city centre(as u know i guess).

good luck - i hope you like it here - i've been here 5 years and apart from the speedtraps (blue passat estate cars) terrible street surfaces and the fact it's got an ikea - i love it :-)

hi Benji, hope it works out for you.

If you are looking for a job it is an advantage to learn German. You can get the authorities to help pay for a course but you have to jump through some hoops first. You have to go to the auslanderbehorde and apply for a aufenthaltserlaubnis first. Or you could just pay for a language course yourself at the Volkshochschule (Folks Hoax Skool), they're not that expensive anyway.

You might consider looking for a job elsewhere in Germany. You could commute daily to Dresden, Berlin or Potsdam - however, they have similar unemployment rate. Or you could work mon-fri in a German city probably in the west and commute back at the weekend - a number of people do that.

Hello,

I too will be moving to Leipzig within the next couple of years. My boyfriend was born in Berlin and wants to return to Germany to be near his family (we are presently living in the States). I have never been away from my own family and it will be the first time I have done anything without them (my parents have always handled everything for me when we have moved in the past). I know that it is important to learn German as well as find a job and a house, but because I am so new to everything I don't know how to go about doing all of this. I will have just graduated from college and by that point hopefully have a basic knowledge of both the language and the place that we will be moving to(I will also be about 21 when we actually do move there).Any suggestions as to how I should be looking for a job and what I should know before moving? I hope this is not too annoying but I really am at a loss :)

Erm..any ideas of what you want to do? Why are you tagging along after your boyfriend and not the other way round?

just an idea, try Fixemer.de They were looking for transport managers in Landsberg which is 15-20 mins north of Leipzig right next to the A9 towards Halle

To answer the vicar I love the arts, I was thinking maybe working in photography.I'm tagging along after my boyfriend because he wants to study at the Conservatory there and I support him in following his dreams. I'm sure if/when my dreams need it he will support me just as much.

To Bergadler: thank you for the idea, I won't be moving for a while so I don't know if the position(s) will still be available but when I get closer to moving I will be sure put that on my ideas lists. Once again thank you :)

as a side note what is minimum wage in Germany?

Hi,

Im pretty new to Toytown and Germany. I have been living with my boyfriend who is from near Stuttgart, but we have been living near Memmingen rennovating a house. Its pretty cool, beautiful country etc.

We are moving to Leipzig next month (Sept 2010) as he is studying his Masters in Engineering - Restoration and I will want to start a language course. Was looking at VHS or VHL what is it? Anyone starting the beginners course in November?

In Australia I was a television production co-ordinator, but now we are thinking of starting a small business in home improvements.

Well, basically just wanted to see if there were any english speaking ex-pats in the area and say hi and see how you're finding life there.

Cheers

Jade

p.s picture is from our recent weekend in the Alps!

post-92628-12825834502526_thumb.jpg

Greetings Jade.

I'm a 34-year old Canadian ex-pat working/living in Leipzig for about a year. My german skills were tested at the mid-A2 levels at the VHS here, however, I have still to this point not taken any formal lessons. The reason was because I had too many other activities I wanted to do outside of ft hours to have the stamina to fit in a course as well. I have a co-worker who is enrolled in the same A1 course this November, I believe it's not bad there, but haven't heard any direct stories yet. I was recently in Austria and made friends with someone who met her boyfriend there and got married. 2 years in now and her German is getting quite good, although it was private lessons that gave such good results. It has been really hard to learn the language on my own, so I personally would recommend any school rather than how I did. Plus, you will meet new people and make friends.

Back in Canada I was a video producer/graphic designer, but still haven't found those opportunities here yet - although Leipzig is quite a media town, home to MDR, where you might be able to find work depending on your qualifications and experience if you want to go back that route. The city is nice, but I'm partial to Saxony, where I met my girlfriend, and it just felt most like home to me out of all the cities I visited and decided to stay.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask, I could definitely fill you in from a Canadian perspective how I find the city, people, parks, shopping, nightlife, etc etc. Hope I can be of use!

cheers, Andrew :)

whoops, forgot to mention my friend in Austria is also an Aussie. I have met quite a few that travel to Canada, and surprised to find many ex-pats here too. I am planning to visit Melbourne and some other cities next year for my first time. Just gotta save enough for that flight pricetag ;)

warm welcome to Leipzig!

OK, for the info Andrew and the welcome! We are coming p on Tuesday to look for an apartment. Probably move in the week after. Will write again once we are settled in! Melbourne is great, let me know if yo have any questions.

Cheers

Jade

Hi,

Have settled in. My Mum just visited from Australia which was nice. We are living in Karl Liebknecht Str and so far liking it. I was wondering, do you know any gyms who train in english? Looking for Yoga and or Aerobics? How have you been?

Also wondering what any English speaking ex-pats are doing for work in Leipzig.

I am thinking of opening a shop. Anyone tried this? Would love to chat about it. Drinks on me ;)

ps, if anyone uses it and would like to add me on facebook its http://www.facebook.com/jade.vansanten x