German sausage rolls

59 posts in this topic

It isn't a north Germany thing, my granny made 'Würstchen im Schlafrock' beginning of the 1980's for every trip we made.

She used puff pastry and Wiener Würstchen. I now use the small sausages and cut the puff pastry in stripes. It keeps AquaticMeringue happy and I prefer them to the UK sausage rolls.

Ian, I guess they just slipped under your radar here in the south. They've always been around.

We obviously have a totally different meaning of what a sausage roll is.

A sausage (especially a wiener) in pastry is not a sausage roll as I know it.

I just looked at the 1st couple of pages of your google search and some of the recipes even recommend using croissant dough.

Ian, I guess they just slipped under your radar here in the south. They've always been around.

Thanks. I thought my snack-scanning abilities were top notch, but it seems not. Or maybe I don't frequent such places. I'm not a regular public transport or Tankstelle user.

Here's a picture from Greggs.co.uk

post-7126-13146178967754.jpg

But on a recent trip to Bremen in the north of Germany, I saw and naturally bought a "Geflügel" sausage roll ..

Now today in Munich's Ostbahnhof I saw them on sale here! In Munich! I bought one, and it was tasty!

I'm sure this is a relatively new phenomena for Munich. Does this mean that the Germans are waking up to the pastry clad delights of UK cooking? Will they start selling pasties too?

My local Backwerk have been doing them for as long as I can remember. The one at Ostbahnhof does them too.

Ok sorry for rehashing this thread but I'm really craving this and can't seem to find any bakeries in Munich that sell these "würstchen im schlafrock" = "pig in a blanket". Help ya'll.

Where I come from, pigs in blankets are sausages baked into bread.I used to make them with little cocktail sausages wrapped in croissant dough. Mmmmmmmm.

Yep. In the U.S, "Pig in a blanket" is sausage wrapped in a croissant or something similar. Is there a place or bakery in Munich that sells something like this? I believe they call it "würstchen im schlafrock". http://www.google.de/#q=w%C3%BCrstchen+im+schlafrock&hl=en&tbo=d&biw=1920&bih=923&fp=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&cad=b

Not sure what EvilDudette means, I've only ever heard of sausages wrapped in bacon being referred to as "sausages wrapped in bacon". Or in Germany, strangely enough, as "Berner Würstchen". Bernese people, and Swiss people generally, won't know them as that though, it's a German thing.

"Pigs in a blanket" is used where I grew up for sausages wrapped in some type of dough, so basically a sausage roll.

@ VonDiesel: Check your local bakeries, lots of them have these. Often separate from their bread and sweet stuff, together with other savoury baked goods.

@frollein: I've yet to find them in any of the bakeries in my local area. Maybe someone in Munich knows of a specific bakery that serves them. Maybe they're not that popular here in Bavaria. I remember up North, wasn't so hard to find them.

This is interesting. When I was a kid, pigs in a blanket were always small sausages wrapped in pancakes. Anything else was a sausage roll. But I see that if you google pigs in a blanket, the pastry type comes up.

@westvan: Maybe it's prepared differently depending on which part of the country we grew up. Never seen one wrapped in pancake. Maybe at Waffle House or IHOP while traveling down South. :D

I thought that maybe the evildude was confusing them with pigs/angels/devils on horseback, but a google of that turns out to be figs/oyster/dates wrapped in bacon, not a sausage among 'em.

Sausages in pancakes sounds fabulous, maybe with a dribble of maple syrup? Drooling...

You guys are not helping with the craving. :P . Back to the original question. Any help from someone in Munich would be nice. :)

The tip about Ostbahnhof or petrol stations is worth exploring. They tend to be offered as "snacks to go" at places like train stations etc.

Now I'm craving them as well... but I'll make my own. You're welcome to stop by if you're in the area. ;)

@westvan: Maybe it's prepared differently depending on which part of the country we grew up. Never seen one wrapped in pancake. Maybe at Waffle House or IHOP while traveling down South.

Yeah, that's where we mostly had them, at pancake places or those "open all day family friendly restaurants".

My mum did make excellent sausage rolls with loose sausage meat wrapped in pastry, but she just called them "sausage rolls".

Sausages in pancakes sounds fabulous, maybe with a dribble of maple syrup? Drooling...

Maple syrup for sure, the more the better. We used to get three or four on a plate. All wrapped up cozy like, pat of butter and a big slosh of syrup.

@westvan: I should just open my own diner. Been craving that Waffle House comfort food for the past week. Don't know if Germans would like it though. Some things I just miss back home. :(

I know American's call sausage rolls pigs in blankets - I was just pointing out that that particular phrase means something different to Brits.

English pigs in blankets : My link

Try on google.co.uk and there's a lot of bacon :D

My local Penny has English style pigs in blankets sometimes, they're called Berner Würstchen, and they're yummy :P