Ummeldung - change of address

23 posts in this topic

Short story:  I waited 2 years, and had to pay an 80EUR fine.
They contacted me after I updated my address, as the address update was required to renew my work visa.

They sent a letter stating I could provide my "I accept guilt for this" or "I am not guilty <please provide reason>" in preparation for a potential court date to evaluate the case.

It was totally my fault so I just filled out the response online, sent i over, admitted guilt, and stated I'd be happy to pay.

It was an 80EU fine with ~25EU of administrative costs stacked on top; so about 100EU.

The fear or paranoia of working with the offices (especially if you aren't fluent in German) is pretty much fictional and inside your own head.  Hopefully this adds some peace of mind, just get back on board with the documentation and bureaucracy and you'll start to feel confident about things.  Cheers & best wishes.

Well that's odd. I changed addresses but dragged my feet in getting registered (time conflicts with work, needing to set an appointment with slots always filled, the works.)

Within three months, I received a notice from my employer that the finanzamt had bumped me up to the Class 6 tax bracket because they noticed a discrepancy my addresses and determined I was no longer at my old residence. I could only go back to Class 1 after updating my address with the Einwohnermeldeamt. I wonder how no one noticed anything for 2 years with you (or how you were fined but I wasn't)

Here in continental Europe the law requires you to report your address to either the local municipal authorities, e.g. Germany and Italy, or the police, e.g. Belgium and Spain, just to name a few. I.A.W., it's not just Germany. Curiously, France has no such system.

Residential registration is essentially an administrative instrument but I still fail to understand why it should also be illegal (not just virtually  impossible) to live under the radar. I guess the state here in continental Europe likes to be able to track and trace everyone living here.