Berlin is the sex mecca of the world

132 posts in this topic

Berlin as a global lifestyle center is again seen as one of the movers and shakers...

Hub Culture 2012 Zeitgeist Ranking

4. Berlin (2011 rank: 4)

Berlin is like your hipster friend who went into local politics and ended up raising your property taxes. All the cool kids are still there, but the city's evolution into political power player is complete, and that's replacing the hip factor with raw power. Berlin is calling the shots across Europe - from the Greek crisis to EU interest rates, and so for every underground dungeon slash disco there are now two lawyers in a coffee shop talking about work. That's life.

Berlin Image Gallery

Jews Stream Back to Germany:

Thousands of Israelis and Diaspora Jews Seek Citizenship - Jewish Daily

Quote:

Berlin’s Jewish population jumped in 2008 to an estimated 50,000 from 6,000 in 1990, amid an overall population today of 3.4 million. The surge in Jewish population reflects, in part, a huge influx of Russian Jews. Many of them have at best a weak sense of Jewish identity thanks to the long Soviet era, during which this was suppressed. But an estimated 15,000 Israelis reside in Berlin, drawn there to work and study, and to enjoy the city’s freedom, cheap rents and exciting intellectual life. For these mostly younger Jews, the experiences of their grandparents and great-grandparents seem a distant trauma. “I fell in love with Berlin, its freedom, its great space” said Maya Nathan, a 33-year-old Israeli student with a German passport.

&

Deidre Berger, director of the American Jewish Committee’s Berlin office, said that Germany is increasingly attractive for Jewish immigration. “Berlin is becoming one of the most exciting capital cities in Europe, and it exerts a pull,” Berger said. “Many of the new Jewish citizens say they have some history in Germany, and they want to discover it.”

When I trained as a Berlin guide in 2007-2008, one of my colleagues was a Jew(ess) from the former USSR.

I knew her well enough to ask her outright what the Hell she was doing in Berlin bearing in mind the history of the Holocaust and Operation Barbarossa.

She told me that Berlin was a really safe place to bring up her two kids and that nobody here gave a shit about her background in comparison with her experiences in Russia.

There also apears to have been a "sea-change" in the attitude of many Jewish/Israeli visitors here.

Not that long ago, tour-managers and guides actually dreaded Israeli/US Jewish tour-groups. Nowadays, such visitors are much more friendly and open-minded.

It should not be forgotten that old Prussia was the home of the Haskalah - the Jewish Enlightenment.

I had the pleasure last year of taking a couple of Israeli lasses on one of my walking tours. They came with an attitude of wanting to know, rather than forcing their prejudices about Germans and Germany down my throat.

Personally, I'm delighted that Jews/Israelis can feel "at home" here.

International Understanding 1 - Nazis Nil.

Yes, Keefy, that's all fine and good, but remember the theme of this thread: These Israeli lasses, did they GO?? And by GO, I mean...

C'mon, back on topic...

Don't have enough Hebrew for the old: "Let me get my hand in your pants and I'll make you a star", I'm afraid. ;)

The German Missions in the United States:

Today's Berlin combines the past and present at the crossroads of East and West in dazzling, manifold layers of diverse architecture; international diplomacy; world-class cultural venues; lively contemporary art, film and fashion scenes; vibrant festivals and nightlife; vast public transit networks; and cutting-edge technology.

The upshot: Germany's capital city is a very livable and lovable place that attracts movers and shakers from the fields of politics, media and science, as well as young people and artists embracing a liberal lifestyle and a modern zeitgeist.

&

Berlin has become a party paradise. Each weekend, hipsters from all over the world fly into the German capital on budget airlines to dance to electronic tunes at the likes of Watergate, Week End or Berghain, which has been named the world's best disco.

&

Berlin is a mecca for creative and innovative types from all over the world.

The super city - wish / The Australian

Quote:

This is the fifth issue of WISH that we've dedicated to a single city. And for me, at least, it's the first time we've produced an issue in a city that I had never been to before.

When we made the decision to do our New York, London, Paris and Los Angeles issues it was largely because I knew each city fairly well and had a good idea of what to see, what to do, who we should approach for interviews and what locations we should choose for our fashion shoot. To be perfectly honest, we chose Berlin because every time we published one of these destination issues, people - colleagues, friends, readers - kept telling me that we should go to Berlin next. Never let it be said that I don't listen.

Of all the issues and photo shoots we've worked on overseas, this one was by far the most complex and challenging but, as is often the case, it was also the most rewarding. Now having been there, if there's one word that sums up Berlin for me it's super. During the week we were working in the city we'd often hear that someone was "super busy" or if they did have time to meet with us they were "super pleased" to do so.

Appetite for life - wish/ The Australian

Quote:

ONE of Europe's most enticing cities, Berlin has emerged from its tumultous past with its gaze set firmly to the future. A hotbed of creativity, it's a dynamic and happening place to be (and it's one of the last affordable capital cities in the world).

Shops, bars, restaurants and galleries have emerged in interesting locations, sometimes in disused factories, warehouses, bunkers or railway stations, where the spaces are transformed and reinvented, oozing personality and difference. The design and architecture may be classic or contemporary, from Bauhaus to Mies van der Rohe, minimalist to Baroque, industrial glam or grunge, but it all contributes to the city's unique aesthetic. Street fashion is avant-garde and innovative, the music is edgy, the atmosphere electric, even anarchistic. Retail therapy is alive and thriving and it's possible to firmly treasures that are Berlin-specific - great in an era of international homogeny. And, not surprisingly, the city's creativity and sense of liberation and freedom shines through in its dynamic food culture.

Please do not confuse those of us who love the city with those of you who love to trash the city.

This is just another incident of Berlin being treated badly by tourists who piss off home and leave the rest of us (old Berliners and new Berliners alike) to sweep up the broken glass so we can ride our bikes to work without getting a puncture and get on with our normal meager yet happy existence.

Berlin might be poor but sexy but the shitty tourists certainly aren't.

You mean like those über trendy cafes in Friederichshain that spraypaint graffiti on their own buildings so they can look edgy, gritty, and cool?

No I mean those with more money than sense who over endulge throw empty bottles on the ground when there is a bin 2 paces away then vomit everywhere because they are ever so cool.

But then again I could have just described Ibiza or Bali.