Sandemans New Europe raided by police

96 posts in this topic

OKelly, the company COO came down to Munich and held an "emergency meeting." We were told not to cooperate with the police and he coached us what to say when asked. He told us that the company lawyer would take care of everything, but somehow, if I am a freelancer, I don't see why the company would provide me with quality representation that had my best interests in mind. So, the company is going to provide me with legal representation, to prove that I am a freelancer, when it is in their best interests to show that I am.

There is no libel or slander here, just the facts as to what happened.

Will try to get copy of the inccident report and post.

If that's what they really said then it sounds as if they're asking you to lie to the police - of course you must tell the police the truth and if you were to volunteer that you were instructed by OKelly to lie to them it might get a bit stickier for them.

Everyone just remember the Internet has a long memory..be careful what you say...

Hello,

This is Dave O'Kelly. I just wanted to come on here and clear up some of the things said. I'm not bothered about slander / libel or any of that as has been mentioned on here, but just on a personal level I wanted to say that there are some things on here that are inaccurate.

It's a small thing, but it wasn't exactly an "emergency meeting" - it was happening anyway.

More importantly, though, I'm sorry but I absolutely did not say not to cooperate with the police or any official. The only thing I wanted to (and feel that I did) get across was that if someone is asked questions, they could answer if they wanted to but didn't have to. I then simply said it would be a risk to sign off on something based on a misunderstanding or a problem with translation which might later turn out to be accidentally false. But, again, it was just my personal opinion and obviously the decision lies with each individual.

I won't post anything again on here, but just wanted to set that part straight as it involved me personally.

Thanks

mr/mrs arena hombre

i have no idea who you were but as you have written your email to make it look like i myself am writing this i have decided to reply. (managing to find an old login account from when i first arrived in munich 3 years ago) although your profile states of irish descent seems to try and blame another, and the fact that your name is in spanish appears to make you a mix of the three people who witnessed the "raid"

the people in that room with the meeting with dave o kelly from sandemans amount to just a handful of people. as all of the people in that room i consider to be great friends, people whom i have been working with for a long time, and whom i respect and trust, my only conclusion is that you were not in that room.

dave's comments on a particular subject were directed towards me, and not the way that is portrayed here, and the way your words have been written, it makes it look like i (marcin) am writing as arenahombre (terrible reference) when concerning the legal representation to questions from the german tax people. dave has responded to this email/forum chat and what he stated (that he said in his reply) is correct, and that is what he stated to me in the meeting.

secondly, only 2 people were in the office, or even met the tax people here in munich, and both are two trusted collegues, and the only other person who even had contact with the tax people was me (at another location)

i find it very strange that Toytown would even be some sort of forum to discuss something like this, strange that people who would wish to stir the barrel would make it look like other people were writing messages, and strange that someone in that meeting room would try and make it look like i am trying to say things that i am not. i have issues with the company that i am working with, as have many of the other guides, but i would never use Toytown, and its members who have nothing whatsoever to with newmunich tours, to make some sort of statement. i prefer to speak with people personally if there is some sort of issue...

also, there was no pepper spray, no tazers and other such nonsense. just the typical german mentality of please fill out this form or another and we will contact you later.

whoever you are please at least have the decency to address the many avid readers of Toytown with some sense of truth. if you were in that meeting, then please email me privately telling me which of my friends you are, and i will happily eat these words and delete this post.

yours with sincerity

peace and unity

Marcin

Sandemanns New Europe should consider themselves lucky that offering boring tours that are less informative than your average department store receipt isn't also a crime.

That Marcin is now stepping in and defending certain of the company's activities in such a bizzare manner, is clearly due to him feeling threatened that Dave and Chris would come after him legally. Therefore, I would take what he says with a grain of salt as well.

I would still trust the original account of events from the original poster regarding the raids of the offices in Berlin and Munich. Dave is clearly trying to muddy up the waters and Marcin, in his misguided way seems to be helping.

As for the poster going after Sandeman's guides. The problem is, due to Sandeman's allegedly illegal business practices, workers pull out early, meaning that a majority of Sandeman's guides, at any one time, have less than 2 years experience. Compare this to other companies with guides working 8 to 10 years and you get at the heart of the problem. Lack of experience. That said, I think it's unfair to equate that lack of experience with the label 'bad uninformative guide'. Furthermore, if you are upset with Sandeman's allegedly unfair business practices, going after its guides, who unilaterally hate the company, is not the way.

