Lufthansa A380 to be based in Munich

36 posts in this topic

Lufthansa has just announced some cutbacks in their schedule but it comes with the news that from December the Munich to New York route will be served by an Airbus A380 ("super jumbo") based in Munich!

In German from the mouth of a Lufthansa Board member: "Spohr berichtete von anhaltend großem Interesse am Großraumflugzeug Airbus A380. "Im Dezember setzen wir erstmalig eine A380 in München auf der Strecke von München nach New York ein", kündigte er an."

Source : http://www.sueddeutsche.de/wirtschaft/airline-vorstand-carsten-spohr-im-interview-lufthansa-will-sms-an-bord-erlauben-1.1147245

I was excited to hear this and shared it to Google+. But someone there pointed out the original Lufthansa press release. It says the A380 flights are for one week only, to cope with pre-Christmas demand. So that's a bit disappointing.

It seems this might just be a publicity stunt by Lufthansa to stop Emirates saying they are the first airline to serve Munich with an A380 (Dubai from January)

http://www.businesstraveller.com/middle-east/news/emirates-starting-a380-munich-flights-and-expan

"Emirates claims it will be the first carrier to operate an A380 to Munich, supporting the airport's A380-readiness."

You could well be on to something there.

That press release I linked to above says that more information will be forthcoming on October 5.

So I guess we wait and see what that says.

Need to go to Dubai in March and now because of this thread I may look at Emirates just to fly the A380. Could have cost them a good few hundred euros if that's the case.

Though surely having more capacity at Christmas on the transatlantic route surely makes sense?

Lufthansa just released detailed info: goo.gl/kdFEP

The A380s are flying daily from Munich to JFK for one week: 6-12th December, leaving Munich T2 at 11.45 am.

Flight time is 9 hours there, 8 hours back.

Returns are €444, or €799 for two people.

What's all the excitement about the A380?

I've been on it with Lufthansa a couple of times on the Tokyo-Frankfurt route, and it's not that special.

If you're in economy class there's not actually much difference between the A380 and the A340. The A380 is of course a lot bigger, but you don't get any more leg room.

One plus is that the economy class seats have power outlets. The A340s only have them in business and first.

A340 layout

A380 layout

I also wasn't that impressed with the A380. I usually choose a window seat so that I can try to sleep against the interior wall, however on the A380 the fuselage is so big that the wall is too far away from the seat so my head could only lean against the wall if I stretched, so it wasn't comfortable :(

31.0" seat pitch is pretty miserable, and there isn't even a premium economy class for people who want more comfort but don't have a company to pay for it.

oy don_riina, was more thinking of baby changing facilities in the loos.

it's no mean feat on most planes, am 6ft tall too which doesn't help.

I don't recall them being any bigger.

On the A340 you have to go down to a lower deck, so you have to queue on the stairs. Can be a bit annoying if you're holding a baby.

Lufthansa doesn't offer premium economy on any of their flights, so, why would you expect that on the A380 ?

Oddly, United, which is also a Star Alliance member, does. For the long haul flights, an extra 75-100 EUR can make the difference between reasonable comfort, and agony. Having recently flown to San Francisco; once in March on the Lufthansa A340, and more recently in August on a United 777, I can assure you the extra 4 inches of pitch makes one hell of a difference for anyone of average size or taller.

For the long haul flights, an extra 75-100 EUR can make the difference between reasonable comfort, and agony.

Whilst what you say is very true there are many companies (like mine) who will not shell out that additional cost & still expect you to be fit to work the next days.

Lufthansa doesn't offer premium economy on any of their flights, so, why would you expect that on the A380 ?

Because the plane is fucking massive, that's why. "Oh we just don't offer it" isn't a good reason for not offering it. LH are very much behind the curve on this one.

McDonalds doesn't offer pizza (at least as far as I know), but you're not complaining about that.

I too WISH they would offer a premium economy class, because their long-haul flight times seem to be more favorable to my schedule.

I voted with my wallet, and flew United just for that reason, if enough people do that, they'll change, otherwise, don't hold your breath.

The difference between Economy and Premium Economy is rarely 100 euros for a long haul flight. In my experience it's at least 50% more expensive.

Different airlines have different standards of premium economy. Some, like United, just give you a bit more leg room (i.e. the amount that everyone in economy used to get ten years ago), while others give you a wider and more comfortable seat as well. I agree that the price is generally more than €100. However on one occasion at the airport I was offered a one-way upgrade to premium economy on United for $100, an opportunity that I grabbed with both hands.