German sausage rolls

59 posts in this topic

Or in Germany, strangely enough, as "Berner Würstchen". Bernese people, and Swiss people generally, won't know them as that though, it's a German thing.

That's because they aren't named after Bern but after Erich Berner, the Austrian guy who invented them. It's primarily an Austrian thing, not a German one.

As for the novelty of Würstchen im Schlafrock and other sausage rolls... basically, that's just rediscovered 1950s party food. Pretty much the only thing at a German 1950s/60s party dinner table that wasn't smothered in mayo in some way. Or consisted entirely of meat.

Ah, very illuminating, thanks Kato! As a Bernese (well, at least on paper and by birth), I did wonder where that name came from. :)

post-9147-13609341585966_thumb.jpg

Home made Sausage rolls and Pork pies.

The sausage rolls are so easy to make.

German pork mince chopped a little finer in a blender,finely chopped fryed onion,chopped sage leaves,salt,loads of pepper and a spoonfull of flour.mix it all together.Use shop bought puff pastry sheets.Add the filling to a sheet of pastry,roll together,brush with egg and whack in the oven for 30 mins.

The pork pies are from a Hairy bikers recipe (just google it)

I do not miss eating pies,pasties or sausage rolls.. I just bake them myself!!

Yum yum yum. How far from Munich to Bielefeld? Road trip to Bielefeld anyone? :D

They had them at the bakery of our local Marktkauf. And right next to it they offered free checks for cholesterol as a broad hint.

Yorkshire lad 6 has posted on the Lidl thread a link how to make english dishes with German ingredients.One should look in to that maybe.

And there is a shedload of 'Lidl' threads. Mik, maybe you could put up a link to the post.

kludgie, I think we know about Lidl all right. It's YorkshireLad's words of wisdom on the subject that we seek. As so oft before.

Mind, I've had good results with Aldi grobe Bratwurst skinned and squished up with dried sage, thyme, pepper and a dash of allspice and used as filling with the Aldi/Lidl lower-fat puff pastry. (Yes folks, the use of lower-fat pastry in combination with the greasy sausage filling magically cleanses the sausage rolls of all that fatty guilt and allows you to eat twice as many without so much as a pang of remorse, laughing merrily as the buttons ping off your waistband.)

Edit: Note to self: read links properly before tearing posters off a strip. Thanks, kludgie. As you were and greens all round.

I've had good results with Aldi grobe Bratwurst skinned and squished up with dried sage, thyme, pepper and a dash of allspice and used as filling with the Aldi/Lidl lower-fat puff pastry.

My (German) wife makes good sausage rolls in a similar way - but don't forget to add a fair amount of bread (soaked in water & then squeezed) to as to come close to the consistency of UK sausage rolls.

We actually add a small amount of chopped dried apricots to the filling (also when we stuff the turkey). I took a large box full of sasusage rolls into the office for "Christmas breakfast" and after the usual skeptical looks they wolfed almost the lot.

...assuming the consistency of British sausage rolls is something you think is worth aiming for. Horses for courses, I suppose. (Ho ho.)

It's time for my annual making of sausage rolls. Got me wondering whether there is any news on the Munich sausage roll front? House of Pies is long gone, as is British Allsorts I believe.

Our local Rewe periodically has the Geflügelrolle which, I have to say, are really damn good. 

7 minutes ago, theGman said:

Our local Rewe periodically has the Geflügelrolle which, I have to say, are really damn good. 

Only periodically?  I'm addicted to them things.  I can get them here at NP (cheaper version of Edeka), Penny, BackFactory and some of the Rewe's.

4 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Only periodically?  I'm addicted to them things.  I can get them here at NP (cheaper version of Edeka), Penny, BackFactory and some of the Rewe's.

Yea, they seem to come and go for some reason. I guess the demand isn't quite there. Our Penny had them for a while but one day they disappeared and never came back. If there is any supermarket around me that would stock them indefinitely then I'll be shopping there every week.