Does a Ph.d student need to pay tax as freelancer?

26 posts in this topic

@engelchen: Yes, I think this is the last resort!

@robinson100: Thanks for your suggestion, I will do that. Regarding 100% information, I don't think much is left. If you read my posts I mentioned that:

I am a non-german Ph.d student in an industry (whatever the name is, e.g VW, DT etc)with §18 residence permit. I have a private health insurance.

What else can be told? I just wanted to know if there are people already have experienced with that so I don't need to re-invent the wheel before doing research for which I was not being paid ;)

As I said earlier:

you've not mentioned who is paying you and this is central to the point of whether your stipend is tax-free

Regarding 100% information, I don't think much is left.

Yes, the name of the company.

Come on, industry is industry. Does it make difference for different companies? like VW or Daimler?

Something does not add up and personally I can't be bothered playing a guessing game with you. Assuming everything that you told us is accurate and you are working in "industry" (what I understand to be the private sector), your employer has completely screwed up.

You claim to have a permit under §18, which means that the ABH considers you an employee (and you are most probably not allowed to freelance with it).

Income received by PhD students from companies in the private sector is not tax-free.

You are not receiving a tax-free stipend, but rather are an employee who should be paying German income tax, pension, unemployment insurance, and public health care (assuming that you are making under 50k/year).

On 8/17/2011, 2:24:25, ali.pak said:

Thanks, let me hire a tax advisor.

Hello ali.pak,

It's been so long from the time of your post. And I am now in the same situation like you were then.

I am currently in the same situation like you. I have the questions regarding the taxes, VAT tax and health insurance topics. 

And I am wondering that may be you could share your experience and what you have done in this case. It would be really helpful for me. Thanks a lot in advance!

Regards.