Moving to Erlangen

30 posts in this topic

I will be moving to Erlangen for my job next month. This is my first time in Germany. I would really appreciate if someone has information about how the life is there for expats in general. Where to live? Where to hangout? Are there any English bookstores or cinemas? Any English-speaking clubs? What about English-speaking expats? How's the nightlife? What are the monthly expenses like (I am single)? How's the weather in winters (I heard it gets -20 degrees). And of course would like to meet the TTers if any there.

I lived in Erlangen for several years. It is a student town and there are lots of people from Siemens there. I can really go on and on... but maybe it is good I get some more information about you. It is centrally located with only a couple our trip to Munich, 20 min Nuremberg, Bamberg is there, etc. I loved it and it was the best place to integrate. Not sure where you are from, they are use to foreigners. Weather, well, you cannot compare it to California. It is more mild than the east coast. It tends to be more sunny than munich.

I just moved to Munich from Bamberg, which is near Erlangen. The weather is a bit warmer than Munich, and it doesn't quite snow so much, but don't sell your beach house just yet! There is an American Military post in Bamberg, so it shouldn't be a problem finding fellow English speakers.

Hi

living anywhere central is a good idea, there aren't any really bad areas, Altstadt is lovely and I'd avoid the blocks of flats on the edge of town. You'd be looking at about 300-600€ rent a month for a 1-bed flat btw, cheap it is not. And as a student town along with working high earners, the range of properties on offer is pretty wide in quality but also quite hard to find. Have you thought about a flatshare?

Food and drink is quite reasonable, there is a good bus and train network or you can cycle around pretty easily. I used to drink in the Fat Lady Sings (run by Swan - great Irish bloke, lovely toasted cheese sandwiches), Goldener Mond Irish Pub (run by Finnie, Innere Brücker Str.), the Dartmouth Inn is good for football but that's about it, nice food in the Druckhaus. Entla's the best biergarten. It is a student town so a lot of studenty places, plus probably the best Bierfest going - the Berg.

List of pubs

Maharadscha and House of India are two good curry houses, I rate the House of India being a bit better and the curry is very hot and tasty :)

Nürnberg is only 15mins away by train or car, some great places to go out there such as that big Irish pub near the station and a good Mexican place whose name I forget. E-Werk isn't really that bad, Central Park is an awful club, avoid. There are quite a few mad club nights, remember going to one in the Ikea car park once!

Cinemaxx shows a few things in English as does that tiny cinema in the middle.

Not sure about expat clubs, few from that way on here though.

Most of the Uni bookstores also sell English books and there is a selection in the central library too.

Lots of English-speakers at adidas & puma (in Herzo) as it is their internal language, some at Siemens and another lot in INA (engineers).

Minus 20? I've experienced a walk home from a Burns' Night party when it was -30! Erlangen sits in a dip, the wind comes straight from the North and it can get very very cold (but feel even colder). Summers tend to be pretty warm (again due to the dip).

Hope this helps!

naaaaah, don't exaggerate, Erlangen is not that cold, that's not true. I have been brought up there and lived there and in Nuernberg until I left for London a few years ago.

To sum it all up, it's a boring little sh*thole.

There are 2 clubs: Paisley Park (Top 50 Music, Fiddy etc. age range: 19) and the Zirkel.

Erlangen mainly consists of Siemens employees (Siemens headquarter in Erlangen) and Hospital employees and students.

The only highlight in Erlangen is approaching now in May, it's the annual Bergkirchweih and I will take a weeklong break to go there, it's something like the Oktoberfest, but much much nicer, it's the oldest beerfestival in Germany.

The best areas to live in Erlangen is the Erlanger Innenstadt (innercity), Alterlangen or also called Erlangen West and Burgberg which is the poshest area there.

Don't necessarily move to Erlangen Bruck or Erlangen Büchenbach.

There are a few bars and restaurants over there and as already mentioned before they are used to English speakers due to international students, Siemens, Puma, Adidas employees. Most of my mates over there work at Puma, Adidas or Siemens.

Just ask me if you have any questions, I know Erlangen inside out.

When I lived there it got down to minus 30. Sorry if your experience differed, but hey I can only post about mine.

It doesn't get minus 30 degrees over there, it's not friggin Siberia, when did you live there? In the Ice Age?

There are 2 clubs: Paisley Park (Top 50 Music, Fiddy etc. age range: 19) and the Zirkel. Just ask me if you have any questions, I know Erlangen inside out.

I would tend to trust Katrina. Especially because you left out the biggest club in Erlangen, "E-werk" which lends me into believing that your knowledge of Erlangen is lacking.

Ah, E-Werk, home of the worst poof club night in Germany, nay, the world, if anyone every wants to see the misery of being the only gay in the village, E-Werk's gay night would be the place to go. Do remember going to some top trade union piss-ups upstairs in there, not that I was a member though ha ha ha

General club nights more than passible in there though.

Papa Joe's was the name of the Mexican place in Erlangen, can't remember for the life of me what the one in N'berg is called.

Morning Oxymoron,

I spent my Erasmus years in Erlangen..Pretty enough place, but as you can obvioulsy expect it doesn't compare to a major city, but is charming in its own way.

I worked in this pub - Wheelers (www.wheelers-pub.com) which is right beside the Schloss. Opened about two years and run by a bloke called Ben...Wheeler, surprisingly enough. You should go in there, better than the Fat Lady Sings and the Goldener Mond, both of which aren't so popular these days.

Agree with everything Katina says...esp about the winter, gets bloody cold there! Make sure you are there for the Bergkirchweih, just as good, if not better than the Oktoberfest!! The clubbing is shit. There is a newish club ( called the Xclub or the X box or something like that.) behind the Hugendubel bookshop, which is alright for scoring, but other than that head to N'berg.

