Registering birth of baby born to Canadian citizens in Germany

42 posts in this topic

My wife and I, both Canadian, have just had our baby here in Dresden and I'm wondering what the process is for registering the baby, both here, and in Canada. Anyone had this experience?

Cheers

I'm Canadian and both of our children were born in Germany so I've done this twice.

Do you have the baby's German birth certificate yet? You need that (among a bunch of other documents) to apply for a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship at the Canadian Embassy in Berlin. After you receive the certificate you can apply for a Canadian passport for your child.

See also: Birth Abroad - FAQ

And congratulations on the new arrival!

First of all: congratulations! ;)

The, one question (I am not in the process to have a child)...but if a child has two Canadian, for example, parents and borns in Germany, will he have double citizenship, both German both Canadian? And double passport?

Thanks

Marco.

The child would only get German citizenship if at least one parent has been living in Germany for 8 years at the time of birth.

Regarding the birth certificate, I'm not an expert but I think you can get an "international birth certificate" from the German authorities, which is basically a multi-lingual version of the otherwise German-only birth certificate. Might help avoid the hassle of having to have the birth certificate officially translated (with apostille and what not) into English in the future.

In addition to that, it might also be possible to get a Canadian birth certificate from the embassy in Berlin. Could come in handy in the future.

You don't need to have the German birth certificate translated and you can't get a Canadian birth certificate because the child was not born in Canada. The Certificate of Canadian Citizenship takes its place for Canadian citizens born abroad.

The child would only get German citizenship if at least one parent has been living in Germany for 8 years at the time of birth.

And if said parent was not here on a student visa, asylum status, etc.

You don't need to have the German birth certificate translated and you can't get a Canadian birth certificate because the child was not born in Canada. The Certificate of Canadian Citizenship takes its place for Canadian citizens born abroad.

Correct, the Canadian embassy in Berlin does not issue birth certificates for births in Germany (unlike German embassies which can, upon request, issue a Geburtsurkunde for kids born to German parents abroad).

It is also correct that the Canadian embassy in Berlin does not require a translation of the German birth certificate. However, if in the future the child needs to present the birth certificate to an authority outside of Germany, e.g. to a federal or provincial authority in Canada, that certificate will need to be translated if it's not in English or French. An international birth certificate could help avoid that hassle. At least this is what the German Consulate in Toronto recommends.

I'm American and have never had to have my daughter's German birth certificate translated. Her Consular Report of Birth Abroad, in combination with the German birth certificate, has sufficed to register her for public school in the US, for example.

There are many scenarios in which a birth certificate showing the names of both parents is either required or strongly recommended. For example:

• When flying with infants/minors on an airline. See here and here, for example. Air Canada's website explicitly states: the following documents may also be required for any travel that includes a child, both within Canada and abroad: Birth certificates showing the names of both parents.
  • When claiming inheritance rights from a deceased parent, see e.g. here.

Regarding the language of the certificates, the last link above states that:

Where affidavits, court testimony, or certificates are prepared outside of Canada in a language other than English or French, they must be translated into English. A sworn statement of the translator in English setting out his/her qualifications to translate and stating the translation is true and correct must be attached.

The easiest and cheapest way to avoid the expense and hassle of providing an official translation meeting the requirements above is to get an international birth certificate from the German authorities which is already (also) in English and thus requires no further translation.

Thanks. We've flown *many* times with our kids (who are now 15 and 18) from the time they were babies and never had to show their birth certificates. Their German ones have both our names on them anyway.

An international birth certificate can be issued after the fact anyway if it's really needed. Not a big deal at all.

I'm Canadian and both of our children were born in Germany so I've done this twice.

Do you have the baby's German birth certificate yet? You need that (among a bunch of other documents) to apply for a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship at the Canadian Embassy in Berlin. After you receive the certificate you can apply for a Canadian passport for your child.

See also: Birth Abroad - FAQ

And congratulations on the new arrival!

Oh, thank goodness! Someone who's been through this before! I don't have the German birth certificate yet. How does one go about getting one? Does it come automatically in the mail or do you have to fill out form or did the hospital do that for me?..I've no idea! Where does one get the 'bunch of other documents'? How long did it take you to get the certificate? And looking at the application form, it is asking for photo ID for my newborn?? What did you use? Apparently you have to send in 2 pieces of German photo ID for the child..ridiculous. Did you get limited validity passports for your children? The problem is that we're going to travel to Canada end of February and I've heard getting a cert. of cit. can take up to a year.

Thanks for the congrats!

Congrats on your little one. I am a Canadian who married a German. In order to get a birth certificate you need to go to the "Gemeinde" in the city your baby was born. It should be ready in a few days. You pay for it and at the same time you can ask for an "International Birth Certificate". In order to apply for a Canadian Passport you need to apply for the Canadian Citizenship card. I took the train with my 7 week old son to Berlin and brought all my documents to the Canadian Embassy in person. They proof it and this saves time in terms of mailing it back to you if something was forgotten etc. It was good that I did as the ID Photo was not accepted so I got another one taken. I also phoned the Canadian Embassy and talked with someone to make sure I had everything I needed. That is what they are there for - to help Canadians. However everything is also on their website.

I travelled the first time to Canada with my son using his German passport. It is no problem.

The Canadian Citizenship Card comes faster if you have some sort of ID for him in Canada. I, by chance, had him listed on my Alberta Health care card. So the card took about 6 months, I was told it would take over a year since they only have "one" person" working on all the cases?!

Hope this helps ;-)

That process can take a while. You can instead apply for the Certificate of Canadian Citizenship and Passport at the same time. They will then give you a Passport before the issue the Citizenship, but it will only be valid for two years instead of the normal 3 years that a child's passport is valid. I've gone through this twice in the last three years as well :)

Don't forget to get an Aufenhaltstitel or whatever stamped into the child's passport, or you can get in trouble when exitting the country. Don't ask how I know this ...

Yes, come to think of it that's what we did with our second child 15 years ago. He got a temporary passport good for one year.

Good tip about the residence permit stamp. Forgot about that one.

That process can take a while. You can instead apply for the Certificate of Canadian Citizenship and Passport at the same time. They will then give you a Passport before the issue the Citizenship, but it will only be valid for two years instead of the normal 3 years that a child's passport is valid. I've gone through this twice in the last three years as well

Don't forget to get an Aufenhaltstitel or whatever stamped into the child's passport, or you can get in trouble when exitting the country. Don't ask how I know this ...

Ok, this is what gets me. How can you apply for a child's passport (even a limited validity passport) when you have no ID for the child?? As far as I understand, you still need to fill out a normal passport application for the child right? And to do this successfully, you need to have documentation of Canadian citizenship to include with the application (birth certificate or citizenship certificate)!..so it's around in a circle we go? What documentation did you provide for your newborns when applying for the limited validity passport?

Also, for the citizenship application, they want 2 photo ID's of the baby? What did you use? My German AOK health card doesn't have photo ID, and I'll assume the baby's won't either... obviously the baby doesn't have any school ID, I suppose they'll use the limited validity passport as one piece once it's issued..but what do you supply for the other required piece of ID? On the website it says vaccination card, but I've never seen one of those...what about that yellow booklet you get from the doctor (with the U1, U2, etc..). (thought this also has no photo of the child in it...)

I travelled the first time to Canada with my son using his German passport. It is no problem.

That would have been a good solution but in the OP's case both parents are Canadian.