Diesel cars vs. petrol (Benzin)

59 posts in this topic

Hi All:

I am planning to buy a used car this coming month and I have not make my mind between a diesel or regular gasoline engine. Could you please advice what will be a good choice considering that I will probably do about around 20,000 km a year. Need to explore new places you know.

post-3034-1127286587.jpg

Thanks

Diesel every time. Diesels are more economical (especially cruising long distances at 130+mph), diesel is cheaper (although road tax for a diesel is slightly it'll pay for itself in no time), diesel engines last longer and nowadays performance is comparable with that of a Petrol. I can't for the life of me think why people drive petrol cars unless they've got money to burn.

i think diesel is more effcient and burns slower but mite cost slightly more.

Diesel cars do cost a grand or so more (brand spanking new I mean) but they will more than make up for that during their lifetime. They are more efficient. Diesel doesn't burn 'slower', whatever that means, but [speccy twat mode/on] diesel engines have a higher compression ratio (usually about 1:16 compared to 1:8 for a petrol) which ignites the fuel without the need for a spark plug despite it being a heavier oil and less prone to explosive combustion [speccy twat mode/off]. I imagine this will be of no great concern to you.

no breakers, coil or h.t. leads can go wrong on a Diesel, they are better in the cold and damp conditions. Diesel doesnt use spark plugs, so thats one less expense.

Turbo charging a diese engine car is a lot easier than a petrol engine, as its easier to push as much air as required into the compression area.

If Petrol engine is started when the weather is cold it will need a lot of fuel to make it run properly, the difference for cold -> warm for a diesel is not that much, so for short trips a Diesel is better than a petrol as well.

Disadvantage of a diesel is that it will have less power than a equivalent petrol engine, unless you buy a turbo diesel engine, that will give same power (well near enough) and better fuel economy.

Diesel's sound like tractors <- enough said :D

Diesels good for towing as all torque is produced at low revs but they are crap for a 0-60 mph sprint (or 0-100 km/h :P).

Diesels are not as good for handling as a petrol as the engine itself weighs more, thus affecting the steering as well, so make sure you get one with Power Steering if you do get one.

Personally I would for a petrol, probably cos I am addicted to speed :P

But I hope that helps you mate

Personally, I can't stand diesel. The stuff stinks – you have to wash your hands thoroughly after filling the tank. Even worse than the smell is the noise - the engine sounds like a gasoline engine that is just about ripe for scrap – I mean it's simply not pleasant/esthetical.

As for performance: Nowadays on the Autobahn I come across the odd diesel limo that has made it into the 250 km/h league – nonetheless, all I have to do is wobble with my toe to put them in their place :)

Diesel is fine for commercial vehicles I guess, but no way I would put up with that noise/smell in my private car.

post-112-1127287987.jpg

also check if the diesel car you are looking at is suitable for Bio-diesel. Some are , some need slight modifications. Bio-Diesel is around 20 cents a litre cheaper than standard diesel.

They did a little maths on an edition of "Top Gear" in the UK. They reckoned there was nothing much in it, whether buying new or 2nd hand. The diesels all cost x percent more than the equivalent petrol, and whilst you get better fuel economy it takes quite a long time to get the extra cash back if you do average mileage.

I know they are getting better all the time - but I wouldn't fancy a diesel myself - they sounds like taxis.

yeah, the maths here are slightly different, since fuel tax on diesel is considerably lower here than in the UK but vehicle tax (Kfz-Steuer) higher (than petrol cars, whereas in the UK they are the same). Service costs are higher than petrol engines in both markets.

This means the fixed costs (Kfz-Steuer, servicing, higher purchase price) make diesels costly for low mileage drivers.

The last time I did a calc, the break-even came out at about 15-16.000 km per year. After that you are laughing all the way to the bank.

Bear in mind that the road tax (Kraftfahrzeugsteuer) on diesel engine is 50% more than petrol. On a 2 litre engine that's €150 a year extra. Even with 25cents a litre price difference that's a lot to make up. Although the diesel engine is principally simpler, new developments such as common rail injection and turbo complicates things, such that diesels usually need more regular trips for service...

