Sandemans New Europe raided by police

96 posts in this topic

Let's round up the established facts.

If the posters known as Marcin W. and Dave O. here are who they say they are. We can confirm most all of Arenahombre's account.

We know as well, according to Dave O. that he indeed spoke with employees concerning legal representation and speaking with the Zollamt and Finanzamt in line with what could be called 'coaching'.

We know as well, via Marcin, that the company has, in the case of Munich in the least, given guides trouble when it has come to payment and as well has enacted various measures to seemingly skirt around the law (the 1 euro charges).

Most importantly, we know that an investigation is underway looking at Sandeman's tours in Germany concerning illegal tax and employment practices.

Thank you for the Confirmation, Dave O. and Marcin W.

I'll have you know my name is not a nom de plume and my shit is of the very best quality.

Ah, these Gentlemen again.

Overall their guide turn over is higher than any other company in Munich.

Their ex-employees almost invariably display a very high degree of dissatisfaction.

They have been using this particularly nasty business model here since 2005.

This is the company that used to take people to Dachau at full charge and then pay the 3 Euro fee and stick them on the Memorial Tour, then bring them home.

It is exploitative, even though the guides are not the "lowest and most vulnerable" members of society as they do have 1st world countries to which they can return.

I think after much consideration and personal experience that the State is right and that they cross the line in terms of how they treat their freelancers. I hope the full force of the law is brought to bear upon them.

Let's round up the established facts.

I don't consider most of the stuff I read exclusively from unknown users on Toytown to be established fact.

This is the company that used to take people to Dachau at full charge and then pay the 3 Euro fee and stick them on the Memorial Tour, then bring them home.

thanks for bring this up. Most people have forgotten this.

In Berlin, Sandemans is the only company that takes money from people and sends them to Sachsenhausen on MONDAYS when all the exhibits at the memorial are shut.

No Discounts, eventhough nothing is open except the grounds.

Even when the exhibits are open, they only spend about two hours in the camp.

I heard that several guides stood up and refused to do these tours as they saw it as blatant greed and profiting from the Holocaust. One was "removed from the schedule" on the spot. All of his scheduled tours were given to someone else, as punishment.

Wouldn't this be a perfect example of the difference between the "official" guide relationship with Sandemans and the reality?

Is this not what the Zoll is looking at.

So let's bring it back to the centre people, crimes were committed and BS personal attacks don't get us anywhere

The crimes of Sandemans New Europe are on the table here, not some kind of personal attack forum.

Guest,

Marcin W. and Dave O. are not anonymous. They have put their names out there. Marcin W. is in Charge of New Munich and Dave is in Charge of Germany for Sandeman's New Europe. Anyone abreast of the facts already knows that. These are the two folks from whom the facts list I drew up were collected. I will not entertain this line of discussion further as it seems you are either trolling or not following the message board with any real vigor regarding these topics.

To repeat then:

We know as well, according to Dave O. that he indeed spoke with employees concerning legal representation and speaking with the Zollamt and Finanzamt in line with what could be called 'coaching'.

We know as well, via Marcin, that the company has, in the case of Munich in the least, given guides trouble when it has come to payment and as well has enacted various measures to seemingly skirt around the law (the 1 euro charges).

Most importantly, we know that an investigation is underway looking at Sandeman's tours in Germany concerning illegal tax and employment practices.

Thank you for the Confirmation, Dave O. and Marcin W.

Marcin W. and Dave O. are not anonymous. They have put their names out there.

In fairness, anyone could have created those two users.

They could be genuine or they might not. It's foolish to just assume because they've used a particular name.

Only thing proven is that living organisms perish, and the cock roach survives everything. A bit of irony here.

In Fairness, keydeck, the most likely explanation is the most plausible.

This thread is currently the 3rd most common thing to come up when one searches 'sandemans new europe' on google. It's not very likely that an imposter could stick it out for very long.

Marcin W. and Dave O. are who they say they are and have accidently confirmed all the facts listed below.

Sandemans encourages guides to respond to the investigation in a particuolar way (coaching).

Sandemans was raided by the Zollamt (customs and excise also deals with illegal employment).

Sandemans has caused employees problems in Munich, especially in recieving pay.

Sandemans does strange 1 Euro charges, seemingly to get around taxes.

There is no reasonable doubt to any of this information.

First of all, thank you Keydeck, that is exactly what I was saying. Secondly, I couldn't care if Marcin W. and Dave O. are who they say they are. I had never heard of Sandemans until today. I googled them to see if I could find a reliable source concerning the recent raids and found nothing. That's why I posted that, for me, it isn't verified fact yet.

In Fairness, keydeck, the most likely explanation is the most plausible.

Usually yes, but that doesn't make it fact. It is in the best interests of all concerned to not jump to conclusion and at least keep a somewhat open mind. The internet has a long memory.

Bear in mind also that those of us not directly involved usually don't give a toss, but it does make for interesting reading on a Wednesday.

Bear in mind also that those of us not directly involved usually don't give a toss, but it does make for interesting reading on a Wednesday.

Once again, he says exactly what I was thinking. :)

Even when the exhibits are open, they only spend about two hours in the camp.

two hours in the camp? have u ever given that tour? if you have, then u already know youre lying, if u havnt or havnt taken the tour u have no business commenting.

two hours in the camp? have u ever given that tour? if you have, then u already know youre lying, if u havnt or havnt taken the tour u have no business commenting.

I do lead the tours frequently, and I know for a fact that many Sandeman guides catch up with me before I am finished and they start an hour earlier. It is not the guides fault. I used to work for this ..., and he is constantly hiring new guides that haven't had time to read up enough. The more experienced ones that do the tour quickly are mostly fed up, and they are stressed out because they are constantly being harassed by the company. It is a horrible environment to work in, and you don't have the energy to put your best effort in.

Also running the tours on a monday for the same price as any other day is immoral. I am so happy that the Finanz Amt are finally taking proper action against the company. Sandeman can't be allowed to abuse the system and use these people that only wants to work in Berlin any more.

I know that it will lead to people losing their lively hood, but if you have been here for awhile and know your stuff their are plenty of ways out of this mess, and you will feel so much better after it.

So let's bring it back to the centre people, crimes were committed and BS personal attacks don't get us anywhere

The crimes of Sandemans New Europe are on the table here, not some kind of personal attack forum.

Companies don't commit crimes, people do.

if it is not jarad, then i am truly sorry for the uncanny coincidences... i will owe you a beer or two (3?!) for the embarassment. augustiner am platzl and a few maß of edelstoff should be ok?

Does anyone find it unsurprising that a company with an (alleged) history of exploiting its works offers a beer or two as a settlement against possible libel accusations?