To banish smoking for good...

67 posts in this topic

Quite apart from the well-documented hazards to health caused by smoking, if smokers were only aware that tobacco smoke stinks and causes their breath, their hair, their clothes, their car and their home also to stink, they might be encouraged from within to give up the habit despite how hard this might prove to be, but the trouble is that their sense of smell is so severely suppressed that they simply don't appreciate the problem.

I'm constantly amazed that so many people spend so much time and money on cleanliness and cosmetics only to ruin the effect by lighting up!

The disappearance of cigarette machines in the UK had nothing to do with anti smoking, they were always getting vandalised and the ciggies stolen. Under 18's can't use the machines here as you have to put your id or ec card in them.

I don't ever remember seeing cigarette vending machines in the street in the UK. That's not to say they never existed of course, but it was a shock when I saw them here when I relocated. You even get them in the woods sometimes. No wonder people here don't bother to quit - you can't even go for a nice walk in the fresh air without having cigarettes thrust in your face!

As someone who quit smoking very happily and loves the smoke free pubs, I love the new legislation. However when I hear people standing on their soap boxes and carrying on with this bullshit, I get the feeling that I should just stick a cigarette in my mouth and try and repeal all the legislation. Is nothing safe from this crowd? I don't like people drinking and smoking and I've got nothing better to do so lets ban it, cause that works. Don't you have anything better to do?

For anyone who wants to read up further, the paper is available here

It clearly shows an association between exposure to smoking in movies and having tried smoking, and it goes some way to establishing causality, but it's not there yet.

I am an ex-smoker of nearly 13 years, I really like the smoking ban in pubs and public places and I'm a concerned parent who doesn't want to see his kids start smoking, but I can't see how this will help.

I would think that any effort to 'age rate' movies based on smoking content would suffer from the same failings that currently allow 15 year olds to get cigarettes.

If the kid is getting his fags with fake ID then he will use the same fake ID to get into an 18 rated movie. If he is getting them via an adult accomplice then why would that adult not also get them movies.

If anything getting past the age restrictions on films is even easier because most stuff can be downloaded from the internet and no-one checks your age on bit-torrent.

The disappearance of cigarette machines in the UK had nothing to do with anti smoking,

The machines had to disappear as, back then, there was no reasonable way to detect people over 18. Which is only a relatively recent change in Germany. They also would have had to disappear when tobacco advertising was banned.

Once a habit is formed, the "high" of smoking is merely temporary relief from withdrawal.

I still find it disgusting that cigarettes are peddled in vending machines on most street corners here.

I remember them from the Fifties and Sixties, Perfect , though I was a non-smoker. I think the problem was they tended to get vandalised too often!

For anyone who wants to read up further, the paper is available here

It clearly shows an association between exposure to smoking in movies and having tried smoking, and it goes some way to establishing causality, but it's not there yet.

I am an ex-smoker of nearly 13 years, I really like the smoking ban in pubs and public places and I'm a concerned parent who doesn't want to see his kids start smoking, but I can't see how this will help.

I would think that any effort to 'age rate' movies based on smoking content would suffer from the same failings that currently allow 15 year olds to get cigarettes.

If the kid is getting his fags with fake ID then he will use the same fake ID to get into an 18 rated movie. If he is getting them via an adult accomplice then why would that adult not also get them movies.

If anything getting past the age restrictions on films is even easier because most stuff can be downloaded from the internet and no-one checks your age on bit-torrent.

generally if you make something taboo for kids, the more interest it creates for them.

the Irish seem to adhere to this law better than the healthy living, in ordnung Germans, amazing.

healthy living Germans? Is there another Germany somewhere?

I like smoking and all but if it were to be de-legalized I hardly think I'd go skulking around dark alleys paying €20 for a pouch of tobacco, running the risk of coming home with shredded tea leaves.

In the States, particularly my home state, and several provinces of Canada, a one-two hit of the government's vociferous and public siding with the non-smokers (smoking is filthy and no one should ever have to be subjected to it, not inside a building, not at a busstop, not in front of a bar, basically nowhere but standing in the middle of a street or in your own home) plus the taxes being raised so dramatically that it is now a luxury the poor--known to make up the bulk of habitual smokers--can scarcely afford while still having money left over for food/shelter/clothing--has had the effect of forcing huge numbers of people to quit. Everywhere you go people are scowling at you if you light up, if you can even afford it, that is. I know a number of people who have quit purely out of shame; non-smoking friends who used to tolerate their occasional tobacco use now have no problems banishing them like lepers while they've got a burning cancer stick betwixt their fingers.

All in all I think a strongly enforced ban on smoking in public places along with drastically higher prices for tobacco would be just the incentive many of us who toy with the idea of quitting need to actually do so, and I really believe that tobacco becoming wholly illegal would be secretly and subconsciously viewed as a god-send by many who have wanted to quit for years but never found a good enough reason to.

Besides that, getting enough tobacco in the country to satisfy the market would be a bit less inconspicuous than say, getting enough cocaine or pot into the country to meet the demands of the consumers. How could a black tobacco market even work, without the complicity of the government? Although to hear some people tell it, some governments are complying with efforts to get the real nasty shit over the border as well...

