What does God mean to you?

227 posts in this topic

@BadDoggie:

Hay, what I said was just the first thing that came up my mind as to what a fundamentalist Christian might have used as an answer,its NOT the way I see things if you read my posts before on this thread...

And the easy answer to what you said would be - that we can't see the reasons for gods decisions, and there must be a reason beyond our understanding for anything bad that happens...

The holocaust for example...

And if your logic was the right one, then god would have not created satan in the first place right?

The fact he did, shows god sees a purpose in letting people over come satan... bla bla bla...

I could go on and on - and you know it...

You can't argue with that.

the above is NOT the way i believe so dont try and find the logical/other flaws in the above "explanations" ok?

I know its crap - but thats how some people views are.

@Rahul

I believe that God means different to each of us, but I have always wondered what the prevelant conceptions are. I pray once a day in the morning. I try to focus and think about something which would justify as a prayer. Sometimes I think about peace, some times about good conduct, satisfaction, happiness etc. I do this primarily because sometimes I am just standing to pray but my mind is drifting towards other daily mundane things. Just wondering that how to do people pray, what do u think about while praying, what does a prayer mean to you..

I believe that you are really a religious person and not trying to get people worked up in some way such as certain other forum members who love posting their religious views. It is a pity that you didn't really get any answers to your original questions and I don't think that you shouldn't be allowed to discuss stuff like this here on TT. We discuss everything else, why not what God means to you if you are a truly religious person. People that do not believe(such as myself) could just ignore these threads. To answer your question though, I simply cannot believe in God in the way we have been tought although I have tried. I therefore do not pray either although I have tried this as well. Good luck with your thread!

Okay Psioni, some more questions:

Did Jesus speak English? Have you ever translated from one language into another? Have you ever noticed how a lot can be lost in translation? Have you ever been able to relate a story 100%? The Bible was written over 2000 years ago, interpreted or misinterpreted by countless people, translated into at least 3 languages before it was English and then revised countless times to suit various ideologies. How can you be so sure that you are now living God's Word? And can you really apply everything he said to today? Times have changed, some Christians will now have us believe that homosexuality is wrong and some will say it is right. How do you propose to convince the non-believers when you aren't even sure amongst yourselves?

several points:

1. Since I believe in God, I also believe that God will not let His word be Soo mis-interpreted by humans. He would intervene to stop such problems. It is the belief.

2. There ARE some translation errors for sure. I have studied them as well. BUT nothing so big that the charater of God is lost. Also, as I alwasy say :ONLY the original texts are inspired and totally accurate. (inerrant ). All subsequent tranlations ( including english text we have today ) must be taken/compared if there are doubts, checked against background data, history..etc...

Regarding homosexuality: Those who say it is OK have never really read the Bible with an open mind- and cross reference and done a study. It is VERY clear to majory of Christians that the Bible says "The Pratice of homosexuality is a Sin, just like gossip!".

:unsure:

Psioni, I think a molested child knows more than enough about the world. Besides, I think God is being a bit unfair expecting somebody to believe when He let them down. What did the molested child do to be molested? Original sin? I don't think the punishment quite matches the crime.

you seems to have misunderstood, or I am not clear.

Original sin or the sin of the child has NOTHING to do with the molesting!

I was ONLY saying that ALL are sinners in God's eyes.

So there's always a chance that you're fucked Psioni? I mean just because you say you are a believer doesn't mean God will think so when your time of judgement comes.

right.

Look at the works of a person to be sure. ( even then, we will not be 100% correct, some times.).

That is why it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of God!

@psioni

I know I said I am pulling out of the thread, but I do have a question, which i hope you will answer me, and I promise to leave it at that (a question on my part).

If the only way to be saved is through Jesus, then what was the way to be saved before Jesus?

I mean, people then where still sinners since they are also descended from Adam and Eve, but what could they have done in order to be saved?

If they could do something, it must have been something else then believing in Jesus. (what?)

And if it was good then, why isn't it good now?

If the answer is there was nothing they could do, it strikes me VERY odd that god would permit ages upon ages of humans to be born and be doomed to hell, with nothing that they can do about it...

Although this needs a longer explanation I will try to make it short, since I have no time right now.

Before Jesus, there was the LAW of the Jews, the Law of nature...

As far as I know and studied, All those before Jesus were/will be judged by how they lived out the "law" that is written in their heart. i.e. kind of conscience. Not only that, the Jews had the 10 commandments, under which they will be judged. This being said, I cannot be 100% sure if I've got it right, so I will keep that open.

Basically they were judged by "Obeidience to what was revealed" kind of system. If you knew more, you would have been judged more severely..etc...

It is good today as well, but God knew that many will not be ABLE to do it. Can you keep all 10 commandments today? without ever failing...

Even if there WAS nothing they could do, ( which I think is not the case here ), I don't find it odd at all. WHY?

God gave them a garden, told them to take care and told them not to do something. They failed, and everything that followed is the result. So, He is under NO obligation to assist. Again, God is loving enough to Send his Son! Thank God.

:huh:

What do you think while you pray?

Oh Invisible Sky Giants, please don't let these fucking god-botherers post anymore.

