Strange English sayings

137 posts in this topic

Hi all,i have just read that we are called the "limeys"because a couple of hundred years ago the exploring sailors were given bottles of lime juice to protect them from scurvy on the long voyages,i found that quite interesting and it made me think about other sayings/names for us,for example why do we say kicked the bucket when somebody dies?can anybody give me an answer and anymore questions out there?

I always thought that Kicked the bucket' came from the fact that when somebody wanted to hang themselves, they stood on a bucket and kicked it away. Not sure if this is correct but that's what I heard years ago.

bobby: a well-read man such as yourself should know your Shakespeare ( especially Henry 1V, 1597 ).

Quotes: Swifter then he that gibbets ( ie hangs ) on the Brewers Bucket. The " bucket " was a wodden frame used to hang animals up by their feet for slaughter.

( information stolen fairly and squarely using some wierdo Google thing!! ).

By the way, do you know why the sport " golf " is called golf? :D

Never had Shakesepeare john but i hoped he knew how to spell wooden :rolleyes: but thanks for the answer much appreciated!golf??

No, much more cynical and old-fashioned... :D ( mind you, yours sounds great! )

Edit: spot on, Lilylou!!!

Yes, I tried to play golf as my boss thought it was a good idea - you know business on the golf course but I failed and my instructor said this to me. I never forgotten it nor have I wither picked up a club or is it a bat :o

ahh got it john "gaming on long fairways"???

I wonder where being " on the game " comes from!!! :D ( ain´t googling that - I´ll get into trouble!!! )

Are ladies´ " drawers " ( wow, that sounds old-fashioned! ) so-called because they were kept in drawers??