If considering costs alone, the usual break-even point for petrol over diesel is around 20-25,000km a year... The ADAC publishes an annual comparison over 450 similar diesel/petrol models. If youare an ADAC member you can download it here. If you're not a member tell me the car model you are looking at and I'll dig out the comparison

YL6

Ein Blick in den aktuellen ADAC-Kostenvergleich zeigt, dass sich bei einigen Fahrzeugtypen die Anschaffung der häufig etwas teureren Dieselvariante schon ab einer Laufleistung von 10 000 bis 15 000 Kilometern pro Jahr lohnen kann...

bei Ford Focus, VW Passat, Opel Astra und vielen weiteren Modellen finden sich Versionen, bei denen die Dieselvariante immerhin ab 15 000 Kilometern Jahreslaufleistung die preiswertere Lösung sein kann.

Source: Sparen.de

dammit, never got a photo when i notched up 279 on the a92 past landshut.

anyway imvho, i have a spanking new turbo diesel japmobile and it rocks. of course it's not comparable with a badboy petrolhoover over 0-60 but that's fine with me as i'm past those days (well, that's a lie as i'm working on the wife to sort out something tasty as i now have la famille voiture).

anyway, costs less to run and unless you're planning on doing some serious alpine trials, go with a diesel. oh and if you get yourself a proper sound system, it sounds like, well, a mobile sound system. tractor? never hear it.

So sounds like for Netspeeds 20,000 per year mileage there is probably very little in it from a cost view. So he can get a petrol and avoid smelly diesel fill-ups, sounding like a taxi, wider choice of 2nd-hand cars, and probably better performance?

this one is very easy maths, JE.

assuming that the break-even is 15tkm, anything above that point benefist the diesel and comes directly from the lower fuel cost, higher efficency:

assuming 5.000km above the break-even (so yearly 20tkm):

for the diesel:

7 litres per 100km for 5000km with fuel costing 1,13 = total costs of 396 euros

for the petrol:

9,5 litres per 100km for 5000km with fuel costing 1,3 = total costs of 618 euros.

A diesel saves you 222 euros per year. (And i think these calcs are conservative and lean in favour petrol, since i didn't check current prices)

Depends on how your definition of "very little" is.

wider choice of 2nd-hand cars,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well apart from most of the arguments you raised being outdated (taxi sound, smelly etc) this one is not true in Germany. New sales of diesels are now higher than (I think, or at least approx. the same) as petrols. therefore second hand choice will be similar.

Best not to base your decision on factors that based on the UK market, where diesel sales are much lower and out-dated stereotypes.

I haven't owned a petrol engined car since I had Rover 623SLi in 1997. I will be going back to petrol briefly next summer but only because you can't get the Z4 with a diesel engine, lol. After that it will be back to my beloved diesels.

Diesel is fine for commercial vehicles I guess, but no way I would put up with that noise/smell in my private car.

Not true at all, I've been running a diesel for the last 8 months or so and I'd never go back. I drove a Audi A3 for a week and a Ford Mondeo for 4 weeks before I got my current car they were as quiet and as powerful as the petrol A4 I drove for 2,5 years. The diesel is by far cheaper to run.

Some diesels are a bit noisier than the Petrol equivalent (Mazda premecy for example) but that is unusual.

If you can get ahold of the latest ADAC issue they did a major comparison Diesel vs Petrol would be worth reading. Small cars break even is 4000k per year larger cars 12.000 per year.

Top Gear did a comparison VW Lupo Petrol 45mpg Diesel 75 mpg!!!

I think that says it all!

If your really serious rent a car for a week or two.

Personally I'd never go back to petrol.

Simple answer for me - if it's just an A-B type of motor and you're not an 'enthusiast' I'd take a Diesel, but if I was buying a car that I actually wanted to enjoy just for driving's sake, I'd go for a big capacity petrol engine (or one of those mad bastard VTEC engines - not a turbo, I don't like turbo charging - I'm a purist).

Insert photo of speedo here.