Dunkin Donuts store full of wasps, unbelievable

117 posts in this topic

A most interesting subject the wasps are.Interestingly only 2 people commented what I mentioned in my post(#17)about the real wasps.Another "fact" is those pesky little beasts don't sting, they bite like the 2 legged wasps from Britain do with sarcasm and a plenty full armada of words.They can be easily collected with a beer bottle.As they are a most interesting creature and like the taste of beer all you have to do is leave a good residue of beer in the bottle and they will drown themselves. THAT WAS WASPS DO.

P.S.I have not encountered wasps (the little ones) at my cottage this year and I was wondering what happened to them.Now I know. All the the wasps are in Germany.Usually I have a hive in my outhouse.REALLY! :D

Gaberlunzi, you're awesome. If I had a prayer of living into my 80s, I'd have sincerely wished I'd end up being like you. You're a very self-actualized person

P.S. Since I'm getting all my affairs in order and wrapping things up, I've wondered for years if your user name was based upon this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaberlunzie , or if you were, in fact, someone named "Gab(riel) Erlunzi."

I think its the natures way of saying 'Do not eat at Dunkin Donuts' ;)

P.S: I would be disturbed by the food hygiene . Although, depends on the season, one could never tell where these wasps been before. Hence, hard to tell if wasp swamped food is potentially infected.

All the the wasps are in Germany.

Here is a California wasp. They only bother me when I'm trying to eat outside. From this photo in my garden, they are somewhat attractive [or maybe I'm just weird]. One simply needs an attitude adjustment. ;) Chocky is correct in saying that all bugs are important in the ecosystem. Biodiversity, people! Look into it. It should be as hot a topic as global warming is.

post-33917-13156705312245_thumb.jpg

Gaberlunzi, you're awesome. If I had a prayer of living into my 80s, I'd have sincerely wished I'd end up being like you. You're a very self-actualized person

P.S. Since I'm getting all my affairs in order and wrapping things up, I've wondered for years if your user name was based upon this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaberlunzie , or if you were, in fact, someone named "Gab(riel) Erlunzi."

Getting into the eighties has its advantages as it creates a lot of excuses, but also has its challenges...like forgetfulness.just forget about that golden age. It is not golden, despite its price.

I do have a scot affiliation via my grandchildren who are of mixed blood.German,Slav,Scottish and good looking.

My TT name is purely coincidental.

I'm sure everyone who's lived here for a while now has already noticed that the wasps don't just enjoy a good Dunkin Donut, they also enjoy just about any bakery around here as well. I walk into any one of my local bakeries and I can count on bees and wasps crawling the food. The bees don't bother me as much as the wasps do, but I've come to the conclusion that this scene has probably played itself out for the last millennium here. If I understand the habitual Germans the way I think I do, then it probably won't ever change. Look on the bright side, at least the swarming wasps keep the swarming flies away.

To the OP... I think the employee at Dunkin Donuts was being dead serious with you when she answered your question.

This morning, the wasps were swarming the cakes, schnecken and other sweet stuff. I choose croissants since they were left relatively alone. German boyfriend thinks its just part of summer and would still choose the cakes, even when he sees the wasps crawling around on them. But when we go camping, he thinks it is gross to use a stick, whittled and charred, to toast marshmallows...

I agree. But it is like religion. The people inherit strange traits and illogical opinions from their parents.

Wasps on donuts is just wrong....at the very least it is an unattractive way to display food.

But then 90% of anything connected with food over here, supermarket or restaurants, is crap.

well a brief search for diseases carried or caused by the monsters pulled up frequent mention of them being considered disease carriers and unhygienic. Here's one that I found which says that studies have proven that just about all wasps carry fecal bacteria, bacteria from carrion or excrement on their bodies and their stingers. They say that the reason some stings are more painful and cause complications is because they were from particularly 'dirty' wasps. Another article also talks about the danger of disease from either wasp stings or contact with food because if they have been on a animal cadaver previously, they carry bacteria on their antenae and legs. He says that backeries must take precautions to avoid food poisoning from salmonella or e-coli. I put the German below for those who can read it.