Thank you, by the way, for confirming that the raid actually took place. Most of us thought it was too good to be true.

Ahhhh sweet justice... Now i think alot of us can honestly and truly rest in peace.. If this truly is the case... I wouldnt put it past certain people for this to be utter BS... so lets see.. I will say no more but for all of u that have over the years had something to do with this firm you will totally understand what i mean :)

cheers

Now if only this could happen to a cetain inTERNATIONAL linguISTIC aCADAMY in south west BW.. that would make me happy...

papaidolucas, I am going to assume that your comment was tongue in cheek and that you were able to pick up that my font typo was on purpose... :rolleyes: but if not, it was on purpose. :ph34r:

so i guess arenahombre hasnt bothered to look back at his posting and the resulting replies.

i did ask the person to let me know which one in the room (of the meeting) he/she was, and so, after speaking to the guides concerned, and considering arenahombre hasnt privately mailed me to tell me who he/she is, i can only presume that he is jarad in munich, who hasnt worked for us for more than a year, as all the guides here seem to know/assume that he is the "anony mouse" emailer anyway, and as lisa told him a load of stuff directly after the meeting, and as he was both the first to post on facebook and posting 4 minutes before i was phoned by a lisa to tell me about a Toytown posting in the berlin news part of Toytown (and told by a munich guide... about a berlin forum posting...) i can only presume that for whatever reasons some ex-sandemans guides are trying there best to take down the company. if it is not jarad, then i am truly sorry for the uncanny coincidences... i will owe you a beer or two (3?!) for the embarassment. augustiner am platzl and a few maß of edelstoff should be ok?

i am also pretty sad that no one else in the munich meeting would want to stand up and state that what dave said was the truth. you can be angry at dave and sandemans for whatever reasons you have, but for once, this time it is not the case. you can also interpret whatever dave said in whatever way you like, but the truth is that he said in the meeting rwhat he said in his reply to the first message in this thread. if you were in the meeting you would have also heard me say in very clear terms that i had no interest in a sandemans lawyer and that was the end of the conversation between myself and dave. of course, if you were actually in the room, you would have heard that.

anyone who has worked in newmunich for the past few years will know that i am very vocal in protecting the working conditions for the guides, and have often got myself into quite a lot of problems with the management at times (with both city managers and berlin) but i have always put the guides first.

for the last 2 months i have been tracking (taking many many hours of my time) the guides repeats/commissions that they are owed to them and have helped them all make their bills for both commissions and the €1 prepaid reductions. i have no ideas exactly how many hours it has taken me but i would hazard a guess at way more than 50 hours to get everything done.

i do this because i want to help the guides to get paid. they are my friends, my colleagues and people whom i respect a great deal. they are all great at what they do!

in the last few days i have had a few messages from new munich guides confused at why i was writing stuff on Toytown.

as i have stated before, this was certainly not me.

it is really very sad that someone would want to claim that they were speaking on my behalf as it seems. to all those in the munich meeting, dave was only speaking to me. there was no "us" or "we". i dont give a fuck why you are angry at sandemans, but you are making the guides look shit. be angry at chris sandeman or the company if you like, but the guides here in munich care a lot about what they do, and have a lot of respect for the job. i myself am an experienced guide who will be the first to admit that history is complex and i of course certainly dont know everything about a city, but my speciality is dachau (being memorial qualified and having done over 300 tours to dachau alone) but i can certainly make a good tour (and more so by my fellow long-time munich guides) of munich.

for those of you who dont like sandemans

please dont forget that for some of us it is our job, our way to pay the rent, our only work in a country foreign to us.

grow up

stop acting like a bunch of spoilt fucking children with nothing better to do than make other peoples lives harder than they already are (...)

get out of the homeless shelter that is Toytown and get a life

and for once, use your real name. its quite pathetic the number of people who hide behind "usernames" instead of being proud of what they have to say and therefore stand by what they have to state as fact on the internet. i find it strange that "talonx" would rather trust someone that joins Toytown the same day that he/she makes the first posting, rather than someone who was involved in the whole thing, is quite happy to state his actual name (real name!! oohhh!) and who is not clearly delusional.

yours with a fair bit of sincerity

marcin

www.marcinonabike.com

because i am proud of the things i do and that i stand for.