Sandemans New Europe raided by police

96 posts in this topic

Rufmord and Beleidigung are the German legal system’s ultimate Mack-daddy and Sandemans will spare no expense in making you pay.

This is exactly why I'm not calling up the Zollamt. At one point in time, I briefly held a full-time employee position with the company - I don't want them to try and sue me, again.

(and yes, I realise that this is at odds with the username... ;D)

I think calling it a revolution and writing 3/4 of a page of hyperbole isn't a revolution.

And the Zollamt or the State Attorney investigating isn't a revolution either, it's the rule of law.

At the end of the day the question is simple. Did this company break either employment law or tax law, and if so did the violate the rules i.e. Scheinselbstständigkeit, failure to pay proper Gebühren such as Krankenkasse fees on their "employees" etc. ?

If they did, that's going to be a lot of money they will have to pay. It could ruin them. Hard to tell.

This thread neither caused the investigation nor started any kind of revolution. Sandeman's seems to be a pretty awful place to work, whose management is skirting all the laws designed to prevent exploitation, but revolution? Get real.

It's actually not too hard to say, an informal legal opinion already exists (see the frontal 21 piece) and the Zollamt doesn't do raids unless they know they have something.

I think any guide who really cares about their own and their fellow guides well being should heed my advice regarding organizing to take over operations.

New Summary of what's been written thus far. The nearest that can be figured, the following are reasonably established.

1.) Sandeman's was raided in Berlin and Munich by officers of the Zollamt as confirmed by Dave O., who is in Charge of the German division of Sandeman's (confirmed by company employee Marcin W. and company divisional head Dave O.).

2.) The company does some sort of weird 1 euro fee to avoid proper taxes, it is unclear if this is problematic/ legal (confirmed by company employee Marcin W.).

3.) Dave O. offered company representation to freelance guides to prove they were not freelance so the company would not have to pay taxes on their work. Further Dave O. warned employees against speaking with Zollamt officials which can easily be construed as coaching or at least encouraging employees not to cooperate via implied threats (confirmed by company employee Marcin W. and company divisional head Dave O.).

4.) Sandeman's charges the same fee to do tours of Sachsenhausen when it is closed (alleged here, confirmed on their Berlin website).

5.) Sandeman's allegedly got employees in Berlin to sign back dated contracts and statements to the zollamt that they had constructed (alleged on this board).

someone earlier in this discussion asked if this forum appears in the search engine results when sandemans new europe berlin is typed as a search term.

i think that it would be more likely to appear in the search results for sandemans new europe berlin if those who posted to the forum mentioned the keywords sandemans new europe berlin or a similar combination. i'm not saying anything on this topic but, to those of you who want people who might potentially be searching for sandemans new europe to see such discussions, then perhaps mentioning sandemans berlin each time you post might bring it higher up the listings.

and also post regularly if you want such discussions about sandemans new europe berlin to be noticed. i have no intricate idea of all this, but it could be the case. but don't overdo it with repetition repetition, perhaps keep the mentioning to about 5-10% of your posting.

i personally find sandemans new europe, especially in berlin, a fantastic company.

i personally find sandemans new europe, especially in berlin, a fantastic company.

Sniff.. Sniff.. I think I smell a shill..

I think the "owner description" for the Berlin tours on Trip Advisor is pretty interesting. It is completely different than the description for the Munich tours or any of the other cities that Sandemanns offers tours in.

Owner description: Founded in 2003 by Yale University graduate Chris Sandeman, SANDEMANs NEW Europe thrives on a simple concent: Everyone, no matter their budget, should be able to discover Europe through the eyes of an expert.Connecting great guides with smart travelersWe believe in supporting our local communities and are commited to giving a voice to self-employed guides who have chosen Berlin as their home. By ensuring that every native English or Spanish speaking guide represents our unique style of mixing history and story-telling while maintaining their own personality and flair, we've become one of the most popular tour companies in the world. Helping superb independent guides connect with thousands of travelers a day, we provide these local freelancers the possibility to inform and entertain you, and they employ us to spread the news about this great concept.

This is the tour description from Amsterdam:

This tour is a fantastic way to spend 3 hours walking around the core of Amsterdam learning about the city's history and current affairs. The tour guides (different trips, Jo and Leigh) were charismatic, interesting, full of energy, and genuinely wanted you to love their adopted town. Although this tour is billed as free, it is important to remember that if you really enjoy it, give your guide a good tip! They pay a per person fee to the tour group (marketing expenses for example) and then anything they make above and beyond they can keep. So if you are a working person and can afford a decent tip, do it. If you are a student on a budget, don't just walk away without telling the guide this, and even if you can give them 2 or 3 euros, that is going to help the guide break even. If you really can't afford anything, tell them in private! They will understand but if you just walk away after they put their heart and soul into performing for you it makes it harder for them if they don't know if you enjoyed the tour! Seriously, if you can give them a good tip, it helps them keep up the fantastic energy. Checking out the tours in other European cities as soon as possible...it is worth every euro you can afford to give.

@ Moondancer:

One is owner description - Sandeman's New Europe does not write anywhere in their own description that they take a fee from the guide for each person who takes part in their so-called "free" tours - and the other is something that a user has written. I would imagine that also in Berlin, some people who have found out about the Sandemans "method" of taking a fee per person, would write about it. At least, I would have done it if I was an honest person who would have taken their tours and only then having found out that they are not really free tours (On the other hand - if I had been an honest person, and if I would have found out after the tour about a method where people are being told they're going on a free tour, only to find out that the guide is charged for each person joining the tour, I would have left such a positive review. So it might be a case of shilling, indeed-lee-oh.

*Yawn*

Does nobody have any new info on legal developments? Or have the Sandemann family bribed their way out of trouble?

Sniff.. Sniff.. I think I smell a shill..

Why would someone working for Sandemans write a post that would make this entirely negative thread appear higher up the search engine results? Think about it for a second.

My prev comment was in Reff. to:

I personally find sandemans new europe, especially in berlin, a fantastic company.

I guess you're too German to recognise sarcasm, but that one really was pretty obvious under the circumstances.

Since everyone appears to have missed the point of that post, I'll explain it how I see it: Random tourist hears about the free tours offered by said company. They Google "Sandemans tours Berlin" or similar. This thread on a large website appears quite high up the rankings. Tourist clicks on thread, sees what the company is up to, and decides to pay for a proper tour instead. That's why the poster wrote "sandemans new europe berlin" as often as possible: to improve the page ranking of relevant search terms.