"Die Wespen schwärmen aus - und der Mensch hat guten Grund, besonders vorsichtig zu sein. Wie in wissenschaftlichen Studien nämlich festgestellt wurde, haben fast alle ausfliegenden Wespen Krankheitserreger, Fäkalkeime von Misthaufen, Tierkadavern oder Exkrementen am Körper und auch am Stechapparat haften."

"Eine Gefahr seien die Tiere vor allem, weil sie durch einen Stich oder den Kontakt mit Lebensmitteln Krankheitserreger übertragen können, sagt Dr. Michael Heitmann, Leiter des Veterinäramtes. „Wenn die Wespe an einem Tierkadaver war, trägt sie Keime an ihren Fühlern und Beinen.“ Deshalb müssten etwa Bäckereien entsprechende Vorrichtungen treffen, um eine Lebensmittelvergiftung durch Salmonellen und Kolibakterien zu verhindern."

He says that backeries must take precautions to avoid food poisoning from salmonella or e-coli.

But as we've seen, probably 90% of them don't.

Yes JE, there are historical reasons for this. For years - years - after the war, their donuts were covered in ashes but they had nothing else to eat. Wasps, schmaps...

So, like I said earlier, I am like dessa as far as wasps are concerned these days. But, to be honest, I do have a history of eating any old shit whatsoever when hungry. So that might have helped. It is also worth bearing in mind that European Wasps are a “declared” noxious pest in Australia and, as such, are demonised by the Authorities to such an extent that, given the numbers of the little buggers over here, I fully expected German civilisation to collapse in the first couple of years I was here. Before I got used to them.

Having said that, the legal situation regarding potential insect contamination of foodstuffs in the European Union is, on the first reading, very clear:

http://www.ourfood.com/HACCP_ISO_9000.html

Hopefully, my link works. It is a (very) long analysis of European food safety regulations and the practical application of the HAACP system as they pertain, in part, to Germany. Personally, I feel some of the criticisms are justified and some are not. As is always the case with academic analyses of this kind, they are done in the “perfectness” of an academic reality. Things are a good deal different at the coal-face. But, the analysis does mention the legal necessity for “fly-screens” and specifically mentions wasps as a pest that must be controlled. It also links to some court decisions and further reading.

Things to bear in mind:

- This article is in no way legally binding. Just an analysis.

- People really don´t want to know how expensive food would become if every aspect of HAACP, ISO 9000 and EU Food Safety Regs was strictly adhered to.

- Most regulars here know that I think food quality and food safety in Germany never really emerged from the middle ages. That is my personal bias.

- The courts and regulators in Germany will, by and large, take the side of producers and retailers. Nothing unusual in that. If they consistently took the side of the consumer, no-one would be interested in producing and selling food.

- It is my personal opinion (if somewhat “informed”) that Germany fails itself, on a regular basis, when it comes to doing anything substantial to improve both the quality and safety of food here. For pretty much the same reasons why the majority here believe the education system is awesome and you will never find beer better than here. Anywhere. Ever.

But as we've seen, probably 90% of them don't.

to the person that wrote this. So if you have 20 wasps on your donut then 2 of them are covered in poo :-)

Germans are so weird...

I have to modify that:preissn are so weird...

I think there is a little phobia in the air.Wasps are the same here as they are in Germany and I have not gotten sick when they bit me.Wasps are only active for a month or two so what is the big problem? Give them a half empty bottle of beer and they drown themselves.Wasps are better workers than bees if you ever watched them building their hive and they even don't use it to winter there.Wasps stay in the ground over winter.

As for wasps in a backery, that is news to me.I hang out in a backery and Konditorei when I was a kid and never ever saw a wasp there.So liebe Leute, let those little beasties live, their life is short enough as it is.