2000 or XP?

11 posts in this topic

Right then,

My sweet sis in law had recived a new laptop from her company, and ever being the one to like recycling techno toys, I received from her, her old one. It's a Toshiba Satellite Pro SP6100, about eight years old. She told me that she had forgotten her password, so a quick Google, a spare Ubuntu disk I had lying about and I hacked in to her system for her.

It was back in the day a powerful lappy running win 2000. I have issues with networking it to our own home based "workgroup" network as it is a "domain" system, and is hellish slow.

So given I have an old copy of XP I can overwrite, ought I to go this route?

Definitely, but only if you can be sure you have a legal key to enable it and drivers for any old devices that might be in the system (most should be easy to find). Bear in mind that once you start the XP installation you are unlikely to be able to go back if anything goes wrong, so if you have the means to back up the old system and restore it later, then all the better.

Oh i did all that, streamed it off to a USB stick YL. One of my first jobs. I've defregged it to hell and its still too slow.

Prob is i have no backup copy of win2000 but have one of XP so am on safer ground. isnt 2000 a "refinement" of NT4?

If you like debugging programs with cdb.exe or ntsd.exe, XP allows you to quit and detatch (qd) the debugger without killing the program being debugged. 2000 kills the program and cannot detach debuggers. Therefore XP is the CLEAR winner!

It goes without saying that your version of cdb needs be at least 4.1, but everybody already knows this. I add it here only for completeness.

How about FreeBSD with Xwindows as the GUI with great apps like OpenOffice?? Should run fine on your equipment too.

Mine has run errer-free and reliubly for over 10 years :-)

I'm still using XP after many years on both my laptops and my dektop. Just make sure that there are XP drivers for the laptop.

I'd stick XP on it if I were you.

Deecee that's zackly wot i did today. Seems to fly already. However the version of Office doesn't seem to like XP for some weird reason. Maybe I have to chuck SP3 on.

Yep, make sure you've the latest SP before trying to install everything you need and then run windows update again and again until it doesn't need to update and then start installing programs.