LSB: You also forgot to point out the 2/3 of the world's population who, after 2,000 years, still haven't even heard of psioni's SuperDuperSkyGiant much less tell him to go pound sand. Call me demanding, but I expect an all-powerful deity who can stop the Sun in its tracks to be able to let a mere 6 billion people know he exists. He's had more than 5,700 years. That's only 1.7 million people a year who need to be told -- fewer than 5000/day.

There are spammers who reach more than 1.7 million people inside 8 hours. Maybe we should worship them -- their sales pitches are certainly more credible.

woof.

I have a feeling that God is not interested in proud people. ;)

Anyway, what makes you think that God HAS TO save Everyone on earth? He is under NO obligation to do so!

@psioni

Thanks for your answer.

Though to me the whole answer makes no sense, some parts of it make even less sense...

(for example (to your second part of the answer), the ones who did what they did with the garden where only two, not all who followed, and most of which even didn't know about it... so what kind of a fair judge dooms someone with out letting that someone even know that he is doomed and what for...)

But thanks any way. :)

Anyway, what makes you think that God HAS TO save Everyone on earth? He is under NO obligation to do so!

I bet Superman would feel quite pissed off at that comment. He had a pretty crappy job. Flying all over the world (well, Metropolis anyway) saving people and then getting moaned at when he did not turn up on time..

Poor sod...

Flying all over the world (well, Metropolis anyway) saving people and then getting moaned at when he did not turn up on time..

Sounds just like 3 Loins...well, without the flying and saving people bit that is.

@psioni

Thanks for your answer.

Though to me the whole answer makes no sense, some parts of it make even less sense...

(for example (to your second part of the answer), the ones who did what they did with the garden where only two, not all who followed, and most of which even didn't know about it... so what kind of a fair judge dooms someone with out letting that someone even know that he is doomed and what for...)

But thanks any way.

I know you are trying to get out of the discussion...me too...i think it is OK what we have talked so far ( even though our positions probably makes less sense to each other )...

but just to finally answer your doubt:

Since we humans beget other humans, it is so. The responsibility we carry is enourmous.

So what happened in Eden happened and we All have/live through the consequence.

BUT, ! here comes the most interesting part!

THE SAME proxy technique ( you being punished for someone else error ), God used

in the most intelligent way to let Jesus be punished for Our Sins!

You see, if We complain that it is not fair that we suffer for Adam's fault...

until we see that...

Jesus ALSO took OUR PALCE IN PROXY to save us...so that the blame for Adam's fault is no longer valid...

Smart God!

:D

THE SAME proxy technique ( you being punished for someone else error ), God used

in the most intelligent way to let Jesus be punished for Our Sins!

That does not apply to all of humanity before Jesus, and I find it strange (at least) that a divine principle will be time and person and knowledge dependent...

And I think this "proxy guilt" system is only something Satan could have conceived, to make his hell quota... (if to use your "vocabulary"...) and not a loving omnipotent deity...

As you said, our views differ very much, but as long no one hinders the other's right to believe the way he wants, I am ok with any belief.

Jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine

Meltin' in a pot of thieves

Wild card up my sleeve

Thick heart of stone

My sins my own

They belong to me, me

Go Patti, go.

That does not apply to all of humanity before Jesus, and I find it strange (at least) that a divine principle will be time and person and knowledge dependent...

And I think this "proxy guilt" system is only something Satan could have conceived, to make his hell quota... (if to use your "vocabulary"...) and not a loving omnipotent deity...

As you said, our views differ very much, but as long no one hinders the other's right to believe the way he wants, I am ok with any belief.

There was ONE thing ( very important) that came to my mind just now, and I should have told before.

It is also possible to argue from the bible a way the divine principle that is NOT time-bound.

Reason: The Bible says that Jesus, when He was resurected, He went and preached to those who were in Hell. These are the people kept there from the Adam's time until Jesus was born.

I am still studying this position, but I think the Bible says this. So on top of the conscience and the LAW, they also heard Jesus preach to them and probably had a chance to repent.

:rolleyes:

If it was not Judas, it would have been someone else.

Satan inspires many.

Did you not know that Satan completely mis-understood and killed Jesus thinking it will finish the whole issue ?

Well, if Satan inspired Judas, then God is Satan.

Uh oh.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Judas Iscariot, vilified as Christ's betrayer, acted at Jesus' request in turning him over to the authorities who crucified him, according to a 1,700-year-old copy of the "Gospel of Judas" unveiled on Thursday.

Well, if that just don't turn Christianity on its head. I wonder what else they could have gotten wrong. :rolleyes:

Once again you have no idea what your talking about.

@Eurovol

Oh boy, you're stirring up a hornets' nest. Christianity got SO much wrong-- from Jim Bakkers PTL and the New Right way back to the Inquisition and Crusades. And yet... it also got some things right. Grace is a pretty darn good concept. So is a higher order of justice than simple revenge.

Where is the link for the article on the newly discovered Judas scroll?

I was just on another topic doing a bit of Keydeck, Keydecker, Keydecked as you do from time to time and I notice sun-by just posted. I have not looked at the other posts and I am not going to get into an argument about religion but I have to say that I love those dont´be such a naughty boy Eurovol put downs. Especially when done with style, charisma and panache and no nastiness. You are the woman sun-by.

Its all in fun. From Bush authorizing leaks to Jesus walked on ice and Judas was his best bud, I am just having a bit of laugh tonight at the expense of some "nice" people. ;)