Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Mushroom picking in & around Munich

60 posts in this topic

I wanna go mushroom picking on Sunday.

Can anyone suggest suitable foresty type places in the nähe where I might find suitable fungi? Someone has already mentioned the forest at Forstenried which I will check out.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Is that legal here Mr Keydeck? I know in NZ the fuzz get up early and hang out by the popular spots. Apparently it's not illegal to pick them, they're hoping to catch the folk who can't wait and decide to eat them on the way out.

I was under the impression that Liberty Caps grew in fields and meadows rather than woods. Unless you're after "normal" mushrooms, of course (Boletus edulis?).

The "Blue Moonies" we used to pick loved the forest, especially at the base of pine trees. I was somewhat lucky, they grew in my back yard...thanks mum & dad!

Thanks Eurovol. Will look into that.

Ajohnson, I'm looking for any edible types. To be honest though for me it's more about a wander in nature with a purpose.

Basically want to find a load, bring 'em home and sort the edibles from the nastys. A pleasant way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Perlacher Forst is beautiful and reachable by U Bahn

Then definitely hit the woods around Oberschleisheim and if you don't find any shrooms, then there is a great biergarten at the Schloß to find sauteed mushrooms and a nice beir to wash'em down with. ;)

Which reminds me, the paths heading from the northern most part of the Englisher Garten towards Garching are also a nice damp and wooded place to search. And there is the biergarten in old Freimann where all the horsey peeps ride up to to eat, drink and be merry. :P

Then definitely hit the woods around Oberschleisheim and if you don't find any shrooms, then there is a great biergarten at the Schloß to find sauteed mushrooms and a nice beir to wash'em down with.

Sounds like a top plan. Cheers. Is that the Schloß Lustheim?

These replies made my day :D

Stoners of Toytown, unite!!!

He's just looking for something to cook FFS, not to get high.

I'm looking for any edible types.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, thanks for clearing that up ;) silly boy:P

I used to go mushroom hunting with my mom and grandma in TN. We were mainly looking for morels (aka dry land fish - it's a Southern thing). They are quite tasty and can be used in a number of recipes. Anyway, I have yet to stumble upon any here in Germany during my numerous aimless wanderings in the the woods near my house. I have found some others, but don't know if they would be fit to eat. anyway, enough rambling...

If you find a spot with morels, let me know. :P

On another note, I know a great place where you can find snipes, if interested, let me know and I can organize a snipe hunt. :ph34r:

Funny...just found this when googling for morels in Germany...

"German folklore attributes the origin of morels to the Devil. Offended by a very wrinkled old woman, he transformed her into this mushroom. Ever since, calling a woman a morel in Germany has been a major insult."

Seriously, not looking for specific types, will check out anything I find.

Will keep an eye out for Morels now that I know what they look like...

post-8-1127381147.jpg

...and snipes...

post-8-1127381163.jpg

Google is your friend!

If anyone is wondering what a Snipe Hunt is, click the link.

I feel that I should warn you about the woods around Untershcleisheim near the old airport. :unsure:

A secretary here at work was mushroom hunting with her dog when they happened upon the ghost of an American pilot who had been shot down in WWII. Happing hunting! ;)

@ keydeck - Not the snipes I was referring to...eurovol might be familiar with the type of snipes I would send you hunting for.

But seriously, if you do happen upon some morels, please let me know. Also, I could give you some great recipes to use them in. Maybe I#ll start a cooking thread with a few.

Edit: damn, link added above.