English-speakers' meetings in Erfurt, Weimar, Jena

70 posts in this topic

Hey,

Wondering if there are any regular get-togethers of English speakers in Erfurt, Weimar or Jena? Especially for people who live in the area more or less permanently. I know there's a Stammtish in Jena, made up largely of younger students on exchange, but I was hoping to find something with a profile towards more long term residents in the area.

I've two young children with my German partner, and am looking to have a beer with English speakers in the area once in a while. Unexpected bonus if you share my interests in fishing, trekking, books, and entrepreneurship!

ooh. I will be coming to Jena in October for my Masters studies. I thought there's a stammtisch organized by the Uni's english department or something like that? I'm from Singapore by the way.

As far as I know there is still a regular English Stammtisch (not just native speakers) in Weimar at the Brasserei on Rollplatz. You might look on the Bauhaus-Uni's Pinnwand. It is hosted by a British prof/teacher who is quite friendly.

The Stammtisch is still over at the Marktmuehle on Tuesday nights. At the very end of the semester and during break, attendance drops a lot, but the summer in Jena runs until the first week of July. : ) Usually we're in the the first room you come into when you enter the Marktmuehle through the passage, but lately, we've started moving outside to the tables by the Stadtmuseum, too.

Hope you can join with them. (because I also still not join this one ^^)

The Stammtisch in Jena hosted by the English department is still on Tuesday nights at around 9 at Marktmuehle. While it's mostly motivated university students, there are always some native speakers around (a couple of students on exchange, but also lecturers and often a couple of people living in the community).

I am out of town for the next few weeks, but maybe we could pick a date and time for a Toytown Stammtisch in late September/ early October? It doesn't take too much effort to pick a time and reserve a table somewhere. : )

I am out of town for the next few weeks, but maybe we could pick a date and time for a Toytown Stammtisch in late September/ early October? It doesn't take too much effort to pick a time and reserve a table somewhere. : )

Just inform me where and when ^^

OK, since no one has suggested a time, date, or location yet, how about October 5 at 8 p.m. at Stilbruch in the Wagnergasse in Jena? That way, there isn't a clash with the other major foreign language Stammtisch nights.

Let me know by September 28 if you are planning to come, so I can book a table.

Hello, the Erfurt Toastmasters Club meets in Erfurt at Louisiana Restaurant (Futterstr 14). Next meeting is on the 21st of September at 7 pm.

I still haven't heard from anyone about the possibility of meeting up on October 5. If you're still interested, drop me a line.

sorry, I am not keeping up on all these forums as well as I should... October 5 would be great for me!

yomintyfresh, count me in for October 5 in Jena as well.

But surely, it won't just be you, me and jlmcmillian...just the three of us? if we can't get more, maybe we can just meet up before the nexy English Stammtisch?

btw, don't mind me asking, but how long will you guys be in the area? I am a permanent, so somewhat more interested in meeting other lifers.

Jeremy, that sounds like a plan. Shall we just meet by the Hanfried at 8 on Tuesday night instead, since there's just three of us?

I am planning to be a lifer in Germany and will likely be in Jena for the next four years or so.

do you mean this tuesday 8pm, Restaurant Hanfried Markt 15?

should be able to make it

i wear a new orleans saints shirt since its (american) football season now

This Tuesday, 8 p.m., but next to the Hanfried statue (the big fat guy on the market square) - from there, it's usually easy to pick a place to go to. Haven't ever been to Hanfried restaurant and can't vouch for its quality but we can all head over to the restaurant together, if you'd like. : )

I've got an orange backpack and need to do laundry really badly, so I don't know what I'll be wearing yet!

I'm in Erfurt and would like to meet up with Expats on a more long-term basis here...Moved here about 2 years ago for my fiance. I'm originally from LA, CA and made it through these insane winters, so I guess I'll survive living here indefinitely. It's beautiful and clean here but I must comment on the lack of diversity, English speakers, a real night and culture scene. My interests are art, culture, entrepreneurship, night/social scene, FOOD, traveling, music, and everything in between. Not too much of a sports type person though.

Sorry guys I cant join with you tonight. Bit tired today. May be we can arrange another meeting, but hopefully on the weekend ^^

Enjoy your dinner guys :)

ugh, sorry, I have been too busy and not following this thread frequently enough! I will try to be more on top of things :-(

I had a nice time with yomintyfresh earlier this week. It was great to finally speak in English on subjects beyond the weather and football players. It has also been a while since I've met anyone who is as into books as I am (and she probably more). Good thing our tastes are pretty far apart otherwise we'd soon be having fierce arguments on semantics and what Kafka said about Hamsun.

Let's do this again in a few weeks. Maybe travelmonster826 will join us then.

travelmonster826, welcome to the area. Let me be the first to say that I am happy that there's another native English speaker who's going to be here for a long time. I spent several summers in LA...watching the Rose Bowl and visiting my best friend in Orange County. I have to say, I like Thuringia just the way it is. Diversity is great but it would be such a bore if the whole world was kinda the same diversity wise. You could pretty much jump from LA to London to Frankfurt to Singapore and get the same experience. A place like Thuringia gives you a taste of something different.

jlmcmillian and partner are thinking about coming down to my house for lunch/dinner and maybe a few hours hiking, sometime in November. Anyone else interested? My car can fit two more people...any more than that, we'd need another driver+car. FYI, I'm 40 minutes drive from Jena and 50 minutes from Erfurt, you can come here by train too.