I would tend to trust Katrina. Especially because you left out the biggest club in Erlangen, "E-werk" which lends me into believing that your knowledge of Erlangen is lacking.

Believe me I know more than each single one of you about this sh*thole, I spent my childhood and youth until early 20ies there and then I had to leave because it was too much too bare, hahaha.

I only didn't mention E-Werk because it is a shite club where I stopped going after the age of 16, 17. They have some student parties there to begin of each semester but otherwise it's shit boring and you meet only ugly dudes in there. I like electro and not some metal or indie b/s, well I liked that sort of b/s when I was a teen, but metal luckily I always despised.

The other clubs are not much better, actually there is not one friggin place in the whole of Erlangen that would be worth of visiting apart from maybe the Bergkirchweih.

Well, there is only one bar that I liked which is the best in the whole of Erlangen, it's the Transfer in the Westliche Stadtmauerstrasse, that little street behind the Hauptbahnhof, that's a good place, ok people and nice electro tune on the right day, but sadly that's about it, there is nothing more to Erlangen.

It's an ok and safe place to spent your childhood in, but you are punished if you have to go there for work reasons or if you are looking for a party. Ok it still can get worse, only think of having to go to Magdeburg, Halle or other beautiful towns in East Germany, hahahahhaha.

During my studies I worked there as a waitress at this Mexican Bar: Sausalitos (10 times better than friggin Papa Joe's or Enchiladas in Munich) and most of the people who worked there in the kitchen were either Irish or English, that also explains why a lot of people got stomach upsets after dining in the restaurant, it was good for a piss up but not so good for food.

I know all of those Irish dudes who work in Wheelers, Murphy's Law, Fat Lady, as these are the same guys I used to work in the Sausalitos with, cannot believe they haven't left this shith*le yet after so many years, I always felt like lebendig begraben (burried alive) in Erlangen, that's probably the best way to describe it, nice lil town for pensioners and toddlers.

Boring place, boring people, nothing to do that sums it up quite nice, hehe.

Also re the temperatures, I do agree that it can get cold, but in those 22 or 23 years I lived there it was once minus 17 degrees but never more, you are talking b/s if you claim it was minus 30, absolutely not true, you aven't got a clue mate.

If you can name one Irish guy who worked in Wheelers or Murphy's Law I might believe you.

But to say that basically you were food poisoned by the Irish/Englsih staff in Sausailtos is a step way too far. How did you come to this conclusion? Firstly, Erlangen is a hard enough place to get a casual job when you are a foreigner since its a student city. Secondly, in light of this how many Eng/irish ppl do you reckon are going to be running kitchens. Not many Id say.Thirdly, if it was true that for some reason having Eng/irish staff in your kitchens, how come nobody ever complained of being food poisoned in Wheelers, where the staff was all Eng/Irish.

Your Maj you are talking thru ur hole.

This is really amusing to read and I felt that I should try to put an end to the 'slagging off' of Erlangen!

I think 'Her Majesty' is definitely quite opinionated about Erlangen…but she is living in London!!??...I could think of many other places that I would rather live. So I may miss the shops & a decent curry but the rest??...forget it!

Did you never think to take a 20 min. train journey to Nürnberg?? The nightlife there is much more lively, I have lived there for 4 years and work near Erlangen along with a lot of Expats from England, Scotland, Ireland, America, Canada, India, Indonesia, China etc…shall I go on?

Well I really love Nürnberg as it's so safe, crime is minimal, it's really clean, great bars & clubs, good restaurants…maybe a slight shortage on good-looking guys but England is certainly no different!

So getting back to the whole point of this thread to the first posting. There are many Expats living in this area but maybe Nürnberg is a better option for going out and meeting new people. There is an English pub called the 'Kings Arms', also Finnegans, The Druid, O'Shea's, The Castle, O'Neal's and the Shamrock, which of course are all Irish bars and I know quite a few people that either own or work in them and they are English and Irish mainly!

...you can always find people to talk to in them, but I would say that The Druid, Kings Arms and Finnegans would be a good starting point. I can always be found in any of them, although not always sober :blink:

Also if she grew up in Erlangen, that means she just hung out in front of Kaufland drinking out of cans of beer. Erlangen is small, quaint and definitely not a place to live for over a couple of years. But there are many places to go to that are quite close and there is enough to do to interest anyone as long as you stay away from the kaufland kids

Hello,

I just moved here from USA for a month. Looking for the fun things to do while I am here. I dont speak German and that is a huge handicap. Any suggestions would be great.

Topics merged by admin

There's a magazine named Plarrer that you can pick up for 2 Euros for the month of May at the newstand and it list all the entertainment happenings in Erlangen, Furth, and Nuremberg and some other communities close by. It also have restaurant listing as well. If you are interested in hiking there's great hiking in the Steigerwald and in "franconian switzerland". There are hiking cards that shows you the paths and you can pick up at hiking cards at the train station newstand. If you have any other question, feel free to PM me or ask on the thread.

I grew up in the Erlangen area and I have only learnt to appreciate its flair after living abroad in a big city. You can have a lot of fun in Erlangen if you know the right places. If you want to meet English native speakers it's best to go the Wheeler's Pub.

hiya!

I'm from Spain 'n I'm movin' to erlangen the next month to study (I'm Erasmus), and I really need a buddy there! I'm doin' some research for myself, but i don't get all the info that i need.

If someone is interessed in a spanish buddy just text me a PM! ;)

thanks!

Hi!!

I'm going to be moving to Erlangen in about a month to live with my boy. I really love to cook and will have a lot of spare time on my hands for the first two months. Can anyone recommend any good organic/fresh food markets in the area?

:-)