I will support such a ban. Only if you support my ban on breathing. It is not the inhaling or taking of my air that bothers me, its the exhaling.

Why if you're a smoker will your health insurance not cover the cost of many treatments to quit?

However if you're an alcoholic they will happily pay?

Is everyone who thinks smoking should be banned also happy to ban alcohol as well?

If smoking was banned would you all be happy with having to pay more tax in various forms as after no more cig tax the govt would have to find a big chunk of money from somewhere?

Why is smoking in films etc bad (which I agree it is) yet alcohol consumption in films is not even considered worth mentioning?

Funny how someone who smells of cigs is considered unclean yet no one seems concerned of the many people who reek of booze.

Smoking is banned in an awful lot of places now wtf more do people want?

I hate smoking (and if you think it's bad in Germany... try Austria - just back from a week there) but I don't think that banning it in films is going to do anything.

As a passionate non-smoker, I still miss the Marlboro adverts in the cinema because they always made me want to be a cowboy. sigh.

But I heard something about how they want to ban the old films because of the people smoking in them. Honestly! I spent many a happy school holiday watching all those glorious black-and-white films where people smoked. My childhood would have been poorer without them.

I think the likelihood of whether you smoke or not is more related to the people around you. I love the Cecil Beaton photo of Ian Fleming, but it has never ever ever made me want to try a cigarette.

Ian-Fleming.jpg

Funny how someone who smells of cigs is considered unclean yet no one seems concerned of the many people who reek of booze.

We've been over this on so many threads before, but the difference between the smell of smoking and the smell of booze is that the smell of smoke is tranferred to everyone around the smoker. Before the smoking ban came into force I would come home from a night out and my clothes would stink of stale cigarette smoke, this doesn't happen now.

Quite apart from the well-documented hazards to health caused by smoking, if smokers were only aware that tobacco smoke stinks and causes their breath, their hair, their clothes, their car and their home also to stink, they might be encouraged from within to give up the habit despite how hard this might prove to be, but the trouble is that their sense of smell is so severely suppressed that they simply don't appreciate the problem.

I'm constantly amazed that so many people spend so much time and money on cleanliness and cosmetics only to ruin the effect by lighting up!

What shocked me most was what I learnt on the series "10 Years Younger". Apparently, smoking is bad for one's gums, which is why so many smokers lose their teeth and have that caved-in look around their mouth. Yikes.

I only can shake my head...Films showing actors smoking .. this is the absolut climax of bigotry, lost and out of balance values

in a race of PC...

However it seems ok and very normal and nobody asks a question about to confront kids all day long with massive violance, massacerd by chain saws, cut into pieces by granades and bullets...you people got all brain washed to find that quite normal...and than request to ban actors smoking..excuse me..ihr spinnt alle!

and now I have to go vomit...

exactly. I wonder if the level of violence in the UK is higher than elsewhere in western Europe. because of so much violence shown on the TV there.

I watched loads of westerns as a child, gangster movies (James Cagney, Edward G. Robinson), detective series and so on .. even cartoons like the Road Runner. I even managed to eat my school lunch (sandwiches) while watching the A level students dissect rats in the biology laboratory.

But even I have to look away with some of the UK's latest TV shows.

I'm re-watching The Professionals via youtube. Made between 77-81 (or so), they are soooo different to today's detective series. Often, the wounds aren't shown. And there are NO serial killers.

A new crime series (The Body Farm) started off with the two bodies a gooey mess clinging to the walls. And another new series DCI Banks has a serial killer in it.

The worst thing is... that people are shown everything in such great detail. I remember one episode of Waking the Dead that repeatedly showed a knife cutting into flesh. Not necessary.

So.. if watching films with people smoking leads people to smoke... how about violence, graphic violence and gore being shown on TV? What does that lead to?

Yeah... double standards.

I don't even bother with most of the new crime series any more. Too gruesome.

Why if you're a smoker will your health insurance not cover the cost of many treatments to quit?

However if you're an alcoholic they will happily pay?

I get the feeling that smoking is BIG business for the German health insurers.

They wouldn't make any money if people were healthy,

right?

I don't know... perhaps I'm a cynic; but everywhere I look I see sick people,

unhealthy people

People that look like they've had the

LIFE wrung out of them

And nothing but advertising for cigarettes,

advertising for alcohol,

advertising for

processed food

Junk mail pushing the latest specials,

always a new and more convenient poison at the supermarket,

always more and more normalised simply by being there

amongst the milk and bread.

Could it be that if Germany wanted its people to stay healthy

if it were in their best interest

They'd do something about it all?

I get the feeling that smoking is BIG business for the German health insurers.

They wouldn't make any money if people were healthy,

right?

If people were healthy they'd make loads of money. You can't not have health insurance here, so if everybody was healthy they'd be able to keep all the money and spend it on BMWs and hookers. Unfortunately they have to give most of the money to evil drug companies and their accomplicies, the doctors and nurses.

I doubt it.

Smoking doesn't even give you a high. If it was banned, then there'd probably be an increase in the amount of weed being used and probably other drugs as well, because if it's all illegal, then you might as well smoke something that'll get you high...

There already is a healthy cigarette black market in Manhattan and its not even verboten, its just taxed like a mofo.