German sausage rolls

59 posts in this topic

Living in Munich we from the UK obviously miss eating pies, pasties and sausage rolls.

But on a recent trip to Bremen in the north of Germany, I saw and naturally bought a "Geflügel" sausage roll near the Hauptbahnhof. What a treat! I'd never seen them on sale in the south!

It wasn't the same as a proper UK sausage roll. But it was fine. They even had them with melted cheese on. Although it was not real cheese.

Now today in Munich's Ostbahnhof I saw them on sale here! In Munich! I bought one, and it was tasty!

I'm sure this is a relatively new phenomena for Munich. Does this mean that the Germans are waking up to the pastry clad delights of UK cooking? Will they start selling pasties too?

Well obviously there is an underground movement of secretly baking sausage rolls. The resistance movement, the escape committee and all that. But this is the first time I've seem them out in the open. What if Gerry spots them?

Mmmmmmm sausage rolls, I miss them so much, still trying to find the "perfect sausage" over here...

I make my own sausage rolls using Bockwürste and puff pastry, they taste good and my kids love them, but they aren't as good as the ones back home, but they, we take what we can get, right ;)

But on a recent trip to Bremen in the north of Germany, I saw and naturally bought a "Geflügel" sausage roll near the Hauptbahnhof. What a treat! I'd never seen them on sale in the south!

The shop in the Esso tankstelle by my place sells them.

They have them in Plärrer too (Nürnberger U-Bahn). Like you say, sub-Greggs, but beggars can't be choosers!

It begs the question: how many decades do I need to stay here before the locals cotton on to Balti pies?

Living in Munich we from the UK obviously miss eating pies, pasties and sausage rolls.

You are in Munich? Erm. House of Pies dude, House of Pies. I had some of their sausage rolls, albeit via British Allsorts, and they were great.

You are in Munich? Erm. House of Pies dude, House of Pies. I had some of their sausage rolls, albeit via British Allsorts, and they were great.

Jeebus, that's like the TT equivalent of gaining a star from that fat bald bloke with the body made of white tires.

OK, who has a recipe for sausage-meat?

No idea how the recipes taste, but found this on line, will try getting round to testing them sometime soon

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=37305

Well obviously there is an underground movement of secretly baking sausage rolls. The resistance movement, the escape committee and all that. But this is the first time I've seem them out in the open. What if Gerry spots them?

Ian, my link had 74,700 Google hits for 'Würstchen im Schlafrock'. In German. Gerry is way ahead of you, boy.

Hide your sausage rolls down your trousers and then slip them down your leg when you're in the exercise yard or something like that.

Katrina's recipe is in the thread I linked to above. I can personally vouch for her sausage rolls; they're amazing!Here's the post

Awww thanks *blush*

The Piment (allspice) is key.

Now a new age has dawned though:

post-356-13143493347092.jpg

The homemade Scotch egg.

Easier than you think.

I didn't use all those herbs, instead I used grobe rohe Bratwurst from Lidl, a little onion, dried thyme, salt and paprika. If I'd had allspice (Piment) that would have gone in too. Make sure the sausage is well sealed around the egg, that's all.

My question was if sausage rolls are gaining popularity amongst the Germans here in the South. As it seems the north is different.

Ian, my link had 74,700 Google hits for 'Würstchen im Schlafrock'. In German. Gerry is way ahead of you, boy.

They may all be north German hits. As you don't or didn't see them often in Munich. Are they gaining ground here?

Make sure the sausage is well sealed around the egg, that's all.

CLINGFILM CLINGFILM CLINGFILM.

http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=96722

My question was if sausage rolls are gaining popularity amongst the Germans here in the South. As it seems the north is different.They may all be north German hits. As you don't or didn't see them often in Munich. Are they gaining ground here?

It isn't a north Germany thing, my granny made 'Würstchen im Schlafrock' beginning of the 1980's for every trip we made.

She used puff pastry and Wiener Würstchen. I now use the small sausages and cut the puff pastry in stripes. It keeps AquaticMeringue happy and I prefer them to the UK sausage rolls.

Ian, I guess they just slipped under your radar here in the south. They've always been around.

But on a recent trip to Bremen in the north of Germany, I saw and naturally bought a "Geflügel" sausage roll near the Hauptbahnhof.

I love them. Really not bad at all. They have sort a of a latticed top. The ones on the right are the Geflügel sausage roll (NOT the traditional Würstchen im Schlafrock next to it) and should be available at any Aral station with a 'Petit Bistro'. Just a question for the experts. If you say the meat in UK more finely minced, why not buy 'feine rohe Bratwurst' instead of the grobe variant? Available from a REWE markt near you, and hardly more expensive. Oh dear, hungry now and it's not quite lunchtime.

post-32009-13146184052957.jpg